FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 65

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 44 of 44

I upgraded to fibre 65 around a month ago and my speeds are no better than before.
I was given an estimated speed of 40-49 gbps and a guarantee of 38.9, however I am only achieving 36mbps to the router and even your own on-line test facility rates this as "Poor".
A check on the BT Broadband Availability Checker shows a maximum speed of 67 mbps for my address, so your quoted estimate should be well achievable.

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 21 of 44

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. It's strange that the wireless speeds are much higher than the wired speed. Do you have more than one wired device so we can confirm if this is related to the one wired device?

Thanks

0 Likes

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 22 of 44

Hi again,

Internet appered to be running slower so I did another test @ 23:00. Wired speed now down to 15.4 whereas wi-fi still good at 57.4 and downstream still 66.

John

0 Likes

John1949
Conversation Starter
Message 23 of 44

Hi Debbie,

Ran the tests at 14:30 with speeds of 55.2 over wi-fi and 32.7 cable.

Disconnected router for around an hour

Reran tests at 20:00 with speeds of 58.1 wi-fi and 25.5 cable.

Forgot to mention that I also did a factory re-set on the modem a few days ago but again, that made no difference.

John

0 Likes

Message 24 of 44

Hi Debbie,

Will do.

I have already powered down the router for over 30 minutes several times and it has made no difference, but will do it again between the afternoon and evening speed checks.

I have even changed the cable between the router and computer, just in case, but that made no difference either.

John

Message 25 of 44

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you also run some speed tests this afternoon and a couple more this evening, we can then check the results again tomorrow.

It may also be worth powering down the router for a full 30 minutes to see if this helps with the wired throughput speed.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 26 of 44

Hi Debbie,

Yes that was wireless from my phone.

I have just run some more tests and wireless is running at 55.6, wired 31.2

Also noticed that the downstream rate has increased again, now 66+.

John

0 Likes

Message 27 of 44

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I can see the speed test this morning - 53mb. Was this a wireless speed test?

0 Likes

Message 28 of 44

Hello Michelle,

The tests that I have run today are a combination of ones from my computer and, for the first time, wirelessly from my phone. The high readings are the wireless ones!

I have also been running tests, from my computer, on another site, DSL, which produces a graph and table of results, which I have attached.

It starts on 5th April with fairly consistant readings in the low 30s, then on the day of the engineers visit, 6th, the speed increases to the 50s but drops again later that day and on following days. On 9th the speed really dropped, averaging 6 which lasted until 11th when it reverted to the low 30s. Interestingly, their ISP identification changed from Tiscali to TalkTalk around the same time.

Hopefully this info will help with the conundrum.

John

0 Likes

Message 29 of 44

Hi John,

I'm sorry for the delay. Thanks for confirming. I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the sync speed appears to have increased since we last checked. I can see quite a few speed tests completed today and some looks really good and some looks low. Were all speed tests completed in the same set up?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 30 of 44

Hi Chris,

Yes these tests were done since the engineer improved the speed to the modem to c56k

John

Message 31 of 44

Hi John,

Just to confirm, have you tried this since the engineer visit?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 32 of 44

Hi Chris,

Have tried this and it made no difference. Also tried switching off the wi-fi in the router but that had no effect either.

I notice that there are other posts on the forum with the same or similar issues.

John

0 Likes

Message 33 of 44

Hi John,

If your throughput speeds are still low can you please switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest

Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 34 of 44

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

Hi Michelle,

I think that you may have tried the test when the engineer was here and the line disconnected for a while.

Anyway, he has managed to increase the speed to the router to almost 56k download and 17k upload, which is great. However, the download speed from the router is only averaging out in the low 20s when measured using both the TalkTalk and BT test sites, with the computer plugged directly into the router and all other devices disconnected. The upload speed is consistently good at c16k.

John

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 35 of 44

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line test now which has detected a possible voice fault. Do you have a dial tone? Is there currently any noise on the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 36 of 44

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

Hello Michelle,

By switching from the main socket to the test socket the speed to the router increases from 36 to 42 for download and 14 to 16 for upload.

The speed to the computer, connected directly to the router increased by around 4.

Interestingly, after carrying out the test I received an email from your Customer Services: "We've identified a fault and need to send an Openreach engineer to your home to fix it........" Is this a good idea given all the costs that could be involved? Obviously if needed I will go ahead.

John

0 Likes

Message 37 of 44

Hi John,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if there is no improvement by tomorrow.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 38 of 44

@Michelle-TalkTalkHi Michelle, I have now connected to the test socket as you advised. Initially it is running much slower but I will leave it for the 48 hours to see how it performs.

Thanks for your help,

John

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 39 of 44

Hi John,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket for 48hrs to see if DLM makes any changes to the speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 40 of 44

@Gliwmaeden2Thanks for your advise, will do as you say.

John