FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed issues

jamespinner
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 12

Hi,

I have been having some weird issues with my download speeds  and have ran out of ideas on what the problem could be.

For completeness i'm currently on the faster fibre plan (70mbps download and 20mbps upload)

I have been having some weird download speed issues where speedtests have been showing slow download speeds and downloading from the browser is really slow (see pictures below) and additionally i have been seeing alot of lagging while playing online games. However when i download a game through steam i get the full download speed and youtube also see a higher download speed.

slow download.PNGspeedtest.PNGsteam.PNGtalktalk speed test.PNG

I contacted talktalk through the live chat and was told that the connection to router was running at the advertised speed of 70mbps and it was a problem in my home and gave me the option of consulting my hardware manufactorer or paying £40 for an engineer to come out. As i was told the connection to the router was ok i decided to see if i could find the problem myself.

So far i have 

- Replaced the ethernet cable, microfilter and adsl line with and without being connected to the test socket.

-reset the router, (live chat agent also reset the router to factory settings)

-updated then reinsatll the lan drivers

-Tried different ethernet ports on the router.

- tried a pcie network card and wifi card in my pc 

- reset windows.

None of these have helped the issue, next i borrowed my friends ps4 and connected that to the ethernet (pics below)ps4 talktalk2.jpgps4 talktalk.jpgps4 speedtest2.jpgps4 speedtest.jpgps4 connection.jpg

As seen in the pictures the ps4 has low download speeds and fail at the upload test on the speedtests.

On looking online i find mention of router logs and upon looking at these i found instances of an ethernet port being connected and disconnected within a short space of time.

ethernet dropout.PNG

Ethernet port 1 at the time was my home pc.

ethernet dropout 2.PNG

Same occurs when ethernet in port 2

ethernet.PNG

Image above shows ethernet disconnects for the home pc (ethernet port 1) and ps4 (ethernet port 4)

I really dont know what else i can do after this so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before i have to pay £40 to get an engineer out.

Sorry for the massive post 

Thanks

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi jamespinner

That's great, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

HI, 

Just an update, I have received the new hub today and the download speeds are so far back to the speeds i was expecting. Will update if anything changes.

Thanks for all your help

Message 3 of 12

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Thanks, 

I'll update here after i have tested with the new hub 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi James

i'll get a different model Hub to you and see if this is better.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi, 

My current hub is TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K10002816trouter.jpg

i included a pic as im not sure if it has a name only what i found on the router page.

i have tried 2 different ethernet cables connecting to both a desktop pc and a playstation 4 with the same results.

I dont have another hub to test with unfortunately. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

@jamespinnerso from the looks of that screen grab your Hub is getting 80Mbits down from the line which is good 👍

What's not so good is what's then coming out of the hub. What hub do you currently have?

Have you tried a different ethernet cable and/or device?

Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Please start your own thread,  @Tobywiltob.

You need to return to the message board and click on start a topic. 

Also, you must complete your community forum profile details for TT staff to identify your account. 

Please go via your avatar/name; settings; Profile Wizard. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 9 of 12

I am having the exact same issues at the moment and I've have tried everything and can't find a fix have youbhad any more luck?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Hi,

yes i am connected to ethernet when running the speed tests. 

The service centre says everything is fine

image_2021-06-07_210254.png

0 Likes

Ste_Nix14
Community Star
Message 11 of 12
Are you connected via ethernet when running these speed tests?

What speeds does Service centre report?
Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes