FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Speed restriction in Local Cabinet ?

Elgin19
Team Player
Message 28 of 28

I am on Faster Fibre, and have a fault logged from last year that my speed dropped to around 17 Mb. The QubeGB engineer checked in house and done the several line checks to confirm no line noise or faults on the line, reported back to TT to pass to BT.
Since then I have been checking my speed both via TT and 3rd party speed tests, and no matter at what day or time of day there is no fluctuation up or down from the results - it is constantly between 16.6 and 17 Mb. Talk Talk Service Centre always states 18Mb when I should be 40 - 71 Mb

Speed to your router
17Mb
download
(As measured yesterday

So, I have three questions.....
1. As someone who was employed by BT for over 3 years, I tracked down a colleague who looked at faults, and he suggests that based on the constant results BT OR should check the speed restriction set for my line in the local cabinet.
2. Now that both BT Openreach and TalkTalk have updated their Coronavirus guidelines, is it now possible to request BT to check the Adderbury Cabinet 8 for the correct setting of my line speed.
3. In the next few days my contract ends, so what will happen if I sign up for Fibre 65, will it get rejected on the basis of the current line speed?

From BT : Address 19, ADDERBURY on Exchange ADDERBURY is served by Cabinet 8

Can OCE please advise.

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 21 of 28

Have now had to renew contract from Faster Fibre to Fibre 65 as contract expiring. However, still on ADSL speed of 16 - 18Mb constantly since autumn last year. Following engineer home visit in December all checked out OK and said to get TT to pass to BT OR.

Still waiting for TT to pass to Openreach to sort the problem out. Very annoying as am paying for faster speeds last few months and from now until it gets sorted. Why the further delay?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 28

Still waiting since December _ I would like to get sorted before I have to renew contract in the next week.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 28

Checked speed again today - still constant at 16.8Mb.

Still awaiting update...........

0 Likes

Message 24 of 28

Thanks Ann_Droid

Re Coronavirus update - yes that's why is raised point 2, as my understanding is that BT OR can respond to issues, especially those that do not need a home visit. Now of course it may just be that there is fault between the local cabinet and my house, but surely the first thing to check would be the speed restriction at the cabinet.

2. Now that both BT Openreach and TalkTalk have updated their Coronavirus guidelines, is it now possible to request BT to check the Adderbury Cabinet 8 for the correct setting of my line speed.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 25 of 28

Hi

I read your potential as 54/12, so shop around and see what deals you can get before contacting TT retentions.

Some, hopefully relevant, contact details....
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

If you’re an existing TalkTalk customer, and you’d like to speak to someone about your account and billing, moving house, to get some technical support, or make a complaint,
call TalkTalk on 0345 172 0088 – it’s free if you call from a TalkTalk landline,
or alternatively 0345 172 0046 – it’s free if you call from a TalkTalk landline.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 28

Thanks for link - here's what it gives me....

That is what makes me think that I've reverted to ADSL speed at the local cabinet

You are connected to cabinet 8. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 545 meters.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 54-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 12.8-20Mb/s.

ADSL broadband up to 20Mb/s

ADSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem at the telephone exchange. For your location the forecast download sync speed is 16.2-20Mb/s.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 27 of 28

Hi

CabTest.png

The above shows the available speed from Openreach, and if it is low, any and all ISP's will give the same speed rating.

I like this.......

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/home1/

as it gives stuff like this.....

You are connected to cabinet XX. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 3454 meters.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 74-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 19-20Mb/s.

I know they can't spell metres correctly, but the rest seems satisfactory.

0 Likes