FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Boost

larrywilkie
Whizz Kid
Message 148 of 148

Good afternoon,

I have purchased the Fibre Speed Boost (about three weeks ago), but I haven't seen any improvement in my download speed.

Speed tests consistently return download speeds of around 38mbps, which is what I was getting prior to the boost being added, although I believe I was told I could get up to 72mbps (I do understand that this is a maximum figure and unlikely to be achieved).

Is there anything that can be done to see if I can achieve higher speeds than 38mbps, as if it is not possible, then the boost isn't worth keeping.

Many thanks

Larry 

0 Likes
147 REPLIES 147

Message 1 of 148

Hi Larry,

Thanks for letting us know and I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased with the new cable.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 148

Hello all!!,

Well I've just purchased a long cable that will run from my router directly to the PC, and run six speed tests. 

First 3 were on the existing set up with PLA's connected to the router and my desktop. 

Results on download speeds were 33.1, 32.5, 32.4. Upload 7.7,8.2,7.7

I then plugged the new cable from the router directly to the PC and the results were 56.9,55.7 and 57.0, with uploads of 14.7 each time.

It would therefore appear, as suggested, that I am not going to get an improvement when using the PLA's.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 3 of 148

Hi Larry

TalkTalk engineers can usually fit extension sockets but only openreach can relocate the master socket as it often involves moving the external line from where it enters the property.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 4 of 148

Hi Karl,

Thank you for this.

I had read on another thread that some Talk Talk Engineers were now allowed and qualified to do this

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Move-master-socket/m-p/2314090#M730470

But then reading on I think it was referred back to OpenReach, so maybe that's not the case?

Larry

0 Likes

Message 5 of 148

Hi

BT Openreach can move or relocate a master socket but will charge £128 to do this.

I've routed ethernet cables and sockets in my house, including upstairs so Powerline Adapters are not needed.  Cost me about £40 for a reel of ethernet cable.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 148

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the update.

Just a question, or possible alternative. 

I've been reading on here from other posters about moving the master socket and wondered if this was an option?

My master socket at the moment is in another room, on the same floor, but about 40 feet away from where the PC is, and therefore my only option is to use PLA's to connect.

If the master socket were in the same room, and I could connect the PC directly into the router, this might well solve the issue?

Other items such as SMART TV currently work fine on the PLA's, so these could still be used if this is a workable alternative?

Regards

Larry

0 Likes

Message 7 of 148

Hi

If new Powerline Adapters have been tested and these have also been tested in different locations in the home and the speeds remain consistent in each location then the speeds may not be improved further.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 8 of 148

Hi Karl, 

thank you.

I am in work until early evening today so will test when I get home.

if these are still consistent I assume this effectively means that these speeds are the best I’m going to get?

Regards

Larry

0 Likes

Message 9 of 148

Hi

The speeds are consistent with each other.  A true speed measurement direct to the router with a cable shows the speed delivered to the router. When using Powerline Adapters, based on their location, the internal wiring of the house, wiring age / resistance, earth issues, the speeds over the adapters cannot be fully guaranteed but we do suggest to try other plug sockets to see if this improves the speeds at all.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 10 of 148

Hi Chris,

Managed to do a check upstairs tonight. This was done on my sons X Box, connected to a Powerline Adapter. Not sure if this is going to help!!

Download speeds upstairs were slightly faster, but upload speeds slower.

All tests were run within five or six minutes of each other, the first two upstairs on the X Box. Download speeds were 38.7 then 38.4. Upload on both was about 10.5.

The next two were downstairs on the PC, again connected via PLA. Download speeds were 34.3 and 33.0. Upload 14.7 and 14.6

Regards

Larry

0 Likes

Message 11 of 148

OK thanks, please let us know how you get on when you're able to check the speed upstairs

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 148

Hi Chris,

You will see that I ran various speed tests over the weekend with speeds between 18 and around 30.

I haven’t yet been able to check the speed upstairs. Still trying to get hold of a laptop or similar to run speed test on.

Regards

Larry

0 Likes

Message 13 of 148

Hi larrywilkie,

How are you getting on, how has it been over the weekend?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 148

Good morning,

Still not been able to get a laptop to try out upstairs yet, but even more confused this morning!!

I have run several speed tests today, and I am now averaging less than 20mbps, so even worse than before.

I have looked at my router dashboard, and it says the speed into the router is 62.2. 

It also shows that I have six devices connected, although I have unplugged the PLA upstairs. So I have my router plugged into a PLA downstairs and also the Wi Fi Extender, I then have the desktop PC and the TV plugged into PLA's downstairs, so not sure where the other devices are.

Having said that, it also shows that there is nothing connected via Wi Fi, even though my phone is currently connected.

Very confused!!

Larry

0 Likes

Message 15 of 148

Hi larrywilkie,

Ok, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 148

Will do.

Thanks Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 148

Hi Chris,

I won't be able to do that today.

I have to borrow a laptop to do that.

I'll do it as soon as I can and report back on here.

I still don't have anything plugged in upstairs at the moment though.

I have the desktop PC and the TV on PLA's now and speed tests I've just run are about 27mbps.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 18 of 148

No problem, the choice is yours, let me know later if you decide to want my help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 19 of 148

I'll leave you in Keith's capable hands regarding the wifi performance but going back to the Ethernet performance is there any possibility that you could maybe test on a different floor of your home, on a different ring-main, just to see if there's potentially interference on the current ring main

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 148

Hi Keith.

Thank you.

It would be interesting to run the analyser tests, although with the improvement this morning, I get pretty good Wi Fi anywhere in the house and garden now.

Larry

0 Likes