FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Speed restriction in Local Cabinet ?

Elgin19
Team Player
Message 28 of 28

I am on Faster Fibre, and have a fault logged from last year that my speed dropped to around 17 Mb. The QubeGB engineer checked in house and done the several line checks to confirm no line noise or faults on the line, reported back to TT to pass to BT.
Since then I have been checking my speed both via TT and 3rd party speed tests, and no matter at what day or time of day there is no fluctuation up or down from the results - it is constantly between 16.6 and 17 Mb. Talk Talk Service Centre always states 18Mb when I should be 40 - 71 Mb

Speed to your router
17Mb
download
(As measured yesterday

So, I have three questions.....
1. As someone who was employed by BT for over 3 years, I tracked down a colleague who looked at faults, and he suggests that based on the constant results BT OR should check the speed restriction set for my line in the local cabinet.
2. Now that both BT Openreach and TalkTalk have updated their Coronavirus guidelines, is it now possible to request BT to check the Adderbury Cabinet 8 for the correct setting of my line speed.
3. In the next few days my contract ends, so what will happen if I sign up for Fibre 65, will it get rejected on the basis of the current line speed?

From BT : Address 19, ADDERBURY on Exchange ADDERBURY is served by Cabinet 8

Can OCE please advise.

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

Hi Elgin19,

The predicted range for your line is 14.9Mbps - 16.6Mbps, with a guaranteed minimum of 13.4Mbps

Regarding the speeds, I answered this in post 18 and 20, your sync speed is above 40.0Mbps so it can't be the same as it was on faster fibre (Fibre 35), the sync speed can't be any higher than 40.0Mbps on faster fibre.

If you feel that the additional speed of Fibre 65 isn't worth the additional cost then our Loyalty Team can put you back on the Fibre 35 package if you prefer.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 28

Hi,

In response to post 22 with Chis asking about the email on 10th February, I posted under Point 2 what the email contained.

What the email did not contain is any mention of the speed information, i.e. the guaranteed speed, the typical speed and the maximum speed.

( I accept that due to the fault on the line at the time of contract renewal the guaranteed speed is listed as 13 Mbps )

My understanding is that I should receive some form of confirmation of the speeds as shown in Bold print in Post 21 of what I had for Faster Fibre.

After all this time I still wonder why having changed to Fibre 65 my download is still the same as Faster Fibre was, especially as being only 545 metres from the local cabinet as I detailed in post 14.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

Morning,

Apologies for the delay, I've just re-read your second point but I'm unsure what your question is? 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

..... and any progress on Point 2 ?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

Hi Elgin19,

The minimum guaranteed speed is the speed given at point of sale by the Loyalty agent, I'm sorry but I can't change this, your speed is well above this anyway

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Chris

Point 1). - Minimum Guaranteed Speed.

The reason it shows a minimum guaranteed speed of 13.4 Mbps is because I still had the existing original fault of being back down to ADSL speed ongoing at the time my contract expired, so had to renew while this fault was still waiting to be rectified.

I did remonstrate with the Loyalty agent and told him I did not think it was fair to be quoting that, but he said he could only put what they could see at the time.

Point 2). - Order Confirmation Email.

( I've have only removed my name and Account number, and the HTML content - this is the complete email. )

Your new and improved package

You've now got
(including your discount)

Fibre 65 - £22.00 a month.
A new 18 month contract applies.

Your discounts applied
Fibre 65 £7.95 Discount for 18 Months

You've removed
SuperSafe
Fibre Speed Boost - Free for 24 Months
TalkTalk TV

Thanks for getting in touch. Great news. We've made all the changes you asked for. Everything's in the table above, to keep things clear and simple for you.
If you have an engineer booked, we'll confirm when they're coming within 24 hours. Don't worry if the time doesn't suit you. We can always re-arrange.
You are now on a new 18-month contract. Have a look at your full terms and conditions here.
Enjoy your updated package

We remain committed to serving our customers and keeping you all connected throughout the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
If you need help you can also visit talktalk.help/update for support and to manage your account.

As you can see there is no mention of the speeds as required by Ofcom.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 28

Hi Elgin19,

The minimum guaranteed speed showing on our systems is 13.4Mbps. Did you receive the order Order Confirmation Email - it should have been sent on the 10th Feb?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

Chris,

No problem on the telephone line, no noise, and all tested OK when TT engineer came.

I am not currently on the test socket as that is in the hall and inconvenient to used wired connection from there, but I have tried with that twice last week and the readings are exactly the same. The socket I use is just next door to the test socket.

I repeat what I have asked before - I have never received any documentation either by post or email to confirm my speeds, and on the TT My Account My Package there is no mention either. I would expect to have something like what I had for Faster Fibre - as below in Italics. My guaranteed speed is irrelevant on the service page as this was what it was when I had to renew the contract as it was about to expire, and the original fault was still outstanding to be resolved, so is not a true figure.

I understand you do not have full access to some parts of TT, but if you cannot supply these details can you escalate it to someone who can.

According to OFCOM I should be supplied with this information

This was the info I had for Faster Fibre

Your estimated broadband speeds
Download Speeds
Maximum speed
72.5 Mb

Typical speed range
47.0 Mb to 70.7 Mb

Minimum guaranteed speed
40.5 Mb

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

Hi Elgin19,

You are on Fibre 65 because your sync speed is 48.9Mbps. If you were on Fibre 35 (faster fibre) then your sync speed would be no higher than 40.0Mbps

I'm sorry but we can't arrange an engineer visit to check your line as the line test is passing and your sync and throughput speeds are well above the guaranteed minimum 

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, is there any noise on the line?

Is your router currently connected to your Test Socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Chris,

I have been checking the speed at least 3 or 4 times each day. It is always a constant 45 or 46 Mbps with 6.0 Mbps upload.

My suspicion is that when - without any notification that my fault was being passed to BT - my speed reverted from the logged fault of ADSL speed capped at 18 Mbps to the current speed is that BT have reverted me to Faster Fibre to clear the fault.

Since I am very close to the local cabinet I should be expecting to have speeds with Fibre 65 in excess of those I am still on, which match what I had with Faster Fibre

Are you able to check that BT have switched me to Fibre 65.

Well, no welcome pack - so be it.

However I have never received any notification of the speeds for my Fibre 65 contract, or any "Go Live" date, only what I have posted above and on my other topic.

I am very concerned and not happy that this is still going on - all we seem to do is keep posting information rather than any positive action being taken to resolve the issue or answer all the questions.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 28

Hi Elgin19,

I'm sorry but we can't send a welcome pack, we have no way to do this. The welcome pack just contains package information which we can give you if required

Regarding the speed, your currently sync speed is 48.9Mbps, the maximum sync speed on Fibre 35 is 40.0Mbps. Could you run some speed tests on the My Account speed checker at different times of day and let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

The story so far.....

18 Dec 20 & 19 Dec 20 Reported fault via 4 chat sessions that my Faster Fibre speed had dropped to 18Mb - ie ADSL speed

This was my Faster Fibre details:-
Your estimated broadband speeds
Download Speeds
Maximum speed
72.5 Mb

Typical speed range
47.0 Mb to 70.7 Mb

Minimum guaranteed speed
40.5 Mb

After the 4 chat sessions TT engineer sent to house in January - full check - all passed OK - fault to go to BT.
Ongoing - awaiting TT to pass to BT - hoping to get resolved before contact expired in February.

10th February - contact Loyalty to renew contract - upgrade from Faster Fibre to Fibre 65. Loyalty agent said estimated speed 13-17Mb.
I said that there was still a fault awaiting BT to rectify speed. Loyalty said could only put what the current speed was.
Promised to send Welcome Pack in due course.

24th February: My speed has reverted to Faster Fibre, but have had no advice that fault was being passed to BT.

2nd March:    Still waiting for Welcome Pack.
                        Still waiting for Fibre 65 - still on same speed as Faster Fibre.
                        Estimated Speed still wrong on the Service Status page - estimated is for

when the original fault existed.
                        Still not received any documentation to state my speeds for Fibre 65

- ie as in bold italics above for Faster Fibre.
                        No information on the My Account page to show any speed information.

This is what BT say I should be getting

You are connected to cabinet 8. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 545 meters.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 54-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 12.8-20Mb/s.

If I have upgraded to Fibre 65 I should be getting speeds faster than I had on Faster Fibre.

05/03/21 : Still on same speed or less that when I was on Faster Fibre

Come on TT it's now been over 2 months to sort this out.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 28

Hi Elgin19

Your current sync speed of 48.9mb is within the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 28

Errrrr No

""You can see below that I very close to the local cabinet, so should be getting something better that 42Mb

You are connected to cabinet 8. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 545 meters.""

YES you should be on 54 Mbps or better.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

Forgot to add to previous post.........

Why am still on the old Faster Fibre speed now that I have upgraded to Fibre 65.

I should be getting something extra for upgrading otherwise like a broken pencil - pointless. 

You can see below that I very close to the local cabinet, so should be getting something better that 42Mb

You are connected to cabinet 8. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 545 meters.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 54-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 12.8-20Mb/s.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

Chris,

When updated contract on 10 Feb, got email with:-

Your new and improved package
You've now got
(including your discount)

· Fibre 65 - £22.00 a month.
· A new 18 month contract applies.

Your discounts applied
· Fibre 65 £7.95 Discount for 18 Months

You've removed
· SuperSafe
· Fibre Speed Boost - Free for 24 Months
· TalkTalk TV

... then some general blurb non-specific to me.

A few days later via the post....

a letter with the same information.

At no point do either state my guaranteed speed, expected speed etc, only what the agent said over the telephone that he had to put expected speed of 13 - 17 Mb as that was what he could see for my line as I still had the fault of being at 18Mb as it had been since the Autumn, despite my protestations.

So, I would like to know my actual expected speed and guaranteed speed.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 28

Hi Elgin19,

Sorry, we can't change the guaranteed minimum speed. Did you not receive an order confirmation email with full change package details?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Tried to reply via PM but advised I had reached my limit.

Hi Chris,

Yes, yesterday my speed went from the capped at 18Mb since last Autumn by BT OR to around 42Mb.

I have done speed tests several times since yesterday, and they are all 42 - 44 Mb.

My Service Status needs to be updated so that the estimated speed of what I should be getting on Fibre 65, not what the Loyalty Agent insisted on putting it as due to the fault on the line at the time he did the contract. He said he could only put on the contract what the line speed was at the time I renewed from Faster Fibre to Fibre 65. That is why from originally logging the fault on the 19th December I had hoped the fault to be rectified before I had to renew my contact in February as it was about to expire. So, can you answer the questions below...…………..

1. Can you arrange to get the Service Status page updated with the correct figures, since if I have a problem in the future I don't want TT arguing that I am have an "estimated" speed of 13 - 17 Mb so won't do anything.

2. Based on the fact that I am so close (545 Mtrs ) from the local cabinet should I be getting something faster than 42Mb - which is what I had when on Faster Fibre - now that I have upgraded to Fibre 65.

3. What is my minimum guaranteed speed now.

Still not received "Welcome Pack with Go Live" by email or post as promised by Loyalty agent.

Looking forward to your reply.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

Hi Elgin19,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 28

From my Router stats you can see that my current link is fixed at 18Mb, giving me a typical speed test of 16.5 - 16.8.

You can also see that when I upgraded to Faster Fibre 18 months ago I was at a much higher speed.

Upstream    Downstream

Current Rate(kbps)        9183         18000
Max Rate(kbps)              9176         56019
SNR Margin(dB)                 5.8           24.8
Line Attenuation(dB)      24.6           13.9
Errors(pkts)                           2                 2

As I have now renewed to Fibre 65 I need BT to resolve the issue of the speed restriction as I am paying, and was before, for a service I am not getting.

Having renewed on 10/2, my account shows the new contract, but when will I receive the Welcome Pack to advise the 'Go Live' of Fibre 65. Will this also trigger BT to make a change at the local cabinet?

Can OCE's please advise.

0 Likes