FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Fibre: Close to Minimum Speed?

nbsimmons
Popular Poster
Message 21 of 21

So I joined TalkTalk not long ago and so far the experience has been pleasant. I've had no drop outs but somewhat disappointed with the speed I'm getting. I pay for your faster fibre and was told to expect speeds within the region of 60 - 70 but I'm not getting that - I'm getting closer to the minimum speed.

I'm connecting directly to the hub via an ethernet cable, a gigabit nic and the test socket directly (to eliminate any faceplate issues). When I first went live, the router said I was getting 61.8/20 but this has dropped to 60/20.

Now, when I do a speed test directly, I get bang on the minimum (give or take 1-2).

Nathan, Front-end Web Developer
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

OK thanks. Your throughput speeds are a little on the low side but they are above the guaranteed minimum so we can't really raise this as a fault to Openreach for investigation, but if the speeds do drop please let us know.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

I don't have a phone connected due to simply wanting broadband - I don't have one at hand either so I'm unable to test this sadly.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi nbsimmons,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

So bit of a shame.

Had my router connected to the test socket for more than 48hrs but it doesn't seem to have changed - infact, I lost 0.8 of my sync speed and now I'm at 61.0.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Thanks Michelle.

If it helps, the router was previously connected for around this period when I started the thread and it hadn't seemed to change.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi nbsimmons,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to keep the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM increases the sync speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

I believe I've now connected this to the test socket - the router reports 61.0.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi nbsimmons,

Sorry for the delay. Would it be possible to connect the router directly at the test socket so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Sorry for the delay.

The router is now connected to the built-in filter faceplate. I seem to be syncing at 61.8MB do up by .1 - is this really the max I can get? Considering I'm in a G.Fast area I would have thought VDSL would be able to reach the max.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 21

Hi nbsimmons,

Unfortunately we can't adjust/reset DLM and this will determine the best balance between stability and speed for the line. Is the router still at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi nbsimmons,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Hi nbsimmons

Your line is in sync at 61.7mb.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hi Chris,

I’ve ran the above and seem to get a result in the region of 54 - 57 down and 18 up. I’ve already done what you suggested due to finding other help threads. I only use a wired computer for main internet usage so Ethernet is my primary source.

Considering I’m in a G.Fast area, so I’m told, I’m sceptical that this is the max my line can handle. I understand they’re different and require different faceplates and they’re different technology (so to speak) but I would have thought even so my line would have been able to give me the max on VDSL.

I’ve spoke to other TT customers who joined around the same time as me but they’re syncing at 80/20. They found their speed slowly crept up during the monitoring period and then finally maxed out.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

OK thanks. 

Could you run 3 speed tests, morning afternoon and evening, on the My Account speed checker, on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable if possible. Could you please try to make sure that no other devices in your household are connected to the router at the time of the speed tests. 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hi there Chris,

My device is plugged directly into the wall. I've attempted to change the placement but it doesn't affect anything - it's also directly placed into the master socket.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi nbsimmons,

Apologies for the delay

Line test is passing and your sync speed is currently 61.7Mbps. is your router situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference? Is it connected to a multi socket electrical extension lead shared with other devices, or connected directly to a wall outlet?

Thanks 
Chris

0 Likes

nbsimmons
Popular Poster
Message 17 of 21

Is any OCE or similar picking this up?

0 Likes

nbsimmons
Popular Poster
Message 18 of 21

Bump.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I was given a minimum guaranteed speed of, I believe, 55. I've tried with and without the faceplate but this doesn't really make any difference to my connection or the speed reported within the router or my actual speed test.

I was cautious about doing several tests with and without the faceplate as I've read OpenReach's DLM kick's in.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

If that was the range you were quoted I imagine you were also given a minimum guaranteed speed which is somewhat lower than that. It does look on the face of it as if your line is operating within acceptable parameters. It may actually improve things if rather than using the test socket you utilise the pre-filtered faceplate, these can often outperform plugin microfilters. 

0 Likes