FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual band?

Georgeivs
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 10

Hi, I need to know if my router is dual band as I need need it to connect to the 2.4GHz band rather than 5GHz.

George

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10
0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

I got everything sorted out at the weekend and your information was very helpful.

Thanks again,

George

Message 3 of 10

Thanks Martin, I'll let you know how I get on

George

Message 4 of 10

The router will transmit both bands at the same time, so giving them different names will make it easy for you to see which provides the best signal in each area of your home.

The 2.4 Ghz band is better at penetrating walls than the 5 Ghz.

With modern devices both bands can provide speeds to devices in excess of the incoming broadband speed although the 5 Ghz band can connect at faster speeds.

If you have close neighbours then WiFi interference can be a problem and the Sagemcom has a feature that supposedly connects to the best channel in your area but that itself has been known to be unreliable.

Message 5 of 10
By default the bands are named the same so devices that support either bands can connect to the most appropriate fpr distance and speed etc.
Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!
0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Thanks again Martin,

I'll try working it out, but I'm no IT expert.

It is a Sagemcom, so being dual band, I suppose you can switch from one to the other? But is one better than the other between 5 and 2.4? Obviously, if a product does not work with 5 GHz 2.4 is better! Shame they don't make everything universal for the benefit of people like me (easily confused by IT)

George

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

You have the Sagemcom HUB, so it's dual band.

You can give each WiFi band different names if you wish.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Split-your-router-s-SSID-wireless-network-name/ta-p/230...

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Thanks Martin,

I'll try that. The router is Product Version: Fast 5364-3 TB/AV3.C1, but if they are all 2.4 there must be some other problem stopping me linking a remote plug.

George

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 9 of 10

@Georgeivs  what model router do you have ?

They are different to the WiFi details and may be behind the pull out card.

Then go to the Wireless Setting and see if there are details for both bands.

All TT routers and HUBS have the 2.4 Ghz band as standard.

0 Likes