FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Optic Speed Incredibly Slow

solipsism
Chatterbox
Message 22 of 22

Hello, I have been a Fibre Optic customer for some time and since the installation, the speeds have slowly worsened with  time.  

When the engineer fitted my Fibre Optic he said I would get incredible speeds as I only live 300 metres from the main exchange.  

My speeds were fast to begin with, but now the speed is slower than a basic broadband package.   When I tested my line on several occasions this week out of pure exasperation, I was shocked to discover I was only getting a download speed of 7mb.  Before I switched to Talk Talk my basic broadband package with another company was giving me downloads of 8mb!  

So in effect, I'm actually paying a good deal more money for a good deal less internet speed and this has been going on for some time.

Considering I have children who all want to use the internet too, it is causing a lot of hassle but Talk Talk don't seem to care and I'm scared to phone them up as the last time, someone tried to lift money out of my bank in a phone scam, so I no longer phone Talk Talk but I'm tied to a high speed fibre optic contract that is slower than basic internet.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi andromeda

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.  

Thanks  

0 Likes

andromeda
Team Player
Message 2 of 22

For the past 14 months, my "fast fibre" has dropped from 58mpps down to 40mbps. No additional equipment attached to a LAN connected PC.  SpeedTest.net account has recorded all my tests and clearly shows a massive drop in download speed and a significant drop in upload.

I have complained to TT and for the remaining 3 months of my contract they are removing the fast fibre £5 charge.

My neighbour is on standard TT Fibre and he gets 38mpbs and pays £5 less than I do hence the complaint about paying more than I should for what I am receiving.

I was told by TT Managers (four occasions) that because more people have joined TT in my area my speed has dropped. Whoa! So I am supplementing those in my area and paying for the privilege too. Unbelievable! 

So TT, as you can't be bothered to rectify this exchange problem, I will be looking to move from you come August 2019. Just because you have more customers doesn't mean that you should then penalise those already paying extra for Faster large fibre. It's an absolute disgrace. I have been with TT 8 YEARS Now but enough is enough! See attached file

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Hi spaceplan9,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

when i first upgraded to fibre i was getting up to 30mbs whic is good for the village i live in , about 6 months ago i noticed this had dropped to about 15mbs . Talk talk have always maintained that the line was fine (apparently the line speed to my house was 27mbs) and that it was all to do with my internal set up - i have my own draytek router . Ive just purchased a s/h talk talk super router and i get exactly the same download speed.

During my latest chat with them they are now sayng that the line speed is only 15mbs and that if i want faster broadband then i need to purchase the faster broadband boost . Then the penny dropped , the reason i am getting slower broadbabd than when i first signed up is because they want me to purchase the broadband boost so they have restricted my speed to the minimum that they can get away with without contravening the terms and conditions of my agreement .

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

I've just had BT / Openreach confirm directly to me that they HAVE NOT been to visit my property at all - TalkTalk obviously have lied when they said had been - the day that I waited in (Friday morning 13th April) 8am-1pm for them to arrive.

What liars and they can do one if they think they're getting paid, hope some OCE are reading this and forward the message on, cause one big complaint is about to swing their way!

0 Likes

ALLEGRO
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 22

They eventually replaced my overhead line, also the underground cable running from the telephone pole opposite my house towards the street cabinet, and also  the the box inside my house. It has been 100% OK both phone and Fibre BB.P.S. It did take everal calls from Openreach though so keep on to them.

Good Luck.

Message 7 of 22

I wish I had the same luck, ever since Openreach have messed about at the mast and the cabinets, I've dropped from around 37mb to as low as 2.5mb but upload speed stays almost double and faster - any idea what was wrong with yours, was it settings (DLM etc.) or wiring?

0 Likes

ALLEGRO
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 22

My BB fibre has dropped from a regular 60Mb (on a 76Mb service!) to 13Mb down and 15Mb up. I have had about 3 months of decent speeds after my overhead telephone line was renewed and  unerground cable to street box renewed!  It seems "back to normal" again. Good old TT.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

already tried but after 30 minutes still same speed.

zia

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

@grouser wrote:

Try switching of the power to your router for 30 minutes then switch it back on,this as been known to cure this problem

hi my name is zia . i was getting 67 mbps now i am getting 47 mbps ( sync speed not out put speed) any help?

thanks

Zia

@grouser wrote:

Try switching of the power to your router for 30 minutes then switch it back on,this as been known to cure this problem

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi donna7467,

Thanks

0 Likes

donna7467
First Timer
Message 12 of 22

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and have tried to tackle talk talk about it several times but as you say they just don't care!

The reason I upgraded twice was because talk talk said it would eliminate the issues I was having at that time - SLOW BROADBAND They explained that becuase there was  5 of us connecting it would slow it down and if I upgraded this would solve all of that - it did for a while then it went slow a nother chat with talk talk who said I should go for the medium fiber I did and I am now back to slowness. I can't wait for my contract to end. to enable me to get that fiber in the first place  they were only offering 18m contracts. so like you i'm locked in until october 2016 ROLL ON OCTOBER!!!! just to add insult to injury the green box thing is about 50 yrds from my house!!!

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Hi solipsism,

Ok let us know how the connection compares when connected in a wired state 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Hi,

I've never checked it in a wired state as I only use wifi.  I will check that today.

Thanks

Craig

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi solipsism,

Thanks for confirming this. Just to confirm, how does the speed compare if you connect in a wired state?

If the speeds are ok when connected wired then we can focus on the wireless connection.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Hi,

I'm connected wirelessly and I have tried switching it off for 30 minutes already.

Thanks

Craig

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi solipsism,

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected a fault and the line is currently in sync at 40mb.

Are you experiencing the slow speeds whilst connected in a wired or wireless state?

Could you try switching the router off for 30 minutes and then retesting the broadband speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

Updated

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hi Craig

Please can you update your Community profile to include your name, telephone number and alternative contact number, we can then look into this further (Please do not post this information on this thread)

Please bump this thread to confirm once your Community profile has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 20 of 22

Hi,

I tried this earlier and it's made no difference.  

Thanks Anyway

Craig

0 Likes