FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP router and existing Mesh network

cjt0027
Chatterbox
Message 19 of 19

We have an installation booked in for next month to install Fibre 150. We currently use our own Mesh network (Tplink Deco) with our current TT router. We are looking to continue using the Tplink mesh network and just replace the current TT router with the new FTTP router. Do you know if there are likely to be any conflicts with existing Mesh networks and/or can you disable the Mesh features in the new FTTP router?

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 19

All you would have to do is site one of the Deco nodes within Ethernet cable reach of the Sky Q box. You could use a longer Cat 6 Ethernet cable or Ethernet power line adapters if both ends use the same electrical ring circuit, to have them further apart.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

cjt0027
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 19

It's been a while since the Sky boxes were connected to Deco, there have been some firmware updates since, so maybe the severe connection dropouts have improved. Worth a try. Ethernet would be much simpler of course but not practical in our case. Sure, the Sky boxes are bypassing Deco at the moment but it's stable. At the end of the day, I just wanted to upgrade my internet connection without introducing another mesh network.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 19

"Not play nice" was a phrase used earlier in the thread and again was merely a simple way of saying that different mesh systems are not interoperable. 

The reason you have to use the HG633 router at all is because it is also your gateway to the internet via its modem. When the Fibre ONT is installed that will replace it. So connect your mesh directly to that and take it from there. Sky Q is another issue and really doesn't play nice with anything other than their own setups, but that shoud be surmountable. If all else fails you can connect to it via Ethernet. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 19

I have just done a quick Google search on this and if you are seeing the SKY Q crashing, this is a known problem between it & the Deco. Are they both running the most up to date firmware, as the issue might have already been fixed.

The recommendations seem to be:-

• To switch the Deco WiFi to 'Access Point' mode. This stops the catastrophic crashes, at the cost of losing many of the value-add features of the Deco. However, the Sky Q loses its connection to the WiFi periodically.
  • The alternative workaround is to connect Sky Q to the Deco via Ethernet. This seems the best solution, but obviously, one Deco node must be close enough to the Sky Q for the length of Ethernet cable you are using.

To connect them as you have to the HG633's WiFi is really quite pointless as the Deco, like most Mesh systems offers much newer WiFi technology than available on the HG633.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 19

You are introducing duplicate equipment with two Mesh systems, you need to use one or the other, not both. As the Eero will require you to buy extra nodes, as only the initial node is supplied by TalkTalk, I'd suggest you stick with the TP-Link Deco.

I'm sorry but "Doesn't play nice" is not an error message I can work with, nor is it defined in any 802.11 specifications that I am aware of. What error messages did you get when you previously tried to connect the Sky Q to the Deco? There must be something wrong in either the configuration of your Deco or the Sky Q. Did you ever raise this issue with TP-Link's support & if so what did they say?

Keith

0 Likes

cjt0027
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 19

The Deco is set to router mode and connected to the HG633 via ethernet. Works fine with all wi-fi devices connected to Deco apart from Sky Q boxes. When we switch the Sky Q boxes directly to the wi-fi on the HG633, they work just fine. Believe this was related to Sky Q using a mesh network and not playing nice with the Deco system. We don't have the Eero router yet but it sounds like it will also not play nice with the Deco system. We can connect Deco directly to the ONT, but what about the Sky Q boxes connecting via wi-fi? Will it be possible to connect Sky Q to the Eero wi-fi without using mesh?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 7 of 19

I thought as much @KeithFrench I was just trying to simplify the matter.  🙂

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 19

That is exactly what I am trying to get the OP to do.

Keith

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 9 of 19

Can you not set the first Deco in the chain to router mode and connect it directly to the ONT via Ethernet?

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 19

The problem is that the HG633 does not have an EWAN socket to connect to the ONT/Modem via an Ethernet cable, so you can't use that. If you were using one of the current TalkTalk WiFi hubs it would be simple as they both have EWAN sockets on them.

Normally the ideal way to connect a MESH up is direct to a modem, not a router. Does your MESH support a WAN connection via Ethernet in this manner? 

What is the problem with the devices that you have currently connected to the HG633's WiFi, why can't they connect to the MESH, there should be no reason why they can't.

Keith

0 Likes

cjt0027
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 19

I was hoping we could just swap out the existing TT HG633 router with the new Eero router. But it seems the Eero will not play nice with an existing mesh network. Most of my devices are connected to the mesh network. However, our Sky Q/mini boxes are connected to the HG633 via wi-fi as these did not play nice with our mesh network - I think this is because Sky Q also uses a mesh system. I don't want to disable wi-fi on the Eero, just wondering if the mesh system can be disabled. Will it be possible to use a third-party modem/router that could connect to Fibre 150? If so, what kind of tech specs does it need to support?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 19

I can't comment about the Eero as I do not have one, but I would have thought that you can disable its WiFi & hence Mesh.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Thanks Keith, that's how we have it setup at the moment, i.e. Huawei HG633 connected to the Deco via ethernet. Do you know if the Mesh features can be disabled on the eeros router?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Hi Chris, it's the Huawei HG633 and this is currently connected to the Deco Mesh via ethernet.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 15 of 19

Yes, it would. Just connect an Ethernet cable from the ONT/modem to the WAN port on your existing Mesh.

If the Deco doesn't have a WAN port then use your current TalkTalk router as you are now, but run the Ethernet cable from the modem to the router's WAN port (assuming it has one, most modern TalkTalk routers do).

Keith

Message 16 of 19

Hi cjt0027,

Which TalkTalk router do you currently have?

Chris

0 Likes

cjt0027
Chatterbox
Message 17 of 19

Hi Michelle, thanks for the reply. When you say 'connect our existing mesh to the modem', would this just be an ethernet connection? Can you also confirm if the mesh features can be disabled in the eeros router, i.e. can the router be used as a non-mesh router to avoid conflicts with our current system? 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 19

Morning,

The eeros provided will not play nicely with your current mesh system. So you could use the eero system to replace the current system or when your FTTP is installed, connect your existing mesh solution to the ONT/modem.

Thanks