Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre is slow and I'm at my wits end trying to get technical help

38 REPLIES 38
seh75
Participant

Hi all.  I have run out of things I can think of to fix my slow broadband speeds.  Please help!!

I have been on faster broadband for quite a while now and, because I rarely download anything significant (just really use it for browsing), I've never really noticed how poor my speed is until the last 2-3 months.  My 'guaranteed minimum' download speed is over 24mbps but my router is only receiving speeds of 17-18mbps.  I started checking it after trying to download some stuff on Sky On Demand.  It took 90mins to download 40% of a 30 minute HD show before I gave up and cancelled the recording.

I've done countless speed checks on apps on my phone and also via wired and wifi on my laptop through the talktalk website.  Download speeds (wired and wifi) range 9-17mbps.  I've logged on to my router directly on a frequent basis and see this each time:

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
 It doesn't matter if I'm using my master socket (one of the newish openreach MK4 which is prefiltered) or the test socket with a filter.  The router speed is always 17999. It seems to me that this is a fixed rate as t never fluctuates.  The only time this changed was for about 48 hours last month when the technical support sent some sort of update to it (firmware??) but it was very shortlived.  

I have 4 other phone sockets in the house but they are all disconnected as I never used them and the openreach guy disconnected them when he replaced the master socket (+2 years ago). They are definitey dead but I have got microfilters in them all... just in case!!

I've tried rebooting the router, using the test socket, unplugging everything I can think of.  I can't really expect my devices to be performing any better than they are while ever the router is only receiving 18mbps.  It seems to me that the issue is with the line coming into the house or the speed is being limited, but am happy to try any other suggestions.  

The biggest issue I have is getting any help at all from the TT technical team.  I have tried calling and using live chat a number of times. Each time we go through the same thing.  Going off to test the line and coming back telling me there is no issue.  Give it time and test again over coming days.  Each time I call back I have to start over.... as though no notes have been put on my account to say what's already been discussed/tested already. Yesterday I explained, once again, with a guy on live chat what the issue was and about 5 minutes in he asked if I was reporting an issue with broadband. I could have screamed!!! They don't seem to pay any attention to what I am telling them. Head banging and brick walls come to mind. 
The only suggestion the guy made yesterday was that I could pay for an engineer to come out because (words to the effect of) 'you have to pay for engineer if you need new wifi'  - I have absolutey no idea what he meant by this.
In the end I have requested a manager call me back but I am not confident this will ever happen.
I'm pretty sick of paying for faster fibre that clearly I'm not getting, having to spend hours on live chat or the phone trying to get some help, and having to repeat myself continually because noone is keeing a record of the complaint.

Would appreciate any help you can offer. TIA

KeithFrench
Community Star

I will ask one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

seh75
Participant

Thanks - live chat and calling the contact centre isn't getting me anywhere. Been trying that for weeks!

Cheers, I'll await their response.

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi seh75,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault.

Just to confirm, is the voice service ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line? Have you also tested with a different router? Are you currently using the HG633 or the 3782?

Thanks

seh75
Participant

Hi

It's a HG633. The phone is fine and I can't remember ever hearing noise on the line. I don't have a spare router to try.  The only time that the router download speed has been any different to 17999kbps is when one of the tech team sent some sort of software/firmware update to it about a month ago. It jumped up to about 24000kbps for about 2 days and then reverted to 17999.

It's been in the test socket since I rebooted it again yesterday morning but still stuck on 17999.

Stats below have just been taken:

Internet Connection

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
WAN IP Address:
Primary DNS Server:
Secondary DNS Server:

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
1 day 0 hours 58 minutes 16 seconds
OCE_Michelle

Hi seh75,

Would you like us to send a 3782 router for testing purposes to see how the sync speed compares?

Thanks

seh75
Participant

Hiya

As there are no other suggestions I don't see how it can hurt. The router I have isn't that old though so I would have hoped it would still be performing well.

Thanks

OCE_Debbie

Hi seh75

The DSL3782 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares following this.

Thanks

Debbie

seh75
Participant

Hi

Initial indications not great

DSL Type:VDSLCable Status:ConnectedLink Rate:6664/17998 KbpsConnection Type:Dynamic IPNetwork Status:ConnectedConnection Uptime:0 Day 0 Hour 9 Min 27 Sec

So still only about 18mbps

Happy to leave it in for a couple of days to see if it gets better but tbh this whole 17999/17998 is so consistent it seems that it's purposely set at that rate.

OCE_Chris

Hi seh75,

Your speed is capped at 18Mbps by your line profile, if your connection stats improve over the next few days with the new router then the line management system (DLM) should move you to a faster profile

Chris

seh75
Participant

OK so why is my speed capped at 18mbps?  That implies that talktalk have capped it and therefore I have been paying for a guaranteed minimum speed that I have not been getting.... for months.

I have made multiple calls and initiated live chats and each time it's been investigated, noone has mentioned this physical cap on my speed.

Can you please expalin both why it was/is capped and why this has gone unnoticed despite me reporting the issue many times?

Thanks

OCE_Chris

"OK so why is my speed capped at 18mbps?  That implies that talktalk have capped it and therefore I have been paying for a guaranteed minimum speed that I have not been getting.... for months."

Your line is constantly monitored for errors and disconnections by an automated system called DLM (dynamic line management). DLM adjusts you line profile (speed) both up and down to give the fastest speed that also provides a stable connection with a low error count. If DLM didn't do this then you would potentially have a faster connection speed but an unstable connection and/or a high error count that would cause performance issues. So the purpose of DLM is to provide as fast a connection speed as possible while maintaining a stable connection with a low error count

Thanks

Chris

seh75
Participant

Thanks for explaining that. I wish someone had bothered checking/explaining this before.  It seems then that the 'guaranteed minimum' speed for faster fibre isn't guaranteed at all as I'm only hitting 75% of that.  Noone ever explained when I signed up for this that the guarantee isn't guaranteed and there is a speed v stability offset. 

I'll see what happens in the next 48 hours. Thanks. 

OCE_Chris

Well the guaranteed minimum still applies. If DLM moves you to a profile that gives you a sync speed that's below the guaranteed minimum then we are still able to get Openreach to investigate. We just first need to give DLM a couple of days  with the new router connected, to see if it notices an improvement and responds by moving you to a faster profile 🙂

Chris

seh75
Participant

Hi

Sadly no change after 3 days

DSL Type:VDSLCable Status:ConnectedLink Rate:6664/17998 KbpsConnection Type:Dynamic IPNetwork Status:ConnectedConnection Uptime:3 Day 1 Hour 48 Min 33 Sec

Is there anything else I can try?

OCE_Michelle

Hi seh75,

I'm sorry to hear this. When you connected the replacement router, did you also use the new cables and microfilter? Is the router still connected at the test socket? Once we've confirmed this then we'll pass this straight over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

seh75
Participant

Hi

I used new cables but it's not in the test socket at the moment.  I'll put  it back in the test socket tonight when I get home and reboot it again. Will keep you informed. Thanks.

OCE_Debbie

Hi seh75

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to keep the router connected at the test socket for at least 48hrs whilst DLM is monitoring the connection in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

seh75
Participant

Hi

Sure.  It's been connected to the test socket for 13 hours and is currently slower than usual.

DSL Type:VDSLCable Status:ConnectedLink Rate:6961/16495 KbpsConnection Type:Dynamic IPNetwork Status:ConnectedConnection Uptime:0 Day 13 Hour 41 Min 17 Sec

I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple of days

OCE_Debbie

Hi seh75

Thank you. Please can you post back on this thread on Thursday, we can then check the connection stats again.

Debbie