FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband doesn't appear to have been upgraded.

SuzeW
Team Player
Message 19 of 19

On 30th November I renewed my TalkTalk broadband package early as I wanted to upgrade to the Fibre 65 service. I did this online and at the time I was advised that I would receive email confirmation when my service was going "Live".

As of yet I haven't received any word from TalkTalk so have no idea if my service has or has not been upgraded to Fibre 65 yet.

I was originally on the Faster Fibre package, which I believe is now called Fibre 35, and as far as I'm aware the following are the average broadband speeds:
- Fibre 35: average speed of 38mbps
- Fibre 65: average speed of 67mbps

I have done several speedtests, one was on the TalkTalk site itself, and none of them match the above speeds.  
The speeds I am getting are approx within the range of 30.1 - 32.1 download speed, and 9.5 - 10.4 upload speed.

Plus add in the fact that our Broadband service keeps dropping, lagging and is extremely unreliable at present, begs me to think that our service HAS NOT been upgraded.

Could someone please find out what is going on with my broadband service. Why it doesn't appear to have been upgraded, and why it is so awful and unreliable at present?

For info: Our router is the
Sagemcom-FAST5364 router, and its software is up to date.

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hi Susan

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 19

Hi Debbie.

Yes, why not. Another router might help!

Regards,

Susan

Message 3 of 19

Hi Susan

Would you like me to send a different router for testing to see how the wireless connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Hi Debbie.

Everything we use in our house is connected via wifi.

Regards,

Susan

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi SuzeW

Is the connection dropping on wired devices?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Regarding your drops in connection, do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

If the problem appears to be the Wi-Fi dropping rather then the routers internet connection dropping then there are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

Message 7 of 19

Hi @SuzeW,

Were you specifically quoted an expected speed of 67mbps when you upgraded, or are you just referring to the '67mbps average' that is mentioned on the website for the Fibre 65 product. The 67mbps average speed mentioned for Fibre 65 is the average speed across all customers that have the product, some customers will get more, some customers will get less, it does not mean that every individual customer will get 67mbps average.

The speed you can get is totally dependent on the length and quality of your phone line, the estimated speed range that has been quoted to you will take into account the length of your phone line.

Skynet_TX_0-1608749960703.png

Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 are exactly the same product, the only difference is that Fibre 35 has a cap applied to the line to limit your speed to a maximum of 40mbps. So all upgrading to Fibre 65 does is remove that cap, so if your speed was not being limited by that cap in the first place then upgrading will give you no speed improvement at all.

I'm a bit surprised that you were given the option of upgrading to Fibre 65 based on the predicted speeds that have been quoted above, as I thought TalkTalk would only give you the option of upgrading to Fibre 65 if your line was capable of speeds well over 40mbps.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

When I signed up for Fibre 65 it stated: we would get an average speed of 67mbps.

The speeds you are stating are nothing close to 67mbps.

Plus, shouldn't the Fibre 65 be faster than the Fibre 35?  Because in our house the speed hasn't changed since we upgraded to the Fibre 65 - it has stayed the same as before we upgraded.

Also, why is the service so slow and problematic?
As mentioned before our service keeps lagging and dropping service throughout the day and night, at no specific times. I used to have no problem connecting my tablet wirelessly from my bedroom, but now it is near impossible to use my tablet upstairs as it doesn't connect to the internet, or it takes ages trying to connect, or it eventually connects and then drops the connection almost straightaway.

I understand that it has been a difficult year due to the Covid-19, and more people are working from home and therefore the internet is under a bit of strain, but surely that wouldn't mean that things like my tablet computer would just stop working wirelessly, and our service in general would be worse all day & night?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hi Susan

Thanks for confirming your details.

I've checked and the predicted speed range for your line is showing between 41 and 27.6mb, with a minimum guaranteed speed of 23mb.

Your line is currently in sync at 37.3mb. Your current speed is within the predicted range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

OK Debbie.

I didn't have a telephone password set up, but I've just set one up, and then used the link you sent.

Regards,

Susan

Message 11 of 19

Hi Susan

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi Debbie.

As mentioned before, we don't have a test socket.

Regards,

Susan

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Hi SuzeW

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs to see if DLM starts to make any changes to the speed in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

The test socket would be built into your master socket if you have the appropriate master socket, @SuzeW.

See here to check:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-main-phone-sockets/ta-p/2205432

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 15 of 19

The download speeds I mentioned are the same speeds we were getting before we asked to be upgraded to Fibre 65. 

My son plays a lot of online PlayStation games and he has said that whenever he does a connection test on his PS4, the download and upload speeds are exactly the same as they have always been.  Before we requested the upgrade to Fibre 65 my son says his download speed for the PS4 was upto 34mbps download, and between 5 - 7.5 upload, and these speeds HAVE NOT changed!

Meaning no increase in speed since supposedly being upgraded to Fibre 65.  

I have already done an online service test and TalkTalk say nothing is wrong, and that everything is running as it should be.   We do have a landline, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

I don't understand what you are saying with regards to a test socket, but we don't have any other phone sockets.  All I know is that everything is connected via the usual microfilter and plugged into the BT phone socket in the wall.

Also my TalkTalk account states it is on Fibre 65, but I don't see how it can be as the speeds are exactly the same as before asking for the upgrade. And we are still getting lagging and dropping service throughout the day and night, at no specific times. Also I used to have no problem connecting my tablet wirelessly from my bedroom, but now it is near impossible as it doesn't connect at all, or takes ages trying to connect, or it eventually connects and then drops the connection almost straightaway.

We have also tried switching off and unplugging the router overnight, on two occasions, and this hasn't helped either.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

The download speeds I mentioned are the same speeds we were getting before we asked to be upgraded to Fibre 65. 

My son plays a lot of online PlayStation games and he has said that whenever he does a connection test on his PS4, the download and upload speeds are exactly the same as they have always been. Meaning no increase in speed since supposedly being upgraded to Fibre 65.

I have already done an online service test and TalkTalk say nothing is wrong, and that everything is running as it should be.

We do have a landline, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 19

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket to see if DLM starts to make any changes to the speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

Hi @SuzeW,

If you are getting upload speeds of over 10mbps then that would imply that you have been upgraded, as Fibre 35 only offers upload sync speeds up to 10mbps (and a speed test will always return slower speeds than the sync speed, so on Fibre 35 you would not normally get much more that 9mbps upload on a speed test), Fibre 65 offers upload sync speeds up to 20mbps.

Although as you mentioned 10.4 then as that is only just above 10 that could potentially be within the margin of error of the speed test, so couldn't be 100% sure you were on Fibre 65.

If you log into 'My Account' can you see if you are on Fibre 35 or Fibre 65.

If you have had an unstable connection recently then this can have a knock on effect on your speeds, so it may be that you have been upgraded, but your speeds are being limited due to the recent instability on your line.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.