FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Fibre speed boost not worth it?

djcowlin
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 11

I've recently moved house and have carried over my Faster Fibre (with speed boost) and TalkTalk TV to the new address. Having (finally) achieved speeds of 80Mbps down and 19 up at the old house, I knew I would struggle to match that here, as the house is situated further from the cabinet.

After 10 days or so my connection seems to have stabilised at around 45Mbps down and 8 up, which seems a bit low for the speed boost fibre. The upload speed, in particular, looks like what I would be getting without paying for the speed boost.

To be fair to the call centre worker who dealt with the change of address process, she did offer to remove the speed boost if the speeds at the new house didn't justify the extra cost. My current download speed is barely more than 40, but it is the upload speed that is especially disappointing. I'd be grateful if an OCE could look into this for me.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi djcowlin,

I'm sorry to hear that there has been no improvement. If you contact our Customer Service Team via Live Chat then they will be able to look into this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi Michelle. I disconnected the router for 30 minutes yesterday evening and reconnected it to the test socket. It's connected at 45 down and 8.3 up, which look like the best speeds achievable.

How do I go about cancelling my fibre speed boost?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Thanks, Michelle. I was informed that the download speed would be in the 40s, so I am not unhappy about that. What does concern me is the upload speed, as noted above. 8.5Mbps seems low once the fibre speed boost has been applied.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi djcowlin,

Thanks for confirming this. I've re-checked the connection stats and I can't see any improvement as yet. If there is no increase over the weekend then it looks like you may be receiving the best speeds for the line. Just to confirm, what speeds were you advised that you would receive?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Thanks, Debbie. I can confirm that I plugged the router into the test socket yesterday (Wednesday) evening.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi djcowlin

Sometimes the face plate can become faulty. If you connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting then we can check the speed again on Friday.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Thanks, Michelle. I’ll try this next, but I’m not too hopeful, as the router is already plugged directly into the master socket via a filtered faceplate, and there is no internal extension wiring.

i can understand if my distance to the cabinet limits my download speed to 40-50Mbps, but I can’t understand the low upload speed, as I thought the speed boost would address this - the line can clearly support in excess of 20Mbps down, so why not also up?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 11

Hi djcowlin,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does have a test socket then it may be worth testing the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs to see if DLM increases the sync speed any further.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi Michelle, and thanks for the helpful prompt. I’ve updated my ‘phone number in my profile.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi djcowlin,

Could you confirm if the telephone number in your Community Profile is correct? Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

0 Likes