FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 35 Speed / Now TV

Jeanette2020
Team Player
Message 21 of 21

Hi There,

In June 2020 I signed up for a 18 month faster fibre deal with TT, the deal came to an end in January of this year and I switched to a 24 month Fibre 35 contract.

On the 18 month faster fibre contract I had no issue with my internet at all and everything worked well, since switching to the fibre 35 deal I have had some issues, the download speeds I am getting are quite poor and NOW tv is almost unwatchable, the picture will be great for a minute or two and then it will go quite blurry and hard to make anything out clearly.

I have included a screenshot below which shows my latest speed test on the TT website, does anyone have any ideas / solutions on how to improve this?

Thanks

Jeanette

Jeanette2020_0-1649451942750.png

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Morning,

Please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Jeanette2020
Team Player
Message 2 of 21

Thanks Keith,

Have changed the channel to number 11, hopefully that solves the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Jeanette

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 21

Hi @Jeanette2020 

Thanks for all of your screenshots.

In the 2.4GHz band, you should only ever use channels 1, 6 or 11 as they are classed as the only non-overlapping channels. You are currently on channel 8, please move that to channel 11 (please see my guide for instructions on how to do that).

If the problem still persists, please can you get me a new set of screenshots having moved to channel 11?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 21

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so that I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 6 of 21

Hi Keith,

The router I am using is the TalkTalk WiFi Hub Black and have been using that since January this year.

Before January this year i had the other Wifi Hub the one with the goldish background and i had no issues what so ever with that router, it is only since i renewed my contract and was provided with another router that the issues began.

Thanks

Jeanette

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 21

Hi @Jeanette2020 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with your wireless speeds. 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

Message 8 of 21

Morning,

Thanks for the update. @KeithFrench - would you be able to offer some advice in regards to the varying wireless speeds please?

Thanks

Message 9 of 21

Hi Michelle,

I have just done some speed tests both wireless and wired and the wireless speeds have dropped quite a bit, since I turned my router off for 30 minutes a week or so ago and the speed improved it only seems to last for about 1.5 weeks at the most before dropping low, the wired test results are still high though. Really not sure what is causing this issue but the only way to sort it seems to be by turning my router off for 30 minutes every 1 / 2 weeks.

Jeanette2020_0-1651941786705.pngJeanette2020_1-1651941799603.png

The wireless tests are above and the wired tests below

Jeanette2020_2-1651942090695.pngJeanette2020_3-1651942109963.png

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Would it be possible to run a few more wired speed tests over the next few days so we can see if the speeds drop?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi Debbie,

I have just done a wireless and wired test with my laptop, the wireless test results are below and the wired tests are at the very bottom

Jeanette2020_0-1651010135428.png

Jeanette2020_1-1651010154985.png

The wireless test results are above and the wired test results below

Jeanette2020_2-1651010357085.png

Jeanette2020_3-1651010370036.png

Both of the results are looking good but the speed never seems to stay that high.

Thanks

Jeanette

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Hi Jeanette2020

Would it be possible to run a wired speed test?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 21

Can you try some wired - directly, not via PLAs - tests for comparison? 

Message 14 of 21

Hi Michelle,

The speed test was completed wireless via my laptop.

I have powered down the router for over 30 minutes and just done 2 speed tests, which don't seem to have solved the issue.

Jeanette2020_0-1650667843223.png

Jeanette2020_1-1650667861900.png

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Was this speed test completed wired or wireless? Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test please as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Thanks Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 21

I'll ask TalkTalk support on this forum to investigate, as it is nothing that I will be able to help with.

Keith

Jeanette2020
Team Player
Message 18 of 21

Hi Keith,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The only real issue I have is with the NOW tv app on my Youveiw box, the other aps on the Yoview box such as BBC Iplayer etc all seem to work fine.

A week or so ago i turned the router fully off at the plug and left it for half an hour or so to clear the existing session and when i started the router back up NOW tv was working very well but that only lasted a week or so and the issue has now returned.

The Youview box is connected to the internet via Powerline adapters.

I have just done back to back internet speed tests on my laptop and getting varying results although neither if the results are particularly good

Thanks 

Jeanette

Jeanette2020_0-1650400547877.png

Jeanette2020_1-1650400570799.png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 19 of 21

Hi @Jeanette2020,

@Gliwmaeden2 has asked me to help you. If you can please answer her questions about the way your devices connect to the router, then hopefully I will be able to help you.

Keith

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

If your speeds to the device are poor, but speed to router is good, @Jeanette2020, it could be a problem with wifi congestion. 

That's unless the device is wired.

Could you clarify?

@KeithFrench is particularly knowledgeable about such issues.

He may be able to help you over the weekend. Staff will not be back on here before Monday. 

Help is also available via Chat from 9am:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Ways-of-contacting-us/ta-p/2230529

Phone support is available from 9am on Saturday but not Sunday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.