FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Fibre Broadband

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 52 of 52

Hi,

I'm paying for faster fibre broadband. which states up to 38 Mbps. I'm getting no where near  this.

WiFi test    shows    (25 ms) Download 1.3 Mbps.    Upload 0.7 Mbps.

Hard wired shows    (24 ms) Download 1.2 Mbps.    Upload 0.7 Mbps.

I have switched off everything that connects to the internet except my laptop to carry out the tests.

I switch off the router every night when I go to bed and back on in the morning so it resets every day. ( it takes anywhere up to 1 hr sometimes longer to connect to the internet )

I don't expect to get the full 38 Mbps but the speed I am getting is disgraceful.

Is there an point in me paying for this service ? would I be better off changing to the cheaper broadband package that offers 11 Mbps ?

0 Likes
51 REPLIES 51

Message 1 of 52

Hi Bill

Glad to hear it's working.  If anything changes, please let us know.

Regards

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 52

Hi, got up Saturday morning and it was working fine with 36 mbps download. Don't know what has been done to fix it but as long as it works I'm happy. It's been fine since then . He's hoping it stays like that. Thanks for your help.

Regards BillC

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 52

Hi billc1,

Thanks for the information. I can see that there were a number of reconnections on Friday but since Friday night the connection appears to have been pretty stable, how has it been at your end?

Chris

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 52

Hi, further to the above. The router is connected to the master socket. I have tried a different lead from socket to router. I have tried a reset via button on rear of router. I have switched the router off for over 30 mins. The internet light remains red.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 52

Hi. Engineer came this morning. Said that the line was fine with 40 mbps going to it. Changed the master socket and I immediately got 36 mbps download. Fixed at last I thought. Went out for a few hours and when I returned. The internet light is showing red all the rest are green. No internet again.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 52

Hi billc1,

Thanks for confirming this. As the line test has detected a potential fault I've passed this over to Openreach for a line investigation to be completed and we should receive an update back in the next 48-72hrs. Please can you request an update here on Friday and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 52

I disconnected all other devices IE. Mobile phone. TV. And tablet. Carried out test with only laptop connected both hard wired and through WI FI. results were the same for both. 8.5 Mbps download. Router is connected to the master socket.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 52

Hi billc1,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. What were the results after the 30 minute router power down and was the speed test completed wired? As soon as we confirm this then we can pass this over for investigation.

Thanks

Message 9 of 52

Hi, This is a new router. I have switched it off for 30 mins and tried a reset via the button on the back. Makes no difference. There is a hissing sound on my landline , but there has always been one. I understand Talk Talk are supposed to give you a guaranteed minimum download speed when you first order faster fibre. I rang them yesterday and after some time on the phone they finally told me the guaranteed download speed for me is 35 Mbps. Can you confirm this ? Seems a bit high to me. As you know I'm getting no where near that.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 52

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test has detected a possible issue, however the sync speed looks ok. Is their any improvement in throughput speed if you switch the router off for a full 30 minutes and then test the speed again? Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 52

Hi,

It's been almost two weeks since the open reach engineer checked my line. 

He stated the master socket was receiving 40 Mbps download and the line was fine. I have had the new router sent to me connected to the master socket since then. It appears to have settled down. The speed is the same when hardwired of with wi fi and is as follows.

Ms 20.   -    Download  8.5 Mbps.    -  Upload   3.0 Mbps.

Whilst this is a huge improvement to speed I was getting when I first contacted you.

The fact is I am Paying £25.50p per month for faster fibre at 38 Mbps and I am still not happy with the speed being provided. 

If this is the best Talktalk can do. Then when my contract expires at the beginning of April I'm afraid I will be cancelling,  moving on to a provider that can supply better speeds. 

Best regards,

BillC

0 Likes

Message 12 of 52

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 52

The light is back on again. I am going to connect it into the extension socket and just leave it switched on to see of things just settled down. I'll get back to you in a couple of days.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 52

No. It has dropped out again. Light has just turned red in the last few minutes. So it only stayed on for about 20 mins. Nothing has been touched.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 52

Thanks for the update, glad to hear the router has now connected, I can't see any indication that anything has been done at our end. Does everything seem to be OK now?

Chris

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 16 of 52

Extension socket which is where I normally connect my router. As we speak the internet light has turned green at the master socket. Has taken 90 mins. To change from red to green . Has anything been done at your end ?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 52

Yes the phone is fine,it's connected to the master socket. I do just have 1 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 52

Just to confirm, the phone works fine in the extension socket? Do you just have the one extension socket?

Chris

Message 19 of 52

No but he did take the face plates off to carry out the tests. Could he have disconnected a wire ?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 52

Hi billc1,

Thanks for trying this. If the router connects ok at the test socket then this would indicate a potential issue with the faceplate or internal wiring. Did the engineer make any changes to the wiring during their investigation?

Thanks