FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Boost not up to expected speed.

Beanz
Whizz Kid
Message 84 of 84

Hi,

I recently renewed my contract for another 18 months, this time with the Fibre Speed Boost.

At first there was hardly any increase in speed, so I did what was recommended and powered off the modem/router for at least 30 mins. Since then (5 days ago) the download speed has increased from roughly 38Mbps to about 47Mbs. Not exactly a massive improvement, I think you'll agree.

I was promised a minimum of 54Mbps.

The question is, will the speed improve over time or is there a problem?

By the way, I am using the BT Openreach fibre modem that was installed when I started using fibre back in 2014. Could that be causing the reduced speed?

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Beanz

0 Likes
83 REPLIES 83

Message 41 of 84

@johnhoe  You cannot replace Openreach sockets yourself.

0 Likes

Message 42 of 84
Beanz... If you are able to replace your Mk2 BT Main Socket with a Mk4 type with cams (no insertion tool needed) then you might well get a 15% speed increase. I can confirm that both a neighbour and myself had speeds go up from 50M to 60M just by replacing the main socket.
0 Likes

Message 43 of 84

OK, I will keep a close eye on it and report back.

Cheers, Beanz

0 Likes

Message 44 of 84

Hi Beanz,

Ok, please let us know how the connection/speed compares.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 45 of 84

Hi Michelle,

It's a shame you can't reset the DLM from your end.

Anyway, I still think it's worth waiting for another week or so just to see if anything changes. I don't want to be charged if the BTOR engineer finds no fault.

If after that there is no improvement, I will agree to a engineer visit. The connection is very stable, it's just the speed that is disappointing.

Thanks for your help with this issue. Let's see if anything changes in the next week or so.

Regards, Beanz🙂

0 Likes

Message 46 of 84

Hi Beanz,

This would be a BTOR engineer visit. Unfortunately we don't have the option to reset DLM as this is completed by the engineer following their investigation.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 47 of 84

Hi Michelle,

Are we talking about a Openreach engineer or a TT engineer visit? Because, with respect to your engineers, I don't know what they could do. I used to be a computer/telecoms engineer myself and I know everything is connected up correctly. There is literally 1 short cable between the BT master socket and the router 6" away. I will try another cable, but I doubt it will make any difference.

In my opinion the fault lies on the BTOR side, maybe a DLM issue. Could the DLM be reset?

The downstream sync speed has been stuck at around 44Mbps since 29th May, when I first left the router off for 30mins. This was the day after I had the Speed Boost activated.

From what I have read about DLM, it can take up to 10 days of error free working for it to increase the speed. So, unless you can get BTOR to reset the DLM on my line, I think the best course of action is to wait a while and see if DLM will increase the sync rate.

Looking at the line stats on the router indicates that it should be capable of around 58Mbps and I can see no errors at all reported by the router.

Hope that helps.

Beanz🙂

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 48 of 84

Hi Beanz,

Our Network Team have advised that the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit so I'm just sending you a Personal Message to confirm some details.

Please do not post any personal information on the Community, reply via Personal Message (PM) only.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 49 of 84

Hi Beanz,

Thanks for the update. I've passed this back to our Network Team now for further investigation. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 50 of 84

Hi Chris,

I left the router off for about 45mins and when rebooted got the exact same speeds, sorry.

Also johnhoe, according to that graph I should be getting just under 60Mbps. I would be happy with that and was given a minimum guaranteed download speed of 54.8Mbps when I signed up to the speed boost.

Regards,

Beanz

0 Likes

Message 51 of 84

Actually Beanz... If you are 500m from your cabinet, according to this graph of speed drop over distance, a speed of 45-50m looks about right. (This is without G.INP retransmission)

Image result for vdsl line attenuation and speed

The graph below graph shows the marginal speed improvement if G.INP is applied.

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/retransmission_linespeeds.png

There is obviously a "sweet" point where moving to "Faster fibre" is most beneficial. I would suggest this is probably within 300metres  from Street cabinet normally OR within 700 metres if G.INP can be applied to the line.

0 Likes

Message 52 of 84
0 Likes

Message 53 of 84

Hi Chris,

Yes OK, I'll try that again.

Beanz

0 Likes

Message 54 of 84

Hi Beanz,

Could you just trying switching the router off again for 30 minutes. If there's no improvement in speed I'll pass it back to our network team for further investigation 

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 55 of 84

Hi Michelle,

I'm glad to hear that the line test is now clear. However, I'm still getting the same disappointing speed. Only 43Mbps down and 13Mbps up.

The connection has been stable and the DSL up-time is currently 1 day 11 hours. That sounds about correct since I last switched off the router to tidy up the wires.

Why are my speeds barely above the non-speed boosted speeds I had before? I'm confused.

Regards,

Beanz 🙂

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 56 of 84

Hi Beanz,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line test which is now clear, however I can see a few re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, is the connection unstable or have you been rebooting/switching off the router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 57 of 84

Hmm... maybe johnhoe, let's see what TT say tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if the line test throws up an error or not.

Here are my Broadband stats from the HG633 router. Not sure what they all mean, but it looks like the line is capable of more like 59Mbps, if I'm reading that correctly. I guess I'm about 500m from the cabinet, so that would make sense.

Any comments?

Cheers, Beanz

Broadband info 080619.jpg

0 Likes

Message 58 of 84

Beanz... just a guess... but I would guess that BTOR have passed the "fault" back to TT as "no fault" since you are probably getting more than the BTOR "passback" speed( ie the minimum guaranteed speed). It is perhaps the case that the TT promised speed was based on upgrade work that was due on your street box... that has not yet happened.

0 Likes

Message 59 of 84

Update:

Today I got a text message from TT saying that my service issue has now been resolved and everything should be running as I expect.

However, when I checked, the d/l sync speed is unchanged at about 44Mbps. Switched off the router for 30mins and it's still the same.

Was the text message correct? Doesn't seem to be any different.😕

Regards, Beanz

0 Likes

Message 60 of 84

Hi Beanz

We should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂