FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Is there a VOIP option with a cordless-type phone that can use our current number ?

Buzby
Whizz Kid
Message 19 of 19

Hello,

I've not been here for a while, I jumped ship and went with another ISP !

However, I might be coming back. Our village is getting FTTP via FreedomFibre, and TalkTalk is the only ISP on the FreedomFibre network.

TT are offering a very attractive deal to get customers onboard quickly, but I'm still unclear if a VOIP option is available. I could keep the landline, for £7pm, but it would still be copper.

What I want is something like a cordless phone that connects to the router, but still responds to our existing landline number.

Is there such a device, and will the TT router support it ?

Cheers,

Buzby

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Buzby
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 19

Well, I just clicked the 'help' link in my 'Welcome to Future Fibre' email, and it brought me here !

But I've just noticed there is a section of this community called 'UFO'.  ( Who thought that name up ? )

This looks like it might be the place, as there are people talking about CityFibre, which is similar to what I've got.

I am also emailing the installation team. They must know how to configure what they've installed.

I will get this VOIP working !.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 19

The only difficulty I can see is that it may be locked down to proprietary settings with TalkTalk. As mentioned earlier support for full fibre is limited on the community at the moment, so you will need to contact the team directly. 

0 Likes

Buzby
Whizz Kid
Message 3 of 19

I've not contacted Zhone yet.

Seeing as my contract is with TT, I came here first !

I'm not even sure the ONT is configured properly as it is. The LEDs are saying the ONT is in the 'factory reset / not configured' mode, but it is linking to somewhere, 'cos I've got internet !.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 19

@Buzby I can see instructions in the manual for setting up a SIP configuration, which looks like where you need to be, but without being able to get into the modem interface that will be tricky! Have you tried reaching out to the device manufacturer for advice? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 19

From what I can see the ONT is purely a modem, any form of VoIP requires a router. So these POTS ports may not really be active as far as TalkTalk is concerned. To get this working with a SIP provider you are going to need a separate SIP handset connected to the router's LAN.

As to why the ONT has POTS ports on it you would need to ask the Future Fibre team, not this forum. All support is done via:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/FutureFibre/bd-p/FutureFibre

The normal TalkTalk support for the Community (old OCEs) have no access to Future Fibre. However, they are getting trained up on this, so it looks like they will have access soon.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Buzby
Whizz Kid
Message 6 of 19

Hi Karl,

The ONT is 'zNID-2424A1-EU', manufactured by DASAN Zhone, supplied by Freedom Fibre, as part of the deal with TT and the 'rural broadband' scheme for my village.

The engineer fitted it, showed me the download speed, then left !.

There was a single-page leaflet with the ONT, which gives very brief mechanical install instructions, and a link to the config guide attached here.

I need to get VOIP so that I can give up the landline ( not a TT service ). TT don't seem to offer VOIP,  ( which is a bit odd, seeing as copper is being phased out,)  so I signed up with Sipgate. 

The zNID manual shows how to configure the VOIP setting in the ONT, but I can't get it to work. I can't find a response from the ONT on 192.168.1.1 ( This is with direct connection to ONT, no router connected. )

EDIT: Corrected model number zNID-2424A1-EU

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

@KeithFrench wrote:

POTS after all is "Plain Old Telephone Service".

Indeed. Hence the confusion. Why label it something which it is not? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 19

I think first off we need to know the make/model of the router involved. I agree with the ATA, but if the port is marked POTS, phone or Tel is purely a terminology issue down to the router manufacturer. POTS after all is "Plain Old Telephone Service".

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 9 of 19

I think the confusion here may arise from labelling something POTS which clearly isn't. If the modem does indeed have a built in ATA then those ports would more sensibly be named simply TEL, or with a phone graphic. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 19

Hi @Buzby 

Whilst not strictly your case, but I think there could be some similarities here, as we move closer to the analogue phone switch off in 2025 . It might help to understand your POTS ports better if I relate what happened recently to someone I know. They have BT as their ISP & they have been moved over to BT's Digital Voice, being probably one of the earliest groups of lines to be moved over to the new service, prior to it all ending in 2025. On their router they have the standard telephone socket on the rear of the router, giving a POTS service & were told to connect any existing handset to this DV port.

Now to your exact problem, what make/model of router do you have? I am not aware of any TalkTalk router currently having this functionality. The POTS ports that you have will only work with ordinary phones not SIP/VoIP phones and only then if there is a SIP/VoIP conversion within the router itself, which sounds like what you have. Whether you set up one or two of them is down to you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Hi

This has confused me a little, can you post a pic of your ONT so we can see what type you have/

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 19

OK, I am confused then. I do not see how a fibre ONT can support a POTS line. 

0 Likes

Buzby
Whizz Kid
Message 13 of 19

POTS2.png

POTS.png

My POTS ports !

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 19

Apologies, I should have said and/or. Check with your handset provider, the fibre ONT does most certainly not  have any POTS ports.

0 Likes

Buzby
Whizz Kid
Message 15 of 19

The modem has two POTS ports, and settings to accept the VOIP user details. It can 'create' two standard telephones lines, but I only need one !

I should just be able to plug my house phone into a POTS port, set the VOIP details in the modem, and make calls just like on a landline.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 19

You need to get a VOIP compatible router and phone.

0 Likes

Buzby
Whizz Kid
Message 17 of 19

Update : We now have FTTP, and I've signed up with Sipgate for VOIP.

The problem now is I can't put the Sipgate user details into the modem. 

The DZS modem ( zNID-GPON-2424A1 ) I think should have a default IP of 192.168.1.1, which is same as the ttrouter. So I disconnected the router and connected direct to the modem, but I don't get any response.

Has anybody got an idea as to how I get my VOIP details into the modem ?

Cheers,

Buzby

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 19

Hi

I'm not aware of any Voip solutions that TalkTalk provide to residential services with FTTP as yet, but maybe some of our members have used Voip over our network and may have some advice.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes