FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Boost not up to expected speed.

Beanz
Whizz Kid
Message 84 of 84

Hi,

I recently renewed my contract for another 18 months, this time with the Fibre Speed Boost.

At first there was hardly any increase in speed, so I did what was recommended and powered off the modem/router for at least 30 mins. Since then (5 days ago) the download speed has increased from roughly 38Mbps to about 47Mbs. Not exactly a massive improvement, I think you'll agree.

I was promised a minimum of 54Mbps.

The question is, will the speed improve over time or is there a problem?

By the way, I am using the BT Openreach fibre modem that was installed when I started using fibre back in 2014. Could that be causing the reduced speed?

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Beanz

0 Likes
83 REPLIES 83

_rik_
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 84

Hi Beanz!

Surely if they install g.fast in your cabinet + change the cables, you'll find yourself automatically on VDSL2+g.inp and along with better cables you'll improve the speed a lot without changing anything on your part.

Where did you find the OR plans for your area? Is it publicly available?

Sincerely I don't remember. Maybe somewhere when I was trying to locate my street cabinet.

If you don't mind to tell me your postcode (maybe in a private message) I can try to find as much info as possible on your cabinet.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 84

Hi rik,

What I meant was that OR said they will have to upgrade the cables where I live to be able to offer a G.Fast service. I don't want it myself, but I would like to get a decent speed on the current fibre technology. Hopefully, when they upgrade that might be possible. I am under 400m from the cabinet, so I should be getting at least 60Mbps IMO.

Where did you find the OR plans for your area? Is it publicly available?

Cheers,

Beanz

0 Likes

_rik_
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 84

Hi Beanz,

about g.fast I'm not sure can be of help in your case (and mine) because it requires a short distance from the cabinet (500m). If the data your router is showing are right, you should have the cabinet right at 500m so maybe you can take advantage of this techology.  However it was originally designed for 250m. Probably it's more interesting the g.inp protocol on the standard VDSL2 (and you'll get that for sure along with g.fast cabinet upgrade)

I've seen the Openreach plans for my area and in April 2020 they should upgrade the DSLAM in my street cabinet so should be available both g.inp + g.fast or g.inp alone on the current VDSL2. I'll test/write something about it when that happens. I'm at 700m from the cabinet so in my case g.inp would be even more of help than in your case.

I suppose the g.inp triggers automatically on the current VDSL2 line as soon as it is available because the TT router already manages g.inp when present. The g.fast on the contrary needs another contract (ultrafast) and I suggest buy that only after a g.inp test and if really needed. I mean, Ultrafast could be far worse than g.inp, or could be a bit better but not worths the money.

PS: I've read that Openreach disable g.inp for lines when they detect some routers they don't like (despite such router can manage g.inp). So it's important to have an OR compatible router, not only a router with g.inp on paper.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 84

Hi rik,

Thanks for taking an interest in this.

My router stats are still much the same, except that the line has now been up solidly for over 46 days with no change!

I'm very disappointed that Openreach cannot or will not give me the speed I was promised. I was told that when the lines were installed in the late 80's, they used cheap aluminium cables and there was nothing they could do about it.

They did say they will need to be upgraded in the near future to be compatible with BT's new G.Fast service. I'm not holding my breath though!

Cheers,

Beanz🙂

0 Likes

_rik_
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 84

I'm reading about unexpected low speed cases on every UK ISP forum to have a better idea of what's going on with Openreach, and I find this case among those of my interest because Beanz's router stats are amazing but the sync speed is pretty low compared to attenuation and SNR.

In fact, the router itself says that the attainable rate with such SNR/Attenuation should be 58.8/14 instead of 45.7/14

Rummaging here and there I see this is happening to many people on the Openreach network.

Maybe the current cables cannot cope with high frequencies (probably some junction where copper meets alluminium) and the attenuation and SNR aren't proper indicator for that problem.... but, an evil voice in my mind, hopefully wrong, makes me think about an Openreach trick to cope with the problem of not having a suitable fibre to manage the heavy traffic from the DSLAM to the Exchange in some areas... especially those areas without speeds over 80mbps (typically areas with no g.inp, g.fast or fttp, where even the Exchange is rubbish).

In my case, in 3 years, I've seen a decrease in speed of 10mbps, typical of crosstalk when  more users join the network, but asking for a report to PS shows no crosstalk at all, no interference, etc.... that's why I'm interested in case like this one and all the others where everything is fine but there isn't any way to reach the proper faster speed that should be available.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 84

Hi

openreach will make an initial speed estimate based on speeds across the area.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 7 of 84

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your input and I agree with you.

One question though, where does the minimum guaranteed speed quote come from? Openreach?

Cheers,

Beanz

0 Likes

Message 8 of 84

Hi

I do agree that raising a complaint will not change the information that BT have given.

It is an unfortunate outcome but if they declare this is the maximum the line will achieve, then we have to reluctantly accept this.

Thanks

Karl.  

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 9 of 84

Hi Debbie,

I'm not sure it's worth raising a complaint to be honest. If Openreach say that I'm getting the fastest speed they can provide, there's not much they can do about it.

Also, I can't see much point in me carrying on with the Speed Boost if it only boosts the speed by 7Mbps.

Do you think it's worth pursuing this any further?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Regards,

Beanz

0 Likes

Message 10 of 84

Hi Beanz

Apologies for this.

I can raise a complaint so this can be discussed further with a Complaints Manager. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 84

Hi Debbie,

This is very disappointing. I was promised a guaranteed minimum of  54.8Mbps and an estimate of between 60.2 and 73.6Mbps, so what happened to that?

There is no point running any more tests because the Openreach engineer could only get around 45Mbps using his equipment.

According to the engineer, my house is under 400m from the cabinet. This should give me a good speed. I think the truth is more like Openreach are not prepared to spend any more time or money trying to resolve this problem.

Where do we go from here?

Beanz 😐

0 Likes

Message 12 of 84

Hi Beanz

Openreach have closed this fault. They have advised that they completed work at the cabinet, they also tested 3 different line cards and left notes to advise that this is the fastest speed that the customer is going to gain at this time.

Our Network Team have asked if you can run a couple of wired speed tests?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 84

Hi Beanz

Apologies for this.

I have asked our Network Team for an update and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 84

Hi Debbie,

No, I've had no further updates so far. It was Friday afternoon, so maybe it's a bit early.

What I did get at 16.06 on Friday was a text from TalkTalk telling me that my service issue has been resolved! Also, my service status says something similar.

Clearly that is not correct. My d/l speed is unchanged at around 45Mbps, despite all the work that BTOR put in on Thursday and Friday.

Can you look into this please?

Regards,

Beanz

0 Likes

Message 15 of 84

Hi Beanz

Apologies for the delay.

Have you received any further updates from the engineers since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 84

Hi Beanz

I'm sorry this is taking so long to resolve, if you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check for updates

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 84

Hi Debbie,

I have an update after 2 visits by OpenReach.

After changing the cable from my house to the box in the road, putting me on a supposedly quieter line and reseting everything, I am still only getting around 45Mbps!

Apparently, this will now be escalated to other engineers to investigate.

The saga continues!😐

Cheers,

Beanz

0 Likes

Message 18 of 84
0 Likes

Message 19 of 84

Hi Debbie,

That's fine, thanks.

I will keep you updated after the visit.

Cheers,

Beanz🙂

0 Likes

Message 20 of 84

Hi Beanz

The engineer visit has been arranged for Thursday 4th July PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes