FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband upgrade

Jparini61
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

I've been sent a new router so I can be upgraded to fibre broadband.  I didn't get an option, I was emailed and then it arrived. I'm happy with my router and current broadband and don't want to change it but now I have lost my connection as talk talk are trying to upgrade to my old router. The email stated if the upgrade was unsuccessful I would keep my original package but how do I get it back? Technical help have been useless, I spent an hour on the phone and they didn't seem to understand my problem. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 1 of 8

@Jparini61, as @AllyM and @martswain have said, your line will have been upgraded now, so the only way you will get online is by connecting a router that supports fibre (i.e. the new one that TalkTalk have sent you). 

You not connecting the new router won't cause the upgrade to 'fail', the only way the upgrade could fail is if the Openreach engineer could not complete the work in the street cabinet to move you over to Fibre, but that fact that you have lost your connection goes some way to proving that he has been able to complete that work successfully already.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

@Jparini61 wrote:

AllyM - TT are trying to upgrade to Fibre at the moment but I still have my old router connected, hence rhe loss of connection.  

@Jparini61 , As @martswain says, they are not "trying" to carry out the upgrade, they have completed it. An Openreach engineer will have disconnected your line at the PCP cabinet from the wiring going back to the exchange and connected it across to the Fibre cabinet to provide the service that way, that's why you are getting no service with your old router.

@Jparini61 wrote:

Their email said I could remain on my current package if the upgrade wasn't successful 

I don't think there is any way realistically that you are going to get them to reverse it now. The mention of remaining on your current package would have been a contingency plan for the unlikely event that they ran into problems with the line, not because you stubbornly refuse to connect a VDSL capable router to connect to the service.

@Jparini61 wrote:

Everything works fine now, why mess with it. 

I completely understand that you were perfectly happy with your old ADSL service, but unfortunately the world moves on. TalkTalk (and I would imagine most other ISPs) are trying to get everyone off ADSL as the technology is becoming obsolete and too expensive for them to maintain for the relatively few customers still using the service.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 3 of 8

@Jparini61 if the old router is still in situ and it has lost connection, then the upgrade externally will already have taken place.

It has not failed, it has happened.

As I and others have said previously, it is IMPOSSIBLE for older routers to be made compatible with a fibre service, that is why they have sent you a replacement.

You need to connect the new router to get back online.

Jparini61
First Timer
Message 4 of 8

AllyM - TT are trying to upgrade to Fibre at the moment but I still have my old router connected, hence rhe loss of connection.  Their email said I could remain on my current package if the upgrade wasn't successful which it won't be, but I can't stop TT trying to carry out the upgrade and that is what I want to do. Everything works fine now, why mess with it. 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 5 of 8

@Jparini61  no older routers can be upgraded to work with fibre, it is not possible.

You'll have to bite the bullet and install the new router TT have sent you to get your service back.

0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 6 of 8

@Jparini61 wrote:

I have lost my connection as talk talk are trying to upgrade to my old router. 

I don't understand what you mean by that bit. If your old router's hardware is not capable of connecting to a VDSL signal for Fibre (FTTC) then there's no way to upgrade it. That's why they've sent you a new router for the "fibre" service as @Skynet_TX has explained. Have you actually connected the new router to see if it works?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Jparini61,

TalkTalk are automatically upgrading some customers that are on the old slower ADSL service over to Fibre (at no extra cost), so if you are on the ADSL package, and you have one of the older routers that does not support fibre, then that is why they would send you a new router and you would have to use it once you had been upgraded, as your old router would not be able to connect to the Fibre service.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes