FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel like I have been miss sold

davros19461
Chatterbox
Message 25 of 25

New to TalkTalk but feel  a little led up garden path.

Signed up for fibre 65 Advertised as having average speeds of 67!

Confirmation gave me guaranteed speeds of 21 -39. No real warning bells as I knew my line  to be capable of 57 .

After installation I got the proforma info regarding  speed variations over first 14 days.  I assumed the speed would be edged up to the maximum possible that did not produce instability = WRONG.

Speed started at 39  and there it has stayed!! On querying  this I was told I was getting the guaranteed. 

I do not dispute this but there has been no effort to try  supply  the faster speeds advertised and being paid for

I could have got 39 non the cheaper package   ----- unless of course they would only have guaranteed some thing around 18 or less.

I will as things stand be going back to my old provider in due course unless someone engages with me. 

Was with TT years ago. Some aspects are much better but.......

Evil does not succeed because of the wickedness of the Wicked but because of the weakness of the Good - Napoleon
0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi davros19461,

Glad to hear that new router has improved your speed (as ferguson has said, you don't need to include any details when you return the router

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 25

Glad to see that this seems to have been sorted. You won't need to enclose any details, the serial number will be noted, but do make sure you get a receipt and tracking number when you return the original router.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi Chris 

Improvement with original  router stalled at 44.5 (speedof.me = 45.01)

New router at dashboard showed instant improvement to 54.7 (speedof.me=56.08)

Delving deeper into the DCHP settings on the router it was showing actual downspeed as 57  with the upper limit as 75 so DLM might edge it up a bit.

I am not expecting in to go up very much further as at installation by BT the line was  clocked at 61 ( giving me actual of 56 - 59 with Plusnet) so I am guessing that will probably be it until FTTP comes.(cable came down the road  about 6months ago)

So thanks for your help. I am a happy bunny once again.

All that is now left is the question or the 1st router which is probably faulty . Do you want it returned using the prepaid label in the box with the new router? If so do I need to include any reference you to tie in the return as being from me and its history of not performing very well.

Evil does not succeed because of the wickedness of the Wicked but because of the weakness of the Good - Napoleon
0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Hi

I would leave things until after the weekend, see how it goes, and then swap over the router ans see if the speed is fine with the new router.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Hi Chris

Thanks for the Router which arrived today - Very efficient!

Unless I hear otherwise from you I intend to delay trying it because since our last exchange, the speed has been gradually edging up !

I am wondering if the DLM is now actually doing something positive for me. 

Speed after having turned of for the 1/2 hr you recommended, increased from 39 to 40 at the router, by 7pm it had gradually increased to 43 and this morning was 44. The first sign of any change since TalkTalk took over the service around a month ago.

speedof.me (that my old ISP always recommended) now reading 45.6 and has also show that latency has decreased to 24 from 26 over the same period. 

I will be guided by you but feel inclined to leave things as they are whilst they are moving in the right direction.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Hi davros19461,

I've ordered a different make and model of router to test with, it should be with you within a couple of working days 

Thanks

Chris

Message 7 of 25

You previously said you only had one socket, but now you mention a master socket downstairs. Have you tried connecting there at the test socket? 

Message 8 of 25

oops message should read "a different router"

0 Likes

davros19461
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 25

adifferent seems like a good idea it would or exclude that possibility - but is there any way of testing the wiring from your end??

Just surfaced in my mind that when BT first installed fibre some years ago ago now, my Master socket (downstairs) was changed but the data socket they installed upstairs was, if my memory serves me correct, somehow  wired from the junction box outside the house reusing the existing cable from the upstairs extension that had previously been used  with a filter for phone and PC

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

OK thanks. I can send another router to test with, just in case there's a problem with your current one, would you like me  to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

davros19461
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 25

Router plugged directly into wall socket, no adapters.

Nearest electrical equipment is the PC connected via TT supplied ethernet cable.

Since yesterday there has been a very modest increase in speed

40.4 at router

41.63  measured by speedof.me 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Thanks, that's the latest version. Is your router situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference? Is it connected to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other devices?

Chris

0 Likes

davros19461
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 25

2826t

0 Likes

Message 14 of 25

Thanks for the information, which firmware version does your router have (could you give the last 5 characters please)?

Chris

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 15 of 25

@davros19461  you have your up and down transposed, however as the upload is above 10 you are on a Fibre 65 service.

Please post you line stats from the router, the noise margins can give a big clue as to if there is a line issue.

As previously asked, is the phone line quiet with no unexpected noises or crackles ?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

Hi Chris

No real change 

At router 40.4 up  /  14.3 down.

Hi ChirWhen swapping to  TT I was informed of a problem with the line  "we  are working on it". I never heard outcome but experienced no problem myself.

Also I checked as I was told router needed an upgrade to software your assist manage to completely scupper me for nearly two hours befoire I finally  got back on line by myself - firmware unchanged. Could any of this be relevant?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

OK thanks, as the profile isn't limiting your speed could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if the speed has improved. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

Sorry Chris should have actually looked BT installed data lead ?? from junction box outside the house

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

FTTC. This is the only phone socket in the house

Phone plugged in to lower socket

BT installed data extension into the top (Clocked at 61Mbs) at intallation

0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

The line profile that you are on will allow a sync speed of up to 80Mbps so the profile isn't restricting your speed. Could you let me know which type of master socket you have - Your guide to master sockets

Chris

0 Likes