FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eero 6 - Poor range

Ashloi
First Timer
Message 14 of 14

Good morning,

I've recently upgraded to a FTTP package and, while impressed with speeds in the same room as my Eero gateway, I'm finding that the connection stability / speed is dripping substantially when moving from room to room. This is more pronounced and impossible to use in the kitchen, two rooms away, where speed dips to Kbps.

This is a bit disappointing, given I was lured to this package on the promise of 'total home WiFi', when my old router gave a better signal!

Any advice on expanding the range of my Eero would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

ColinK98
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 14

@Ashloi wrote:

@ColinK98 I only have 1 Eero unit currently, so that may of course explain things a bit...

Ashloi.

the total home wifi concept (from all ISP's) is going to be the use of 1 or more Eero type units to create a wireless mesh.
In my case i have the main Eero unit in the living room where my broadband comes into the house.
i have another in my office which is upstairs and a 3rd in the dinning room at the back of the house

Screenshot 2021-10-27 102301.jpg

the 3 units all communicate with each other either via wireless or ethernet.
as you move around the house your mobile device will connect to the Eero that is closest to you and that Eero will them communicate back to the Eero that is connected the to broadband, in this way the range of your wireless signal is extended throughout the house.

As per Gondola's Post
in the talk talk information it says
where necessary, additional Amazon eeros to achieve it.

get onto support and work them to establish you need more Eero units to provide suitable coverage thought out your house.

Message 2 of 14

Hi Ashloi 

I would recommend you contact the Future Fibre Support Team to discuss the Wi-Fi coverage for your home.

My thoughts are that there could be a problem with the eero6 or with wi-fi interference / channel / band selection in your home.

The Future Fibre Team will be able to help with a swap out of the supplied eero6 to validate a fault with the original.

Not quite sure how total home wi-fi coverage can be assured without a survey but that is what the total home wi-fi coverage product is for. If that's what you were promised then perhaps the solution would be to send an engineer with a swap out eero6 and check out the wi-fi interference on site and any dead spot areas where coverage is needed. I'm pre-empting what the Future Fibre Team might do as it's their decision; I'm just suggesting the logical approach that I would take.

Have a look at the  Future Fibre Support Hub here and you'll see that there's a LiveChat option lower down the page that you could use tomorrow after 9am.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

Ashloi
First Timer
Message 3 of 14

@ColinK98 I only have 1 Eero unit currently, so that may of course explain things a bit...

@Gondola Thanks a lot for the extra info, really useful. Only trouble is, I don't particularly want an add on to provide a service I understood I was getting in the first place.

Not really sure where to turn from here other than opening a support case - is that possible from community or something I will need to get in touch about?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi @Ashloi 

Just asking if you've had a look at the Help page  About Total Home Wi-Fi?  This is a possible solution to achieving whole home coverage by adding on the Total Home Wi-Fi product to a Future Fibre package. 

And if you've had a look at the description of the product:

Description: The Total Home Wi-Fi add-on is an upgrade available for our Ultrafast broadband services that are supplied with an Amazon eero. If you don’t achieve Total Home Coverage (as detailed below) with your Ultrafast service, we’ll provide you with additional configuration and technical support and, where necessary, additional Amazon eeros to achieve it.

Our Total Home Coverage Promise: Total Home Coverage means you have a download speed of at least 10Mbps in all eligible rooms. We’ll help you achieve Total Home Coverage, where your home falls within the following parameters:

(i) up to 6 bedrooms;

(ii) no basements, cellars or below street level rooms;

(iii) no outbuildings or garden rooms; and

(iv) any other reasonable parameters notified by us from time to time.

Where you aren’t achieving Total Home Coverage, you agree we may send an engineer to investigate.

Availability: The Total Home Wi-Fi add-on is only available on our Ultrafast services that are supplied with an Amazon eero, including Fibre 150 Data Only and Fibre 500 Data Only.

Eligibility: The Total Home Wi-Fi add-on is subject to an initial phone or online home assessment. If your home doesn’t pass our assessment, you won’t be eligible for our Total Home Coverage Promise as we may be unable to help you achieve Total Home Coverage. However, we may still be able to help you improve your home broadband coverage. If you still wish to purchase the Total Home Wi-Fi add-on despite such ineligibility, you may, but you won’t be able to use the cancellation option noted in the optimisation period section below.

New minimum period: A new 18 or 24 month minimum period will apply to your Ultrafast service and Total Home Wi-Fi add-on from your upgrade date, as agreed with you and detailed in your order confirmation email.

Charges: We won’t charge you for the remaining duration of your current Ultrafast service or apply an upgrade fee, but you’ll have to pay the ongoing monthly charges for your Ultrafast service and Total Home Wi-Fi add-on for the new minimum period, as agreed with you and detailed in your order confirmation email.

What you must do: Provide any reasonable information requested by us, and follow reasonable instructions given by us, regarding the Total Home Wi-Fi add-on.

Optimisation period: If you don’t achieve Total Home Coverage in the first 45 days of your upgrade, you may cancel your Total Home Wi-Fi add-on (but not any other service) without paying a contract breakage fee, provided: (i) you tell us before 5.30pm on day 45; (ii) if requested by us, you let us conduct an in-person home assessment to validate the failure to achieve Total Home Coverage; and (iii) any Amazon eeros provided as part of the Total Home Wi-Fi add-on are returned to us in accordance with our instructions, and in the condition they were provided. If you cancel your Total Home Wi-Fi add-on within your minimum period after day 45, or you do not return the applicable Amazon eeros in accordance with the above, you’ll be charged a contract breakage fee equal to £6 for each full month remaining in your minimum period. If you cancel any other services, other contract breakage fees may apply.

Other important information: These terms and conditions apply in addition to any other terms and conditions you’ve agreed with us, including the TalkTalk Customer Terms and Conditions. Your home data may be combined with other data we use to improve customer experience (in accordance with our Privacy Policy). Amazon eeros provided by us can only be used on our network and with the above Ultrafast services, otherwise they may be deactivated. For any engineer appointments, a date and arrival time slot will be agreed with you, which you can reschedule before noon the day before (or noon on a Saturday if you have a Monday slot) without incurring a cost.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

ColinK98
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 14

How many of the Eero units do you have ?
the idea of total home wifi may well require more than one Eero unit to provide coverage.

0 Likes

Ashloi
First Timer
Message 6 of 14

Hi again,

I've contacted Eero support (not via the app - this still only linked me to TalkTalk) and they have run through some diagnostics with me, but still no improvement.

However, I'm not thinking the device is absolutely fine, I'm just not getting the range I was promised by TalkTalk.

As there is clearly nothing wrong with the Eero, just the range being worse than the previous router, what can be done to improve this please?

As mentioned before, I was sold this on the lure of 'total home wifi', which currently is t being achieved.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Ashloi

The app should offer a way to contact eero support if required

Chris

0 Likes

ColinK98
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 14

i have 3 of the Eero units and i get excellent connection everywhere in the house..
Except for my daughters room...
you can stand in the door way of her room and get 120+
but move 4 feet to sitting on her bed and the connections gets really poor.
i have been trying to find the source of the interference but as of yet i have not been able to nail it down.

Ashloi
First Timer
Message 9 of 14

Hi again,

I've tried all troubleshooting options on the Eero app but the issue persists. The support option on the Eero app link to the Talktalk site, so here I am again 😁

Is there any further advice you can offer?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

OK thanks, please let us know how you get on 🙂

Ashloi
First Timer
Message 11 of 14

Thanks for your replies.

I've not yet tried Eero support - I'll do so and revert back. Yes, the Eero is plugged straight to the ONT and the old router is disconnected.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hello,

Can I just add to this, do you have the eero connected directly to the ONT (Openreach modem)? You don't still have the wifi hub connected do you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 14

Hi Ashloi,

Could I just ask, have you tried getting support with your issue via the eero app?

Chris