FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extender not compatible with Hub

Kirsten2
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 14

I am really hoping someone can help me out here.  We used to have normal fibre broadband using a very old Huawei router.  We have always used a netgear ex7000 and enjoyed good strong wifi to the end of the garden.  Since 'upgrading' to the fibre 150, the extender no longer holds a connection and now has stopped connecting completely - it is showing as having a full signal, but the internet is not working - no pages will load.  We can't go back onto the old router as the master socket has been changed and it only works with the new hub.  So frustrating as this hub is meant to be better but we have had nothing but trouble with it!  Does anyone know if a new extender will fix the issue and if so any recommendations for something that is compatible with the hub?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

I get this error?

It looks like the webpage atXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX might be having issues or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Thank you Karl

Ironically the connection has been more stable recently with the extender, but still not as good as it was on the old router.

Keith - any suggestions you may have would be much appreciated!

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi Kirsten2

optimisation is now off for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi @Kirsten2 

As @martswain has said, the OCEs can definitely do this for you. It would not surprise me, although this is just a guess, that the OCEs have access to more remote access configuration than the call centre staff. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 6 of 14

@Kirsten2  as per post #6 from @Debbie-TalkTalk , she or another OCE will be able to complete your request once they are back from their Easter break.

Message 7 of 14

So after 2 hours on the phone Talktalk are more saying they can't disable optimisation? 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

I've completed my profile with the information. Talktalk please disable wifi optimisation as previously requested. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Kirsten2

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile.

I can then switch off the WIFI optimisation.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Thank you Keith, that would be great.

Talktalk, can you please disable Wifi Optimisation?

Message 11 of 14

Yes you are correct about Powerline technology & separate electrical ring circuits.

The problem is probably caused by WiFi interference degrading the signal between the Sagemcom & the Asus. Any changes in other peoples routers in your immediate vicinity can introduce such interference that wasn't there the previous day/week or month etc.

However, before looking into this, you will need to ask TalkTalk to disable their remote diagnostic utility called "WiFi Optimisation", otherwise, it can overwrite any changes that I might suggest to do with its WiFi configuration. To get it disabled, all you have to do is to reply to this post, requesting that they disable it for you.

Once it has been done, I can help you with the interference issues, if you want me to.

Keith

Message 12 of 14

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - yes it is definitely a hub.  When we upgraded and engineer came out and changed the master socket, installed an openreach modem and connected a talktalk hub.  It is a Sagecom 5364.  

My issue is that the Netgear EX7000 has worked perfectly well with the previous router for about 5 years, it just does not seem to be compatible with the hub.  The wifi in the house is fine, and the extender used to mean that we could work in the home office in the garden no problem before we upgraded.  Yes, it is connected to the hub via wifi, but why would it deteriorate with supposedly a superior product compared to the previous 5 year old Huawei router?

It is not possible for a powerline to be used as the office is not on the same circuit as the house. 

I really am at a loss as to why it has stopped working.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

This is a very complex issue that is impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy currently. Please can I have a few more details so as I can try to help you?

You say that you have a hub, are you sure that you do not mean a dedicated modem, as I doubt that any hub is compatible with Fibre 150 without a separate modem. However, if you do have a hub as well, what make/model is it.

I have had a quick look on the Netgear site & from what I can see, the ex700 connects back to the hub, via the hub's WiFi, is that correct? because if it does then this could be the problem. The product description says that it is a range extender, which is not really the same as a WiFi extender and yet it also calls itself a mesh network, which I would have thought that it would connect back the hub, or directly to the fibre modem via an Ethernet connection?

Talking generically & if my assumptions above are correct, this ex7000 will broadcast the regenerated WiFi signal out in all directions, including back towards the hub. If the hub & Netgear use the same WiFi channels, then the Netgear could cancel out the signal from the router, thus disconnecting the Netgear completely from the router & the internet. A true WiFi Extender does not have this problem, as it connects back to the hub, via powerline technology over your mains wiring.

Do you have a big property, i.e. will a Wi-Fi extender suffice or mesh be more suited to your requirements?

Keith