Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

FAST5364 connected clients

ANSWERED
27 REPLIES 27
alexandian2007
Team Player

Browsed and searched, but I'm assuming my question was too daft to have been asked before...

I'm trying to see a list of clients that are connected to my router but can't seem to find the page.

I'd expect to see this on the DHCP page, but that's weirdly blank.

Any advice? 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

Is this for a residential service or are you with Talktalk Business,  @alexandian2007 ?

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
alexandian2007
Team Player

Residential.

I used to be on TTB for BB, well, F2S before they were bought half a dozen times, but then got suckered in to Vodafone for Fibre (shockingly bad) until I escaped and came back to TT...

alexandian2007
Team Player

One thing I just noticed is that on "My Devices", it shows "There are no devices connected", which would be a trick given I am responding to this post on one...

alexandian2007_0-1595661962535.png

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

It's just odd using a residential service for clients. 

It really is meant for domestic use, which can include WFH, but that's not the same as expecting the service to be used by clients.

alexandian2007
Team Player

Hi Gliwmaeden2. 

When I say  "Clients" I mean "DHCP Clients", and specifically those connected to the Router via hardline rather than WiFi as I have this disabled.

Birchcroft
Philosopher

@Gliwmaeden2  by Clients I think @alexandian2007 means client-devices, (e.g. TVs, Mobile Phones, IoT devices, computers etc) attached to his router, rather than business-clients or their devices.  This being the case it is odd that it says there are no wired devices connect and he cannot find a list wireless devices.

Assuming this is not a known problem with the FAST5364 then one possible solution might be to do a factory reset and re-do any previous configuration changes that were made.

alexandian2007
Team Player
Thanks @Birchcroft, nail on the head.

I'm praying for something other than a hard reset; I have 10 rules that would need recreating and various other bits and bobs of remote access to reset so this would be the most ball-achy answer, especially as fiddling with IT wasn't on the list of stuff the missus gave me to do today - that would be regarded as "fun" and therefore disallowed before chores are completed...
Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

Ah, @alexandian2007  and @Birchcroft!

Sorry, the penny has dropped. Very much a lay user here, so in my world a client would always be a human being. 

We've had one or two customers on here recently  expecting to see the residential service stretch to all sorts of non-residential situations, so I was rather on that track. 

Mental note taken to add "clients" to my list of jargon for computers, along with "menus": no food there, and all the rest!

😄

alexandian2007
Team Player

@Gliwmaeden2, Good luck with that list, I've been collecting tech jargon since 1986 as a "professional" (I use that term in its loosest sense), and I add to it every day, especially now I am involved in big Cloud implementations where they seem to make up words as they go along and don't feel the need to have the word relate to anything.

The phrase "it's all greek to me" has never been more apt as a good few bits now seem to actually be taken from Greek, like Kubernetes.

IT bods like me want you not to know what it all means, otherwise you'd never pay through the nose for our "special expertise"...

You can't buy enthusiasm, and I just appreciate that you answered my post within two minutes!

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Food menus are generally much better and more reliable than computer menus:-)
Birchcroft
Philosopher

@alexandian2007having been in the business, one way or another, from very early days the one thing I can say we do to retain our mystique and high salaries is to keep changing the jargon every few years and pretending we have invented radical new ways of doing things rather than admitting we are evolving things, all be it, maybe, at high rate.  On the bright side I'm now out of the game professionaly so I can just sit back an enjoy the antics.

alexandian2007
Team Player
When training for my City and Guilds 224 (electronic servicing) back in the day I was told that Kilohertz was just a rebranding of Cycles per Second, and done solely to keep engineers in beer money, proving your point that nothing has changed in the game in 34 years!
alexandian2007
Team Player
It's why I'm so fat @Birchcroft
alexandian2007
Team Player

Now, whilst having a top notch bit of techno-banter, I still can't see my bloody DHCP client table.

Is there a better forum for this or do I just need some of this mysterious substance called "patience" that the Missus keeps telling me I have none of?

ferguson
Community Star

Dashboard > Manage my devices > Manage advanced  settings

Birchcroft
Philosopher

@alexandian2007  You need patience and a bit of help from someone like @OCE_Karl or maybe @KeithFrench both of whom have some familiarity with the FAST5364 and may be able to explain why you can't see the DHCP table and how to make it magically appear.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @alexandian2007 

In response to @Birchcroft, the post from @ferguson is correct:-

Dashboard > Manage my devices > Manage advanced  settings

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

alexandian2007
Team Player
And where from there?

Ethernet just takes me to stats for the four on board ports, Talk Talk WiFi Hub takes me on to more promising screens, but the logical one, DHCP, is blank.

There should be somewhere in here that I can control things such as starting IP, IP Range, allow IPv4, allow IPv6, etc, but nothing...
KeithFrench
Community Star

You go to the exact page I said:-

Dashboard > Manage My Devices > Manage Advanced Settings

or

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings

They are listed there, here is an example:-

Device Listing 5364.png

The connected devices above can be individually clicked on displaying information about that device:-

• Editable friendly device name & selectable icon

• Descriptive location field

• Signal strength (Wi-Fi devices only)

• Link speed (Wi-Fi devices only)

• IP address

• MAC address

• Manufacturer

For each device there are green links for Device Info, Port Forwarding & DMZ.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?