FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 65 Router restarts sporadically - Connection lost several times a day

Yothm
Chatterbox
Message 20 of 20

Hi, 

I tried online chat to solve this issue but after 2hrs of many questions from an agent going down the rabbit hole and implying:

1. no issues was seen on the test, hence I made it up. 

2. we have a weak Wifi signal and I should upgrade to booster

3. too many devices connected, how dare I have 10 devices to use for 4 people!

4. I should get business broadband since I work from home hence I am a business???

NO practical solution was offered, to the point that I am considering paying a large termination fee and leave.  

The issue we experience is that regardless of a number of devices connected or the time of the day, the router sporadically disconnects and restarts (going through the range of flashing lights), then restores connection.  It is totally random, happened when only one device is connected, or many at once.  This is now happening for the past week or so. We disconnected router for 30 mins, but it didn't fix the issue. 

The strength of connection is good anywhere in the house, and routers position is a good as it can be. The router is only 6 months old. 

I can see from the forum via the responses to others that you can see the number of router disconnects on the system and offer some steps to test if the router is at fault or if the line to the house got damaged somehow. Sadly, online agent didn't offer such advice or tests. 

So before I call cancellations department, is there anything else we can do to fix it please? 

Up until now, we had no issues with the connection, and were very surprised with the speed etc. 

But recent drops off in the middle of important zoom calls and online exam, resulted in increased stress levels. 

Thank you! 

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi @DanTomlinson

I will take a look at your topic/thread and I will post back there.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 2 of 20

Hi @DanTomlinson,

The staff here will be able to help you on the new topic you have created for this issue.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Debbie, 

I have this exact issue, could you update mine please?

Many thanks, 

Dan

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hi Yothm

I'm so glad to hear this, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk and @Skynet_TX 

I am happy to report that after firmware update yesterday, we have had a steady connection ever since. I checked the user log and no issues there. Fantastic advice and quick resolution. Thank you both so much! 

Message 6 of 20

Hi Yothm

Apologies, yes this will have been due to the update I just pushed through.

Thank you 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Thank you for such a quick response. The router has restarted just now, I am guessing it is due to firmware refresh.

I will keep an eye on the connection today and confirm later on if it remains stable. 

Fingers crossed this is the end of the issue.  Great helpful community over here!

Message 8 of 20

Hi Yothm

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've made a change the firmware, please can you retest and let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 9 of 20

Yep, each time a kernel panic error happens that would currently be causing your router to fully reboot, 1.06t should resolve that issue, so those reboots no longer occur, for the staff to apply the new firmware it will cause your router to restart, but hopefully once that is done you should no longer get these errors.

Message 10 of 20

Great!  Yes, you are right, I am on 

Hardware Version: I.1.01

Software Version: v1.05t

Just my luck then! 

Good to know that TalkTalk have a solution.  I will wait for them to get back to me in the next few days.  Thank you so much for your help, as I was getting quite fed up with it all. 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 11 of 20

Ok cool, presumably you are currently on firmware 1.05t (it probably shows you the version on the login screen when you log into the router). This is a known issue with firmware 1.05t that affects a fairly small number of routers.

You can't update firmware yourself, it can only be updated by the staff here on the community pushing the firmware out to your router. So best to just wait for the staff here to respond to this topic over the next day or two, and they will be able to upgrade your router from 1.05t (assuming it is on that version) to 1.06t, that new firmware has a specific fix in it to resolve the kernel panic error.

Message 12 of 20

@Skynet_TX 

oh, wow! Your instructions are spot on. You were right, I have a huge number of Kernel panic errors on the router's user log. 

Like this: 

1981-01-01 00:00:10 [Error][Alarm-Log] AlarmID:104001,AlarmLevel:Error,Device reset. Cause: System reset due to kernel panic, Terminal:OTHER

Several dozens worth just for the last few weeks. 

I looked around for any pending firmware update, but it is blank under "software update". 

Shall I wait for TalkTalk to advise? Thank you! 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 13 of 20

If you remove the pull out plastic card on the back of the router there will be a label stuck to the router underneath, on that label it will tell you the router login name (which will be 'admin') and the router password.

So you just browse to http://192.168.1.1/ and log in with those details. I'm not personally using that model of router at the moment, but I think the log can be found here :

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advance Configuration > Maintenance Diagnostics > User Log

Or if it is not at that exact location then hopefully you would be able to find it by just checking the menu options once logged into the router.

Message 14 of 20

@Skynet_TX  yes, it is fully black. I cannot see any specific instructions on the back how to log into the hub. Can you please advise, so I can check tonight? Thank you! 

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 15 of 20

If you have the Huawei Wi-Fi Hub (black) then it would be worth logging into the router to check the log, can you see any mention of a 'kernel panic' error in the log, this is a known issue that can cause that router to reboot unexpectedly, and if you do see any of these in the log it could be resolved with a firmware update.

If you don't see any of those errors in the log then the staff here on the community will be able to investigate further.

The kernel panic issue only affects the Huawei Hub (the one that is fully black), so can you confirm that is what you have, rather than the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub (that has a bronze colour behind the holes on the front).

Message 16 of 20

Hi @Skynet_TX 

Thank you! I agree that router restarts are nothing to do with Wifi signal strength, but online agent would not listen and kept following (I assume) prescribed protocol, despite my protestations, as I hope it would lead to solution eventually. Alas! 

Router is standard TalkTalk black Wifi hub. 

Service centre and line test didn't identify any connection issues. 

Phone line is working and clear. 

The socket is non NTE, so no test socket available. There is a BT Digital access socket next to it, that looks like NTE 5C. I could try using it, but I do not know if it is connected as we only moved in 6 months ago. 

I will wait for TalkTalk staff to get back with other suggestions. 

Thank you again! 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 17 of 20

Hi @Yothm,

What model of router do you have ?

If the light(s) are indicating that the router is losing its connection to the internet and it is having to reconnect then this will have nothing to do with Wi-Fi signal strength or number of devices.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line (although the live chat team should have already checked this), this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

McKenize333
First Timer
Message 18 of 20

VMHub3VMHub3Screenshot (526).png

Darrach Joseph McKenize
0 Likes

McKenize333
First Timer
Message 19 of 20

Why not get you owe Router   ie Asus Route? put it into Back Of TalkTalk Hub  Run it off form TalkTalk Hub  Like what ive done VMHub3  so  RT-AX86U as my main Gateway and Turn Off WiFi on TalkTalk Hub Easy like 123

Darrach Joseph McKenize
0 Likes