FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 35, Great Connection Guarantee, applicability.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 11 of 11

I recently signed up for the Fibre 35 package (the go-live date was 12 days ago), and whilst the connection has been stable it certainly feels slower than my old provider's package, which was also 35Mb/s. Even opposite the router the Speed Test rarely gets above 17Mb/s (although the speed to router is always reported at 39Mb/s).

I phoned the support line and was told it was probably due to the line stabilising over the first 2 weeks. But I'm not fully convinced it would still be unstable after 12 days.

I'll give it another few days, but given my general unease about the situation, my question is whether the "Great Connection Guarantee" is applicable for general reasons like this, and I can leave without a termination fee (within 30 days of my go-live date, of course), or am I supposed to argue the specific details of my case with someone? Can I simply apply to another provider, and the rest is handled automatically?

I'd rather go back to my old provider than enter into the full 18-month contract with a slow or erratic line.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi tvc15

To discuss cancelling your service you would need to contact our Loyalty Team by phone to arrange this.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11

Hi, yes I did try splitting the SSIDs (I presume to force connection to either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?).

In both cases the speed to router, as reported in the router settings, was the maximum (39.06 Mbps up/9.76 down). The transmit rate (Tx Rate), according to the macOS Network Settings, was 195Mbps in the 2.4Ghz case, and 1170Mbs in the 5Ghz case.

The Speedtest for 2.4Ghz was 14.87Mbps (link), and for 5Ghz was 26.36Mbps (link). Unfortunately the links don't include the graph, but the thing in common with all tests is that they start in the 30's range, then quickly drop after a second to the low 10's, then very slowly rise to the end.

I'll append this question here, instead of in another post: If I do wish to leave as part of the 30 day guarantee, can I simply place an order with another supplier, or do I need to do something else?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 11

Hello,

How are you getting on? Did you try separating the SSID's?

Thanks

Message 4 of 11

Hi @Anonymous,

All you could really try is splitting the SSIDs and trying different W-Fi channels as mentioned in my initial reply, but if you are getting the same performance from both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands than that does sound a bit strange, and may indicate an issue with the router.

If the staff here did think your router might have an issue then they would be able to arrange a replacement for you.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help further.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11

Hello again.

I tried switching off the router overnight, but the results seems similar (high 20/low 30Mb/s range). The result is the same using an iPad next to the router, or a MacBook one room away. I should also add that the router is the standard 'DG8041W' (black model), and I live in a small block of flats, so there are probably more nearby routers than is usual (although they have never interfered with previous routers).

I also tried toggling 'Airtime Fairness' and 'Band Steering' in the advanced settings section, both on 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz, but results are similar. Everything else is at the default settings.

Thanks for everyone's help, but I really do think the router just doesn't like something about my environment. Fortunately I noticed within 30 days.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hello,

Please let us know how the connection compares after the 30 minute router power down.

Thanks

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 11
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try anything!

Also I only have Apple devices at the moment, but I doubt that affects anything. I'll give it a go later on.

Message 8 of 11
If you are getting consistent speeds on both bands, and at various different distances from the router, it would be worth switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on you will get a new session in the street cabinet. Sometimes the session settings can restrict your download speed even though your sync speed looks healthy, so a +30 minute shutdown of the router would ensure you get a fresh new session, might not help, but worth a try !.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 11

Hi Skynet_TX, thanks for your reply, and the time taken to write it. I think you're probably right about it being a router issue rather than the line. Unfortunately I don't have any ethernet devices at the moment. It is odd that the distance from the router didn't affect the speed, nor whether it was on 2.4 or 5Ghz. It's around 28Mb/s today, but rarely gets higher.

I will probably still switch, if only to get a different or better router. I'll ask the specific question again in another thread.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi @Anonymous,

I know this isn't answering the question about the contract, but this might help with the actual speed issues itself...

If the speed to your router is reported as 39mbps then it sounds like your router is connected at pretty much the maximum speed you can get (Fibre 35 is capped to 40mbps).

Are you only doing a speed test on a wireless device, do you have a device that you could connect wired to run a speed test from. A wired speed test should give you speeds of around 35-38 if all is working well.

If you are getting much lower speeds on wireless then it may be that you are suffering from Wi-Fi interference.

There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other. Doing this in itself won’t fix the problem, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can easily see what device is using what band.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

I'm not sure what router you have, but be aware that the Sagemcom router has a 'feature' called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', this means it can change the Wi-Fi channel itself, overriding what you have set it to, it can randomly do this after minutes, hours or days !. So if you do find a channel that works well, but then things go bad again, check to see if the router has changed channel to something different to what you set it to. If you do experience this problem then just post back here to ask the staff to disable the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' on your router, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you set it to. This only affects the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub, if you have the Huawei Wi-Fi Hub it will stay on whatever channel you set it to.