FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband speed issues

marksteer
Participant
Message 24 of 24

New here so please bear with me until I get the hang of posting......

I have been having problems with internet connection since end January. Visits by TT and Openreach engineers could find no faults... Also line tests remotely by TT have not shown problem. I have had 2 new routers past 2 months.

However when I have run speed checks sometimes it fails and sometimes I get as low as 1mbps download speed. Yesterday when I did checks speed was up to 35mbps but also dropped to 5.4mbps at one point. Also I had problems with both Firefox and Chrome 'not responding'. Also some websites not connecting properly...freezing or stopping completely.

I changed Wifi channel to see if interference from neighbours but no difference. Same problems if I connect with cable directly to router.

This seems to be an intermittent problem. Very frustrating as I never know when speed will drop or cut off completely. Any help would be appreciated as phone line for help is not operating...not that I have had help before to resolve problem ....

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi Mark,

Thanks for confirming. I've re-run the line test now which has detected a possible voice fault. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? If the voice service is ok then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Hi, I have been continuing to run speed tests with ethernet cable connected to router. Speeds continue to be very varied from 4.2mbps to 30mbps. Sometimes problems connecting to browsers Firefox and Chrome and websites.

I do not have another router as I returned previous 1 to TT when I connected new router on 12/3/2020.

This is very frustrating with seemingly no resolution...

Mark

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

Hi mark,

Thanks for the update. Has there been any further increase in throughput speeds since your last post? Do you have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hi Debbie, Router powered down for 30 minutes...now showing solid white light. TT speed check showing 15.9 mbps download 9.4mbps upload. Connected with ethernet cable and no other devices in house...

MarkI haven't had time to check if websites stable

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Hi Debbie,

I will switch router for 30 minutes and try speed test again.

Last few days I have been recording less than 20mbps download wither ethernet cable connected. Yesterday it looked like ethernet cable was not showing connection to router but I checked fully plugged in both ends...

Back in 30-40 minutes...

Mark

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi Mark

Apologies for this.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 40mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run the speed again once the router has been switched back on?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Hi Matt, I've run some speed tests over weekend and this morning. Saturday I was getting download speeds 23 to 34mbps. Twice failed 'couldn't connect to server'. Sunday 17 to 21mbps. Also test failed a few times...

This morning Monday 27/04/2020...16 to 17mbps....

Laptop connected to router with ethernet cable.

Mark

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Hi Matt, I should have mentioned in my previous reply that I only have 1 device connected to the internet...laptop running latest Windows 10 OS...

Mark

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Hi Matt, Thanks your response. This is an on going problem... For last 2 weeks I have laptop connected by ethernet cable direct to router. I use TT speedtest to check speeds. I have had readings as low as 2mbps download. Also fairly frequently the speedtest won't run showing 'couldn't connect to server'. This morning I ran speedtest with slow start but reaching 23.7mbps download but 0 upload. Some of the time I get readings upto 35mbps so this seems to be an intermittent fault. I also often get both Firefox and Chrome browsers showing 'not responding' when I try to reach websites. I often find websites respond very slowly and some of time freeze completely.

This has been happening since end January so I don't think as a result of general increased internet usage at the present time.

This is very frustrating and any help from you would be much appreciated.

Mark

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Good Afternoon,

I have looked in to this fault and all tests are passing in sync at 40mg and the line is stable. Please can you re-test and ensure any speed tests are carried out with an ethernet cable and and a single device connected so get an accurate speed test. Pleae do this and advise if any other issues occur,

Many Thanks,

Matt

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

It does seem a while since I escalated it before, but there has also been a lot of posts on here, so I will escalate it again for you now.

Due to the current Coronavirus situation, the OCEs are very busy and there will be more of a delay to get a TalkTalk response. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Hi Keith, Following your recent help I have not had any contact from TT tech service except 'no-reply' email from Stephen (Community Manager). 

I am still having same problems despite now always connecting router to laptop by cable.....

When I have run speed tests results still variable down to 2mbps sometimes. Today tests have been showing 30+mbps but still problems when online such as browsers Firefox and Chrome showing'failing to respond' plus web pages freezing or failing to load properly...

Mark

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi Keith, Many thanks your help. I will check correct phone numbers on my profile.

Take care in these difficult times,

Mark

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Hi @marksteer 

Now that you mention it can be bad over a cable, that rules out any interference issues being the root cause.

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Most of time I use home Wifi but problems also seen when connecting laptop to router with cable. But I only have short cable so not convenient.... Single light on router...showing constant white.

My router is set to 2.4GHZ - I changed channel a few days ago in case interference from neighbours' wifis but no improvement.

I am only using laptop in the house....are you suggesting I change router setting to 5GHZ ?

I live in small village ....so I think no big concentration of wifi devices but what do I know!

This is all getting very complicated for me... 😞

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

That sounds like what I thought, most likely WiFi interference. Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Logged into router... showing 'connected, download speed 40mbps upload 10mbps'

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

OK I will try now. On TT speed check showing at moment 17.4mbps download but started around 2mbps...

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24
Access the router via your browse and the IP address and other info on the plastic panel. Hope this helps.
0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Sorry...'then go to:-' not sure where you want me to go to......

0 Likes