FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 65

basiltayor44
First Timer
Message 17 of 17

I have upgraded to Fibre 65 a while back From basic fibre. The speed doesn't seem any better?  I spoked with Technical services about it and they told me that they only guaranteed a minimum of 29 Mbs for Fibre  65. I've checked the best speed that I can get over the last couple of weeks and the best that I've got is 36Mbs.  This is  much the same as I was getting on my basic speed? Any suggestions? Or I might as well save some money and change back to my original package. Baz

16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

As mentioned previously, if you start your own topic the support team will be happy to help.

andy9
Participant
Message 2 of 17
HI,I AM THE SAME WAS ON FIBRE 35 ,CHANGE TO FIBRE65 NO DIFFERENCE IN SPEED TOTAL CON AND STILL NOT RECEIVED MT ECHO WHICH WAS ALSO PART OF THE DEAL.
Andy
0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi @jsteven1,

For the staff here to look into this you would need to start your own topic to ask the question, as the staff here can only help one customer per topic.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond early next week to help.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi There

I have recently moved onto the Fibre65 package and before doing so I checked a few things to ensure that I would be able to get speeds faster than I was getting on the Fibre35 package which was around 38Mbs.  I checked both the BT site which indicated a clean speed of 54Mbs for my address and also logged onto my router which showed a maximum download speed of 61Mbs.  Having been on the new package for a couple of weeks I find I'm getting a speed of around 44Mbs which whilst a small improvement on my previous package is not what I was expecting.  More confusingly, when I now check the maximum download speed on my router it is reading 44.783Mbs and not the 61Mbs it was showing previously. Two questions; Is there a reason why it has changed and why move people to a package that has an advertised speed that cannot be delivered.

Thanks

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 17

Hi Beany2,

I can see that Skynet_TX has pointed you in the right direction 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hello @Skynet_TX 

Ok thank you.

Message 7 of 17

Hi @Beany2,

For the staff to be able to help, you would need to start your own topic (or continue to discuss this with the staff on the topic you already have ongoing). They can only help one customer per topic on this community.

Beany2
Team Player
Message 8 of 17

Hello @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I'm getting around 50mb download speed, highest I've had was 53mb. I'm wondering if the line speed could be tuned / tweaked further to see if the speed could be increased? I know that 67mb may not be achievable but if it could get nearer to 60mb I'd be happy with that. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi basiltayor44

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and the line is in sync at 36.7mb.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can check the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17
Name and phone number confirmed

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 17

Morning,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Message 12 of 17
Normally TalkTalk would not offer you Fibre 65 unless they were confident your line was capable of speeds well over 40mbps, however I have seen several customers with similar issues recently where they have been allowed to upgrade to Fibre 65 even though their line was never going to be capable of speeds over 40mbps.

The speed you can get is totally dependent on the length and quality of your phone line (between your home and the street cabinet), that link to the BT site in my post above should help you determine the maximum speed your phone line can achieve based on its length.

Message 13 of 17

Thanks for the info Skynet This info opens a whole can of worms .... I will give it some thought and may do as you say when I get my head around the problem. Thanks again Baz

Message 14 of 17
Many thanks for info Ann . made interesting reading.
Where you live and how far from the fibre box and exchange determines the speed that you can expect.
Talk talk don't give you that info. and offer you fibre 65 knowing that you have no chance of getting that speed.
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 15 of 17

Hi @basiltayor44,

It would be worth checking your address on this site, this will show you the speeds that BT think your phone line is physically capable of, the VDSL rows at the top of the results will show your maximum possible Fibre speeds. There is no guarantee that TalkTalk would offer those exact same speeds, but it should be a rough guide as to what your phone line is capable of. So if those numbers are not significantly higher than 40mbps (which is the maximum that Fibre 35 could provide), then there is no point in you being on the Fibre 65 package.

If you would like one of the staff here on the community to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 17

Hi
Some, hopefully relevant, contact details....
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

If you’re an existing TalkTalk customer, and you’d like to speak to someone about your account and billing, moving house, to get some technical support, or make a complaint,
call TalkTalk on 0345 172 0088 – it’s free if you call from a TalkTalk landline,
or alternatively 0345 172 0046 – it’s free if you call from a TalkTalk landline.

There is a SYNC speed that is usually quoted, and/or guaranteed by an ISP as part of your BB contract.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/50841i095000F173F6F42A/image-size/larg...

My figures are in high 70's and Upper teens, with the MGALS/HandBack threshold speed of 67+ Mbps, although my actual thru speed seems only to be mid-to-high 30's.

AND then here....

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/home1/

You are connected to cabinet 00. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 3454 meters (sic).

G.Fast broadband up to 160Mbps
G.Fast is available with an estimated downstream speed of 265.3 to 330Mbps. For the time being, we are limiting G.Fast speeds to a maximum of 160Mbps.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s
VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 74-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 19-20Mb/s.

ADSL broadband up to 5.1Mb/s
ADSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem at the telephone exchange. For your location the forecast download sync speed is 2.8-5.1Mb/s.

Talk Talk may only be offering some, all or n0ne of the above to you.

0 Likes