FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 65 poor speed

artlin1
Team Player
Message 45 of 45

My Internet speed (via fast.com) have been poor recently.

I checked with talktalk and found that the package names have changed!

I was on FASTER FIBRE. Boosted up to 65mbps. It looks like, in the name change, that I got bumped down to Fibre 35.

So now I have changed my package (again) to Fibre 65.

Today, after waiting overnight for confirmation,  I have redone the speed test and nothing has changed. However, I am not surprised. 

The best that I can get is 38mbps.

If anyone from talktalk technical is going to help please do not ask me to do all those silly checks. Turn off and on, disconnect unused devices, etc, etc.

I have done all that.

Nothing changes.

The last time that I had a problem, it took me weeks to get any sense from Talktalk.  In the end, an Openreach guy checked in our green cabinet and found a poor connection. Two minutes later the problem was solved.

I am not going through that again.

I have checked with the BT site and the best speed I should get is 71 maps.

I am getting nowhere near that.

44 REPLIES 44

Message 1 of 45

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. When the line tests are clear then the only option we have is to arrange an appointed visit to the property, however if the engineer is unable to locate a fault and the speeds are within the predicted speed range for the line then possible time related engineer charges would apply.

Thanks

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 2 of 45

No. The best that Openreach can offer is FTTC at 80 mbps. "We have no plans to install FTTP at the moment"

The drawback of living rural, I suppose.

However, getting back to my original post, the last time that we had a low speed issue the Openreach engineer checked the connection in our cabinet and found that they were corroded. He reinstalled them and things were excellent for a while. Recently, I saw our cabinet being worked on by Openreach.  It is a mess!! Is it possible, once again, that we have a poor connection at the cabinet?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 45

Morning,

Is Future Fibre (FTTP) available in your area?

Thanks

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 4 of 45

And there is the real answer, thank you Chris.

It is all down to BT Openreach and their ancient copper wires that were laid years ago and never updated.

Absolutely pointless to keep upgrading or boosting the package if the wires coming from my house are 50 years old.

I guess it's the same with motorways and rail networks. Ancient, out of date infrastructure. 

At least now we all know the root cause.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 45

Throughput speeds of 41Mbps with a sync speed of 44Mbps are good

Although the service will allow a sync speed of up to 80Mbps, the speed you actually get depends mainly on the length and quality of the line from your street cabinet to your home. If the speed falls below the guaranteed minimum we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate but if the speed is above the guaranteed minimum and line tests are not picking up any faults then this wouldn't be seen as a fault by BT Openreach and so we would be unable to log it out for an engineer visit 

As it stands there isn't really much else that we can do as your speeds are above the guaranteed minimum. If you feel that your speed doesn't warrant the additional cost of Fibre 65 our Loyalty team can move you to the Fibre 35 service which will allow sync speeds of up to 40 Mbps

Chris

artlin1
Team Player
Message 6 of 45

No, results do not look good. They may be consistent but they are not good!!

A speed of 41 to 44 when I am paying for 65 is not good.

If my connection allows for speed up to 80 what do you intend to do to increase my speed?

I have done all I am prepared to do. The next step is up to you.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 45

Hi artlin1,

Thanks for running the speed tests, results look good in comparison to sync speed. Sorry, we can't run speed tests from our end

Changing from Fibre 35 to Fibre 65 just removes the 40Mbps speed cap

Your current connection allows a sync speed of 80Mbps and we can't set a minimum speed of 40Mbps (you speed is above this anyway so it wouldn't really make any difference to your speed). Setting a minimum speed wouldn't really be advisable anyway as this could potentially leave you with a very unstable connection and/or a connection with a very high error count or potentially no connection at all

Chris

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 8 of 45

Hey, I've got a idea. Bear with me.

All the tests so far have been at MY END.

Wired, wireless, new router, test socket, etc.

Now, if a customer upgrades from, say, Fibre 35 to Fibre 65 then there must be account setting that state the parameters. I don't imagine an engineer running around flipping switches so the parameters are software set, right.

How about you make some changes to my account at YOUR END? Maybe, for instance, boost my connection from 65 to 80 or, better still, boost my minimum to 40. Then we can check if that makes any difference.  At least it will eliminate another possibility. 

Waddya say, eh? Let's give it a try.

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 9 of 45

So, what have you achieved? 

Running the test socket with old router, no improvement 

Running the test socket with the new router, no improvement. 

Running wireless or wired, no improvement. 

The download speed is anywhere between 38mbps and 41 mbps. 

Pretty consistent.  Consistently poor!!

My original question in my original thread was about restoring  speed to what it was before the package rebranding.

Then I was getting a healthy 51 to 55mbps. 

The current settings are nowhere near that.

What are you actually doing about this? 

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 10 of 45

Here are the test results.

Test 1. Ookla. 41 download, 10 upload. Fast.com download 41 upload 11.

Test 2. Ookla. 40 download 10 upload. Fast.com 41 download, 11 upload.

Can you not do a speed test from your end???

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 11 of 45

Yes I can do that.

Can you answer my question?

Why has my minimum guaranteed speed been reduced from 29mbps to 15mbps?

Message 12 of 45

Hi artlin1,

Yes your sync speed appears to have been 44Mbps since 25 Sept. Could you try running a couple of speed test, at least 10 minutes apart, on fast.com, on the laptop that you have connected to your router by Ethernet cable. Please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 13 of 45

OK I have hard wired, ethernet, connected my laptop and opened my Internet so that data is flowing.

A couple of questions for you!!

I sign in to my talktalk account and access the service center. I try to run a speed test from there and it fails EVERYTIME.  

Is your speed test function broken??

The download speed over the last 7 shows an absolutely flat line at 44mbps. Totally flat. Am I supposed to believe that my download speed has not varied one iota in the past 7 days?

The guaranteed minimum is set at 15mbps. The other day it was set at 29mbps, which I thought was low but now it has been reset to 15!! If I am paying for fibre 65 getting, according to your graph, 44mbps but my guaranteed speed is only 15mbps then I think that is a very poor deal!!

Why has my minimum been reset to 15mbps? 

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 14 of 45

Do you mean like a LAPTOP computer?

Yes, I do and yes I can connect it wired.

Do I need to run anything on it or is it ok to just load my internet?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 45

Morning,

Do you have any other devices that you could connect wired to run a wired speed test please?

Thanks

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 16 of 45

You need to be more specific. Test what wired?

My smart tv is hard wired into the router, would you like me switch that on for a few hours?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 45

Hello,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed looks really stable and I can only see 1 re-connection on the line. Would it be possible to test wired for a short period so we can confirm if this is solely related to the wireless?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 45

the new router was connected yesterday evening, Saturday,  and overnight. No issues.

At 9.35 this morning I lost connection for 35 minutes.  Had to reboot this router 4 times.

Speed this morning is now 27mbps wireless. No better, no worse.

0 Likes

artlin1
Team Player
Message 19 of 45

Replacement router has arrived.

It is now connected, up and running in the test socket.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 45

Hi artlin1

We have checks that we have to complete when no obvious faults are detected.

Please let us know once the replacement router has been connected for 48hrs and we will check the connection stats again.

Thanks

0 Likes