FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 65

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 44 of 44

I upgraded to fibre 65 around a month ago and my speeds are no better than before.
I was given an estimated speed of 40-49 gbps and a guarantee of 38.9, however I am only achieving 36mbps to the router and even your own on-line test facility rates this as "Poor".
A check on the BT Broadband Availability Checker shows a maximum speed of 67 mbps for my address, so your quoted estimate should be well achievable.

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 1 of 44

Hi John

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 44

Hi Debbie,

I have been using the new router for a week now and there is a vast improvement in the speed of wired connections, which are now perfectly acceptable. As a bonus, the wifi is slightly stronger as well !

I will return the old router within the next few days.

Thanks to you and the team for all your perseverance and help.

Kind regards,

John

Message 3 of 44
0 Likes

Message 4 of 44

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for that. I'll try the new unit for a few days / week and get back to you.

John

Message 5 of 44

Hi John

I've ordered you a Huawei WIFI hub for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 44

Hi Michelle,
No, I haven't tried a different router as I don't have access to one. I think that it would be worth a try, even if it just ends up ruling it out of the equation.
My current model is the Huawei HG633, would it be advantageous to try a different model??
John

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 44

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. Have you ever tested with a different router? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out. We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 44

Hi Chris,
There is normally a cable to a power line adaptor which I use for my desktop upstairs. However, I always unplug this before running any tests.
This has been going on for around six weeks and the only achievement is that, despite the upgraded socket, the doubling of the downstream line rate and the vast array of tests, the speed is now even lower than when I first contacted you. In fact, looking back over my notes, I see that the direct connection speed is still declining.
Given that there appear to be so many anomalies, could it be a problem within the router itself?
John

0 Likes

Message 9 of 44

Hi John,

Thanks for the information. The results are a bit strange, do you just have the one device connected by Ethernet cable to your router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 44

@Chris-TalkTalk 

Hi again,

Over the past week I have run a series of speed tests for both a direct connection to the router and via Wi-Fi. These were taken twice a day, at random times, and across three platforms, TalkTalk, Sam Knows & BT Wholesale.  I have attached a copy of the readings.

You will see that all three give reasonably consistent results for a Direct connection, all be it that Sam is consistently higher than TT & BT which aren't that much different to each other. As for Wi-Fi, they all give less consistent results, as one might expect, but all three are reasonably similar to each other. Also, in most cases Wi-Fi is faster than a Direct connection for all three platforms, which surely should not be the case.

I have tried switching off Wi-Fi in the router and running comparison tests, and strangely, all of the direct connections were marginally slower with the Wi-Fi off!!

I have also tried using different web browsers, changed the direct connection cable and tried it in different ports of the router, but none of these actions made any significant difference.

My simple logic can’t explain why, with a constant downstream line rate of  >66 into the router, a direct connection to it is only providing an average download rate in the mid 20s, which is slower than I was achieving before upgrading to Fibre65 and Openreach changed the main socket and boosted the downstream rate.

Hopefully you can make some sense of it.

John

0 Likes

Message 11 of 44
0 Likes

Message 12 of 44

Hi Karl,

I have run some tests on both TT & Sam Knows with very similar results.

I will monitor the speed on both sites for a few more days and let you know the results.

John

0 Likes

Message 13 of 44

Hi

Sync speed is 63mb and the pings are fine.  The trace shows nothing conclusive, only a slight increase at the third hop but nothing excessive.

In addition to using our speed test, can you also run some speed tests via Sam Knows Speed Test

No speed test is totally accurate so it is always good practice to compare results across a couple to check the average reading is similar.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 14 of 44

Hi Chris, again, appologies for the delay

They were run directly through the router.

John

0 Likes

Message 15 of 44

When you say wired, was that via the PLA's?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 44

Hi Chris,

Both the ping and traceroute tests were via the wired connection.

John

0 Likes

Message 17 of 44

Thanks for running the test John, were these on wired or wireless connection?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 44

Hi Chris,

As you will see, I ran two speed tests around the same time of day as the last set. The results are: Wired to the router 18.2 & 22.7, Via PLA 22.9 & 18.3, WiFi near router 56.

The wired connections are now down even further whilst the WiFi has returned to its previous high??  It all seems very erratic.

I have also run the ping and traceroute tests as you requested and have attached the readings.

John

0 Likes

Message 19 of 44

Hi John,

Thanks for the information. Could you run a couple more speed tests on the My Account speed checker and could you run a set of pings and a set of trace routes to www.google.co.uk, and could you post the results - Run a ping or traceroute

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 44

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The only other wired device I have is a PC which is installed away from the router and runs over your power line adaptors. Unfortunately it is not practical to get this connected directly to the router.

I have plugged the laptop into the PLA on several occasions and got very similar results to the PC. These are c3mbps slower than the direct connection. This implies that both devices would give similar readings if connected directly to the router.

I have run tests this morning with the following results: Wired to the router 27.8, Via PLA 24.7, WiFi near router 27.3.

I notice that the WiFi strength had dropped back considerably whilst the direct connection has also slowed, albeit to a lesser degree.  The downstream line rate is still high at 66.

John

0 Likes