FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Router dropping connection several times a day

Pi55ed_off
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 14

I recently transferred to Fibre after being with Talktalk since the Tiscali days.

I did this because I work remotely as an engineer in the construction industry. The software we use requires constant link to the main server as the client and server communicate frequently. This is to facilitate a distributed team approach where multiple members of the team access the design files at the same time (these files can be 300Mb+). 

My old basic broadband was too slow now I find the new service much worse as it drops out several times a day and has caused damage to the main files it synchronises with on the remote server. This has already cost hours of rework at a cost of around £250 per hour.

When I restart the router it connects back up and gives a full 60 odd Mb/s but after 10 -15 minutes has dropped to below 10Mb/s. Then after maybe an hour or so will randomly drop the connection and I am back to square 1 having to reboot the router again and getting another 10-15 minutes of uptime before the performance starts to degrade again then drops out all together again.

There has always been some sort of issue with the router as the Talktalk service centre has never been able to identify it.

Please help me resolve this as my clients a re starting to ask questions about this and may in the future require financial reimbursement for the damage and subsequent rework I am having to perform because of the damage being inflicted upon their files when the connection drops out during the synchronisation process which is corrupting the files on their server.

Everything else works, Wifi is fine, Wired network is fine but my internet connection is as stable as an Italian taxi driver trying to get home for the match.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi

A returns bag has been ordered.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

New router arrived this evening. Connected it and my speeds are up at 50-59 Mbps down and 8-9 up.

Thank you for your help.

No bag was provided for return of the old router.

Please send one if you want me to return it.

Now I will need to change my username!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14
0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Thanks Karl.

I'll keep you posted with how I get on.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi

Router on the way.  Just plug it in and it will be ready to go.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Pi55ed_off
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 14

Hi Michelle,

please send the replacement router.

We had all the cabling from the pillar to the house replaced a couple of years ago so hopefully a new router will fix it.

Will it be setup and ready to go so I can just plug it in?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Michelle,

thank you for getting back to me.

The Talktalk router is currently connected.

It is a EchoLife DG8041W Home Gateway Hardware Version: I.1.01, Software Version: v1.05t

I have not tested it with another router as I don't have a spare one.

The phone line sounds clear.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 14

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Is the router currently switched on? Which router is currently connected? (make and model) Is the voice service clear with no noise on the line? Have you ever tested with a different router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Profile now updated with landline number and name.

0 Likes

Pi55ed_off
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 14

Hi Skynet and thank you  for your response. I used the PC on the direct wired connection because it means the issue can only be with the Router. When I transfer files within the LAN by connecting another device via a wired (Cat 6) connection I get amazing transfer speeds, as you would expect from a 1 Gig wired network.

When the broadband connection drops the indicator LED on the router is amber then flashes until it reconnects at which point it is white. When it does reconnect speeds are slow. Sometimes sub 2Mbps.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 14

Hi

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi,

You mention that wired network is fine, so do you mean that the router is remaining connected to the internet all of the time, and wired devices don't lose their connection, and it is only wireless devices that are dropping speed and randomly losing connection, or do you just mean that your local wired LAN is fine, but wired and wireless devices are dropping internet connection ?

What do the lights do on the router when the connection drops, do they indicate the router has lost connection with the internet ?

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes