FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of contract / renewal / upgrade

fade2gray
Whizz Kid
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

I recently received an email informing me that my old Faster Fibre contract, for which I have been paying £24.95/m, is due for renewal.

The email states that if I don't want to renew my contract I can either continue out of contract paying £33.95/m or, as Faster Fibre is no longer available, I can click on an embedded link to renew my contract moving it to Fibre 35 at £23.00/m.

If I log in and go to My Account, I can't find any means to move to Fibre 35, only an offer to upgrade to Fibre 65 at £28.00/m.

The thing is, ThinkBroadband shows Talk Talk offering Fibre 35 and 65 at £21/m and £23/m respectively to new customers. If I allow my contract to elapse, can I take advantage of those new customer offers, or doesn't it work like that?

Also, it has been debated in the past whether my line is capable of attaining the speed increase offered by Fibre 65, so, if my line is not capable of downloads speeds greater than 40Mb/s why am I being offered to upgrade to Fibre 65 by Talk Talk?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 14

@fade2gray My understanding is that your package price will not increase for the duration of the 18 month contract, but after that will rise by the annual CPI rate. 

0 Likes

fade2gray
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 14

Oh well, I took the  plunge and just upgraded to Fibre 65. I was eventually offered the fixed rate 18 month contract at £23.95 or the variable rate contract at £21. I took the former as it doesn't get the yearly CPI price increase which, if I got my maths right, the variable rate would catch up after 3 years or so.

Anyhow, I shall be a happy bunny if I get an extra couple of Mbs download speed on top of what I already get for paying £1 a month less than I was previously. 👍

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 14

@bob78249 The same advice applies to all: get in touch with the customer loyalty team. Other than that, if you want to discuss your own issues further then please start your own topic. 

0 Likes

bob78249
Team Player
Message 4 of 14

I have decided to leave talk talk, been with them for 18 years, they have been playing these stupid games with contracts for far too long, don't even talk about the TV merry go round once your on that your on it for life.

Bye bye talk talk.

Message 5 of 14

@fade2gray wrote:

Q1. If I allow my contract to elapse, can I take advantage of those new customer offers, or doesn't it work like that?

A1. Basically, no - you have to leave for a year before being able to qualify for a new customer deal.

It may well be true that you have to have been away for over a year to be regarded as a "new customer" on return, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get a deal as good as those offered to new customers. As others have advised, phone (or chat) to Loyalty Team and ask what they can do for you, use quotes from other ISPs as leverage to haggle etc.

@fade2gray wrote:

the legacy package I'm on, Faster Fibre, is stated as being £31.95 full rate, and yet when I'm out of contract they want to charge me £33.95. The latest Fibre 35/65 packages are stated as both being £29.95, but discounted to £21 and £23 for new customers

Do you know if the £33.95 is just for the basic package or are any extras (calling features etc) included? (perhaps the TV charge they like to automatically add when you renew online, whether you want it or not?)

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 6 of 14

Phone them up to negotiate a better deal,  @fade2gray.

What happens if you phone the "in life recontract" number in the link I first sent you, rather than clicking on "get deal"?

Having investigated other companies, use those figures to haggle a better deal.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

...forum staff can't help you set the deal up.

Thank you @Gliwmaeden2, I have been visiting these forums long enough to know that forum staff can't help me get a better deal. All I did was state my case and ask two questions.

Q1. If I allow my contract to elapse, can I take advantage of those new customer offers, or doesn't it work like that?

A1. Basically, no - you have to leave for a year before being able to qualify for a new customer deal.

Q2. Why does Talk Talk offer me a Fibre 65 upgrade when forum staff says my line isn't capable (even though my router says different)?

A2. Sounds like you are better with Fibre35.

You can see the full, out of contract price for your package detailed here.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-pricing/ta-p/2212258

Yes, the legacy package I'm on, Faster Fibre, is stated as being £31.95 full rate, and yet when I'm out of contract they want to charge me £33.95. The latest Fibre 35/65 packages are stated as both being £29.95, but discounted to £21 and £23 for new customers according to ThinkBroadband, but for customers who joined before March 2021 (e.g. me) the full rate for both is £32.45. Go figure.

Quote from moneysavingexpert, "Car and home insurers to be banned from charging renewing customers more than newbies in loyalty penalty crackdown". It's a shame they don't do the same for ISPs - I'm just fed up with the same old dance.

I spoke with PlusNet Live Chat regarding their Unlimited Fibre Extra at £23.95 with a £60 reward card. They offered me an extra reward to cover the cost of any penalty charge for leaving my contract early - it's beginning to sound tempting.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 8 of 14

@fade2gray and @bob78249, forum staff can't help you set the deal up.

All they can do is check that what you agree with the loyalty department has been set up correctly, or correct errors.

So phone / Chat are the only options if you want to avoid setting up online.

Different agents see different offers - anything less than full price is considered a special deal.

You can see the full, out of contract price for your package detailed here.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-pricing/ta-p/2212258

0 Likes

bob78249
Team Player
Message 9 of 14

Hi, i get the same as fade2grey, there is no other option but to upgrade or pay more for what you have already even though i had an email saying i could have 35, that didn't work either.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Thanks for the feedback @Gliwmaeden2,

However the "in life recontract" options here should work:

https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/providers/talktalk-upgrades/

Clicking the Get Deal buttons only redirect me to Talk Talk My Account log in and nothing else.

Chat from this link, near the bottom of this page:

Prior to making my original post, I'd had a PM chat with an operator on TT's Facebook page, which basically ended with me being told they have no knowledge of any other deals and had to stick with options available to me. After that, I used Chat Now to enquire about a better deal for Fibre 65, and was told that only £26 or £28 packages were available - possibly the difference between a 24-month and 18-month contract, they didn't really explain.

Sounds like you are better with Fibre35.

Well, my current Huawei router reports a theoretical maximum download speed of ~65Mb/s.

Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):65848

But, I will try calling the number provided and see if talking with someone on retentions/customer loyalty gets me any further, but I won't be holding my breath with regard to Bojangle's post - if it gets nowhere, I shall seriously think of taking Plusnet's current offer on a similar package - not something I take lightly after being with LineOne > Tiscali > Talk Talk for 23 years.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 14

No, @bob78249, there are lots of options if you follow the advice I gave @fade2gray.

0 Likes

bob78249
Team Player
Message 12 of 14

I have the same problem here there is no option for Fibre 35, this happens every time i'm coming to the end of my contract, the only option is to upgrade to a higher package or pay more for a lesser one.

Or leave.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

You can't take up offers as a new customer till you've been away from Talktalk altogether for a year - not just out of contract, @fade2gray.

However the "in life recontract" options here should work:

https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/providers/talktalk-upgrades/

OR just phone them up and haggle, and avoid unwanted extras:

03451 720046

Chat from this link, near the bottom of this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529

Sounds like you are better with Fibre35.

Avoid renewing through My Account  as they add the TV extra, @ £4.00 usually, which means you have to phone up etc to remove it if you don't want it. 

They don't hone the offers well to the capacity of your specific line - hence Fibre65  showing.