FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster fibre to Fibre 65 download speed not matching

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Message 19 of 19

speed.pngAs you can see it says here 50.8 Mbps down and 17.3 Mbps up.

Yet with my speed test I'm only seeing 37 Mbps down this is while the internet is not in use by any other devices and I know what I'm doing while checking the speeds.

Before renewing the contract the download was also about 37 Mbps too and the settings page would display 40 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up so why is it that the download speed I am getting is no where close to what the dashboard displays it as?

Wifi tested in the same room meters away so no distance no walls.

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

DownstreamUpstream
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Morning,

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

Hey really glad it's sorted. 

Would you mind telling me what Xaomi kit you have? Also, what's doing the DHCP?

As I said before it's curiosity and nothing to do with the issue you had.

Fritz

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

it's fixed it.

46.3 Mbits down and 16 Mbits This is greatly improved and I am getting 90% of the current speed of the modems displaying on the dashboard which is in line with what was expected.

Please consider this fixed now, thanks everyone for all the advice and information.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. The throughput speeds are usually around 80% of the sync speed. Would you mind running another wired speed test using the TalkTalk Speed Tester so we can see the results please? Just before you do this speed test can you try one more 30 minute power down please.

Thanks

Message 5 of 19

Before moving from faster fiber to fiber 65 I was getting 9 Mbits up and 37.6 Mbits down. After moving to Fibre 65 I was before powering down 16.3 Mbits up and 38.3 Mbits down and after powering off and before I did a soft reboot it was sub 30 Mbits down and 16 Mbits up. After the soft reboot I am now getting today 37.2 Mbits down and 16.6 Mbits up. Wireless speed while compared to wired is only 0.3 Mbits slower on both upload and download over multiple speed tests performed.

I am unsure why the download is still no where close to the dashboards displayed download speed of 50.8 Mbits down but I am very close to the upload speed it does display on the dashboard.

This refers to the powering off for about 40 minutes yesterday afternoon.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed has started to increase over the last 48hrs. Can I just confirm, what speeds were you seeing prior to the speed drop?

Thanks

Message 7 of 19

When I did it yesterday the download speed decreased by about 1 Mbps with no improvement overnight.

I have not done another power down since the one I performed yesterday afternoon.

It took a soft reboot after the power down because immediately after the power down the speed was sub 30 Mbits on both the dashboard and speed test. This was until I performed the soft reboot which increased the readout on the dashboard to over 50 Mbits and the speed experienced to just over 37 Mbits down from the 38 Mbits I had before yesterdays powering down.

No disconnects at all as the dashboard shows me over 18 hours connected. I would have thought a brief disconnect might have happened overnight for it to automatically adjust the line after yesterdays powering down and soft reset.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Morning,

How has the speed been since the 30 minute router power down? Has their been any improvement?

Thanks

Message 9 of 19

It is connected to the ethernet port of the TalkTalk modem. The TalkTalk modems WIFI is set to off to avoid any overlap and also over heating of the TalkTalk modem too. As a result the only WIFI operating is on the Xiaomi router instead. Most of the hardware in the house uses the older WIFI 5 however the devices I used to speed test are using the newer.

I will have to try the 30+ minutes off again tomorrow but a soft reboot was only implemented once today and that was after the 30+ minutes made speeds worse earlier today. Doing the soft reboot increased the dashboards reported modem speed to the now 50.8 Mbps. It is a shame that the speed experienced is not even close to that.

0 Likes

FritzCT
Wise Owl
Message 10 of 19

Then I think you need an OCE to have a closer look. The Fibre 35 cap has clearly been removed as you're syncing at >40. As @Skynet_TX posted you should be getting much closer to the sync speed when wired directly to the hub. 

The 30 minute shut down is the safest way to reboot as it resets the session (new IP etc. etc.) and reduces the chances of the OR DLM seeing restarts as a connection issue rather than an intentional reboot so it should be safe to do as long as the number of shut downs isn't excessive.

Just out of curiosity (nothing to do with the throughput speed issue) how have you connected the Xiaomi to the TT hub settings wise?

Fritz

EDIT: @G_R_UK_T4LK2M3 don't reply to my post, it will delay an OCE answer if you do. Still curious as to how you've set up the Xiaomi but that can wait until your issue is solved.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 11 of 19

If the router dashboard reported <30mbps sync speed after the restart earlier then this may indicate some different issue elsewhere. The router will negotiate with the equipment in the street cabinet when you switch it on to determine the best speed to sync at. So if it decided to sync at a much slower speed then that would be more of an indication of a router or line issue, however it can always be the case that on random occasions a router might sync at a lower speed, just due to some transient interference on the line or similar.

Probably best to let the staff here pick this up tomorrow, usually the +30 minute shutdown will resolve a 'sticky' session after an upgrade from Fibre 35 to 65, but if it is not fixing it in your case then they will be able to take a look for you.

Message 12 of 19

The wireless router I use is separate from the modem so the channel is not the issue here as I no longer use them integrated and opted to buy my own wireless router. My wireless speeds are not varying a lot.

My wired download speed was identical to the wireless and my upload speed was only 0.6 Mbps faster on wired when compared to wireless.

The wired test was done directly from the TalkTalks supplied modem. I have also done the same wireless test from TalkTalks modem too. I usually have TalkTalks wifi switched off as my Xiaomi wireless router is preferred. 

0 Likes

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Message 13 of 19

Just did a wired speed test only the upload was 0.6Mbps faster than the WIFI of the same test while download remained the same. I knew the outcome for these would be the same as the Xiaomi wireless I use auto changes channels often to avoid any interference unlike TalkTalks hardware which never found the best channels.

I am not a fan of the idea of switching off for another 30 minutes doing this only resulted in worse speeds when attempted earlier this afternoon it resulted in sub 30 Mbps being reported on the modems dashboard. Until I did a soft reboot which resulted in the dashboard reporting 50.8 Mbps all the while my down speed experienced remains sub 38 Mbps.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 14 of 19

If the sync speed reported by your router is remaining consistent, but your wireless speed test results are varying a lot, then that may well be an indication of Wi-Fi interference affecting your Wi-Fi signal. If you get a nice consistent 'wired' speed test result that is much closer to your sync speed then that would also point the finger more at Wi-Fi interference.

Rebooting your router could have caused it to pick a different Wi-Fi channel to broadcast on, that might have affected the speeds you were getting, in general you would hope the router would pick the best channel possible when it reboots, but that is not always the case !

G_R_UK_T4LK2M3
Whizz Kid
Message 15 of 19

I use a different wireless router that is running from the ethernet port at the back that uses WIFI 6 instead of the older WIFI 5 I had to upgrade as the signal upstairs was not keeping the speed. And without it  cloud gaming was never going to work on WIFI 5.

Uses a 3000Mbps 256MB Dual Band 5G 160MHz. 2x2 160MHz (supports up to IEEE 802.11x protocol, theoretical maximum rate can reach 2402Mbps). which uses ac and ax wireless protocols far exceeding the WIFI provided with the otherwise TalkTalk supplied hardware.

I will have to try the wired connection later today.

Just worried that if I do the 30 minute switch off again it will do the same as it did earlier resulting in a much lower output until I did a soft reset. Why would it be worse?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 16 of 19

If you recently upgraded from Faster Fibre (now called Fibre 35) to Fibre 65 then the +30 minute shutdown was certainly the best first thing to try, as this often fixes the issue.

Are you able to run a speed test with a device connected 'wired', with a wired speed test the throughput speed (i.e. the speed you get from a speed test) should be much closer to the sync speed (i.e. the speed you see reported in the router, as shown in your screenshot).

With a sync speed of 50.8mpbs then you would really expect to get a wired speed test result of 46-49mbps. If you don't get speeds this high then it would be good to try another +30 minute shutdown.

Running a speed test with a wireless device is not ideal, as there may be Wi-Fi interference affecting the speed, even if you are very close to your router, if a neighbour had a router broadcasting on the same channel as yours then your speed could be affected.

Message 17 of 19

This is something I already tried and it was worse after doing that. A soft reset improved what was made worse by switching it off for 30 minutes.

0 Likes

FritzCT
Wise Owl
Message 18 of 19

sync pseed and download speed aren;t the same thing but if your download speed hasn't changed then the first thing I would try is to power down the router for at least 30 mins and see what happens when you restart everything.