FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Fibre Broadband

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 52 of 52

Hi,

I'm paying for faster fibre broadband. which states up to 38 Mbps. I'm getting no where near  this.

WiFi test    shows    (25 ms) Download 1.3 Mbps.    Upload 0.7 Mbps.

Hard wired shows    (24 ms) Download 1.2 Mbps.    Upload 0.7 Mbps.

I have switched off everything that connects to the internet except my laptop to carry out the tests.

I switch off the router every night when I go to bed and back on in the morning so it resets every day. ( it takes anywhere up to 1 hr sometimes longer to connect to the internet )

I don't expect to get the full 38 Mbps but the speed I am getting is disgraceful.

Is there an point in me paying for this service ? would I be better off changing to the cheaper broadband package that offers 11 Mbps ?

0 Likes
51 REPLIES 51

Message 21 of 52

Yes there is a dial tone and land-line phone working fine. Have removed cover and plugged into test socked and internet light eventually turned green. Left it for a while and remained steady. Have put cover back on and plugged into front of master socket . The internet light is red and had been for 30 mins now.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 52

Hi billc1,

Sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line tests which are not detecting any faults.

Do you have a dial tone? Is there any connection if you connect back at the test/master socket?

Thanks

Message 23 of 52

Hi, new router arrived. Connected to master socket. Power light green. Broadband light green. Internet light RED. Wi-Fi light green. No internet either over Wi-Fi or hard wired. 

0 Likes

Message 24 of 52

Hi billc1

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please let us know if you experience the same fault with the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 25 of 52

Will do. Just to throw a spanner in the works. Since the engineer left this morning the internet light on the router has been showing steady red. So I don't have any internet at all now. Hope the new router also solves this problem.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 52

Hi Bill,

Thanks for keeping us updated and please let us know how the stability and speed compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Message 27 of 52

Hi. Engineer has been out and checked the line. 40 mbps at master socket. 22 mbps at the extension socket. His conclusion the router has a fault. Customer services have text me and see sending me a replacement router. So see how it goes when I connect that.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 52

Hi Bill

No problem. If you post back on this thread on Wednesday then we can check for further updates from Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 29 of 52

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for that. 

Bill

Message 30 of 52

Hi billc1

Apologies for the delay.

I have escalated this fault over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer and we should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 31 of 52

Thanks for that.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 52

You are unlikely to get another response from the support team before Monday. So for the sake of your 6 year old and your own peace of mind feel free to restore the wiring as normal for now.

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 33 of 52

Sorry to hassle you but is anyone going to do anything today. I can't leave the router and the wires all over the hallway next to the master socket all day. I have a 6yr old running around who thinks they are to play with !!

0 Likes

billc1
Conversation Starter
Message 34 of 52

Hi. My thread seems to have gone quiet.

My router is connected to the master socket. My laptop is hard wired to the router. To the best of my knowledge this should give me the best broadband speed. I've done a speed check and still only 1.2 MVP's. 

0 Likes

Message 35 of 52

Hi,

Router now plugged into the master socket. I've run a test and no change.

No I do not have another router to try.

I can't answer about the speed, I've never taken that much notice before.

Just started checking when the router started taking so long ( 1 to 2 hrs )

to connect to the internet.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 52

Hi billc1,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line tests which are clear. Does the master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can see how the sync speed compares? Do you also have an alternative router that you can test with?

Where you previously receiving faster speeds or is this same speed you have always received?

Thanks

Message 37 of 52

Hi Debbie,

Left the router on for three days now. Done a test this morning and no change in the speed.

1.2 mbps download.  0.7 mbps upload.

To answer some other questions you might ask.

1. The Open Reach fibre street cabinet is at the end of my street about 100 mtrs away.

2. When I changed to the faster fibre package a few years ago. An open Reach engineer

came out and fitted a new connection box in my hallway, so I presume I have up to date

connections.

3.  The telephone and internet have separate connections from this box.

4.  He ran an extension from the main box in the hall into my sitting room where the router

is connected.

5.  There is a noticeable hiss on the land line when using the telephone. (that has always

been there ) .

0 Likes

Message 38 of 52

Hi billc1

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you post back on this thread on Thursday and we can check the connection stats again. If the router has been left on for at least 48hrs then hopefully DLM should have started to make changes to the line profile.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 39 of 52

That's already been suggested. I'll leave it on and see what happens. Can you suggest any time frame where I should be looking for improvement. 

Message 40 of 52

Hi billc1

Would it be ok to leave the router switched on without rebooting to see if DLM starts to increase the speed.

If the router is switched off too often then DLM can lower the speed to try and stabilise the connection.

Thanks

Debbie