FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 65

Bruce2K
First Timer
Message 9 of 9

Morning,

Our new Fibre 65 package goes live early next week and wondered  how "locked down" the router you send out is?

Basically, she has 3 very unruly disrespectful teens and the only way to get them to do what they're asked is to remove the internet cable until they listen, which isn't great if just the 1 child doesn't listen but the other 2 have so not fair on them or us.

My plan was to fit an access point upstairs, have a VLAN for the gf (phone, TV & laptop) and have that VLAN always on. Then the 3 kids have their own unique VLAN each (1-3 for example) and apply time based policys so its on between say 6am - 9pm for younger 2 and midnight for the 17 year old. We can also disable whichever kids being naughtys VLAN manually in between these times if needs be.

Would I be ok to apply these using say an access point or maybe a watchguard for example behind the supplied TTB box? Do I have to use the TTB box?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

This will give you some guidance on configuring your own router & is indeed proof that you can use your own router:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

As for using other routers on SKY or BT, the likely reason is that they will not give you the required settings and login credentials, I am sure a third party would work should you be able to extricate those details from the ISP !

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi @Bruce2K 

Yes, I am 100% certain you do not have to use the supplied TalkTalk router, some people do use their own 3rd party router. However, if you go down this route it is your responsibility to ensure that the modem part of the router is compatible with the TalkTalk network.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9
Thanks for the link Martin thats perfect.

I know Sky and BT routers dont work on other networks. The problem with them is that you can't use "Any" other router manufacturer on their network. It has to be the Sky router with Sky and the BT Home Hub with BT was all I was getting at hence moving away from Sky

Was hoping this wasn't also the case with TTB but thanks to your useful link doesn't look to be!
0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

@Bruce2K 

I think you are getting things backwards !

BT and SKY routers don't work on OTHER networks.

You can use a third party router on any network if you know the required settings.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

Message 6 of 9
Thanks Keith, are you certain about this?
I'd rather use my own router to be honest but wasn't sure if it was locked down like BT do with their Home Hubs and Sky with their Sky boxes?
0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 7 of 9

You are going to be very disappointed, the TT supplied HUB does not have any software that will do what you want.

There is a network based utility called HomeSafe, but even that will not be suitable for your needs as restricting individual devices is not possible.

What is available is detailed in the article, link below

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-use-TalkTalk-HomeSafe/ta-p/2205196

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

You do not have to use the TalkTalk router if you don't want to.

Keith

0 Likes