FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic Wi-Fi

gismowl
Team Player
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

After having had my broadband speed issue fixed (thanks), I'm now suffering irregular dropouts of the wi-fi. Every day, or two, there appears to be some sort of hiccup in the wi-fi that results in the 'smart' speaker(s) losing the connection and not automatically re-connecting. The wired connection to my desktop remains stable and at the guaranteed speed, but the wi-fi connection to the 'smart' speakers or iPad is not dependable.

Of course, since these devices are not used constantly, it only becomes obvious that there is a problem when streaming music or radio through the speaker is interrupted by a message that there is a problem connecting to the internet or when trying to view e-mails on the iPad and finding that you can't update.

Wi-fi analyzer shows that my TalkTalk signal is by far the strongest wi-fi in my home and neighbouring wi-fi signals are not only much weaker but, usually, on different channels. Switching off the router, waiting, and switching back on provides a temporary cure, with the devices re-connecting successfully - a speedtest on the iPad showing a speed similar to wired desktop - until, that is, the wi-fi drops out again.

Is this likely due to a 'flaky' router or can you think of another cause?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi

I'll keep my fingers crossed here too.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Yes Karl, I thought of that too and had three different channels used over the weekend, to no avail.

Hopefully, whatever the cause, it was temporary as the wi-fi seems OK at the moment. Just strange that the 'smart' speakers were working, but the Fire Stick and 'smart' plugs/sockets disappeared from connection piecemeal and not at one time. Fingers-crossed.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 10

Hi

There could be a source of interference from somewhere, you could try a few different wifi channels and see how the power levels compare.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi Debbie, I thought that I would leave a reply until a reasonable testing period was completed.

The new router, which arrived very quickly, seemed to have solved the erratic wi-fi issue ...... until this last weekend, when my 'smart plugs/sockets' disappeared from view and connection almost one-by-one. Strangely, the 'smart' speakers continued to work as normal. Reviewing the wi-fi environment with "wi-fi analyzer" showed the 2.4GHz signal to be weaker from the router than that from my printer! But, this morning, I was able to reconnect the smart plugs - even though the printer signal is still stronger (TT -41dBm and HP -39dBm at a metre) and the 'Fire Stick' shows the network as marginal. The 'analyzer' still shows the TT and HP signals as at least 15-20 dBm stronger than neighbouring wi-fi and nothing had physically changed in the house, so I am at a loss to understand the apparent lack of the 2.4GHz connection to the 'smart' kit.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Message 6 of 10

Will do, thanks.

Message 7 of 10

Hi gismowl

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Thanks Debbie, that seems a sensible approach.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 10

Hi gismowl

Sorry for the delay.

I think we should send a replacement router for testing. Are you happy for me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes