Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre 35 speed

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Have just recently signed up for Fibre 35 and have a question about my guaranteed download speed.

Looking in my router I am getting a 40:10 down;laod/upload which I assume is right (see screenshot below).

Whene I look in the TT service pages it appears that I am getting a download speed of below the minimum guarateed speed, Between 30 and 32 Mbps and the guaranteed speed appears to be 35Mbps. It doesn't seem much bit if I am paying for 35 I would like to get 35 (relevant screenshots are attached).

Rgds roddy5a

Divsec
Community Star

Hi @Anonymous the speeds are defined some where in the small print as to the router. Yours is excellent

What happens inside your home is no responsibility of talktalk and your measured speeds are very good.

I see 79 to my router consistently and am very happy with the 68 I see see around the house (dropping to 35 in the wrong place)

Please don't worry. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Divsec,

Thanks for your response, can you help me understand a couple of things? I am a novice a probably have 'stupid' questions.

1. as I understand it, the 40, 10 is the so called sync speed and this happens somewhere other than at our house - maybe the exchange or the green box at the end of our street. Nothing I do, in reality, has any effect on this unless I purchase a different Fibre plan.

2. This sync speed is not what is delivered to our house, the speed degrades due to the copper wires (somewhere we lived they were Aluminium) and the distance from the Green Box.

3. So TT have decided that my minimum guaranteed speed will be 35Mbps at the router input (I am guessing here and am not sure but seems sensible), I fully understand that post the Master socket its all down to me, my wiring and computers, TV and tablets.

I was pottering along very happily until for some reason or the other I logged into my TT account and went to the service page. its TT's own system that has flagged the issue with the speed to the router being 'low' and the graph in the TT service centre which refers to the speed being lower than guaranteed download speed - albeit only by a few Mbps.

My only question about the download speed is if I am paying for a guaranteed minimum, why am I not receiving it? If the figure is an average over a period of time, can you let me know what the period of time is and how do I get the historic data to check?

Rgds roddy5a

Divsec
Community Star

Hi @Anonymous I'm going to try and answer your questions but be prepared for me to be totally wrong and then demolished by other more learned community members 🤔

1 These are the speeds at which your router synchronises with the exchange and are spot on correct.

2 as above

3 This is what they expect you to see inside the house when connected by ethernet cable to a computer.

Honestly the only question is does it work for you? Does the speed of your connection are prevent you from doing things?

As for value for money, will an argument about a couple of mbps improve your life?

Sorry if I sound flippant or dismissive, it is not intended but I do see perfectly nice people getting in a right mess over not a lot.

Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon but please remember that the staff here work office hours. Good luck in your quest.

One thought occurs  have you tried a 30 minute router reboot this often improves things.

D

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Divsec,

Thanks for the response. Will wait and see what others have to say.

Just one more question, I have heard lots of things about rebooting routers too frequently and other people saying if it ain't broke leave it well alone. Whats your view on doing a 30min reboot every month or week or??

Txs roddy5a

Divsec
Community Star

Hi @Anonymous less is best but 2 or 3 times a month will have no problems.

Good luck.

D

ferguson
Community Star

What do your speedtest results show when checking from within the Service Centre?

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/speed-to-router

Click on Find out more under the Speed to your Router box.

Divsec
Community Star

Hi @ferguson they're attached to the first post and not appallingly bad 😜

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I just measured the internet speed using an ethernet cable and the figures are:

Ping   Download   Upload

17          34.9           9.4

17          37.6           9.4

19          33.2           9.4

average; 17.7, 35.2, 9.4

All of which is great but still doesn't really answer my initial question, why does the TT service centre 'flag an issue with my speed' a little amber coloured triangle with an exclamation mark in it and a graph which shows that at midnight for the last 7days (at least) I am running below my guaranteed minimum speed?

Rgds 

roddy5a

ferguson
Community Star

Well there's nothing wrong with those figures. Service Centre could just be wrong, it has been known. Wait for the support team to advise further. 

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi roddy5a

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 40mb. No faults detected.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a wired speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Debbie,

Will do tomorrow morning and let you know.

Rgds

roddy5a

OCE_Debbie
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Debbie,

Didn't have to wait for 2moro after all.

Just turned router of for 35mins and then switched it on and let itstand for 15mins and then run a wired internet speed test

pind    d/load   upload

17       37.5      9.4

17       37.4      9.4

17       37.4      9.3

These appear to me to be a good set of reults (?), d/load slightly better than this morning.

My quuestion is still, why does the TT service page tell a different story. I don't normally run wired speed tests, if I want to know all is OK I just look at the TT service page.

Rgds

roddy5a

OCE_Debbie

Hi roddy5a

Thanks for your reply.

The speed test results look good based upon your sync speed.

I'm not sure why the service centre page is showing this message. It would be worth testing the connection again in a weeks time (using service centre) to see if the message still shows.

If the performance of the connection is ok and you are not experiencing any issues then I wouldn't worry about this message.

Thanks

Debbie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Debbie,

Just checked the TT service status page and it has measured my 'midnight' speed as 38Mbps and the graph now shows me as being above the min guaranteed speed! Maybe the router reboot was responsible.

So two questions;

1. assuming the router reboot was responsible for the above, how often should I rebott the router to maintain optimum speeds? Every two weeks, 4 weeks?

2. Juast for my information, where in the system is the sync speed measured, I have always assumed the exchange or the green cabinet (we have FTTC, and hence it could be either). Then allowing for signal degradation from the Green cabinet to our home is the minimm guaranteed speed. Or is this just my imagination?

Rgds and thanks

roddy5a

OCE_Debbie

Hi roddy5a

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to your questions, I never reboot my router (very rarely)

As long as the router is not rebooted daily then DLM should be ok. 

The sync speed is to your router, but throughput speed (speed tests on your devices) will always be slightly less than the sync speed.