FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed much slower than sync

joneagle
Participant
Message 25 of 25

Hello there, I've been having some weird issues since upgrading from Fibre 35 to Fibre 65 (unsure if that's relevant but worth mentioning!).

Currently though our connection is stable and the router is showing 38mb downloading speed, but devices are getting a max of about 25mb/s, both wired and wifi.

Is there some obvious setting on the router I can tweak that may be causing this? I know I can restart the router, either quickly or 30 mins off, but I'm loathe to do that again as we have had a number of line drops recently and don't want DLM to kill our speed. Or is it likely I need a new router?

I'm a relatively experienced IT professional so know my way around settings but fibre and broadband are a bit of a dark art to me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 21 of 25

Hi joneagle

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I think we should send a replacement router for testing first, are you happy for me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 22 of 25

Hi Debbie,

Thank you, I've updated my info. My partner is the account holder, not me, but I have added our talktalk phone number to my account.

So since I posted, I have on more than one occasion turned the router off and left it for 30 minutes with varying results. When the line is running at a decent speed (as in more than 30mb/s) and I power my Nintendo Switch on, it seems to cause some issue with the router and the DSL line resets, bringing the speed back down from ~38mb to ~28mb. Today the router says it is syncing at less than 25mb/s which is lower than my guaranteed rate. I haven't yet restarted as my partner has a meeting online.

EDIT: I've also this morning had the 2.4GHZ channel stop providing internet to connected devices. I logged into the router, turned that band off and back on, and that seems to have fixed that particular glitch for now.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 23 of 25

Hi joneagle

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 24 of 25

Hi @joneagle,

A router shut down of over 30 minutes is the most common fix for this issue (although it doesn't always fix it).

DLM monitors your connection stats separately for each day, so drops on previous days won't get 'added' to a drop today, and anyway, as long as you leave the router off for over 30 minutes then DLM should not count that at all, as it is clever enough to assume that if there was no attempt to connect for over 30 minutes then it was a deliberate power down and not a 'fault'.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.