cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre connection keeps dropping/crackiling line.

9 REPLIES 9
stevebrum74
Whizz Kid

Hi, i dont use my landline telephone unless someone is calling me, but recently ive noticed my fibre connection dropping out at all hours.

Tried to use the phone, and there were crackles/echos/whistles on the line.

However these are intermittent, and the fibre drops when the noise is ''loud''.

Tried plugging in to the test socket, and still keeps happening. Chaneged telephone, yep still happening. Ive had the same problem before when i was a sky subscriber, its something to do with a fault at the exchange and or the connection on the telephone pole to my house.

Here are my router stats:

Line State:Modulation:Annex Mode:DSL (Sync) Uptime:
up
ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)
ANNEX_B
1d:10h:46m:36s
  UpLink / DownLinkSNR Margin:Line Attenuation:Output Power:Data Rate:ES:SES:UAS:FEC:CRC:
6.0 dB / 5.7 dB
0.1 dB / 9.6 dB
4.4 dbm / 4.2 dbm
13004 kbps / 62565 kbps
14 / 47
0 / 8
90 / 90
2402 / 13702260
52 / 11956
OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi stevebrum74

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Is the noise still present if you test with a different handset (corded handset) at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

stevebrum74
Whizz Kid

Yes its still there. The noise isnt continuous though. Sometimes its there and other times not. Its intermittent. This has been happening now over a week. When my router drops the connection to the internet, i can pick up the phone and hear boops/whistles/crackles/echo's.
Then after about 10/15 seconds the noises stop, and my router re-connects.

Also my router sync has dropped from 68 to 62MBs..

OCE_Debbie

Hi stevebrum74

Next time you do experience noise on the line please can you remove the router from the line and check if the noise is still present?

I can then raise this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

stevebrum74
Whizz Kid
Hi, it hasnt dropped yet, so will keep an eye on it. Best to keep this thread open.
That okay?

Thanks
OCE_Michelle

Hi stevebrum74,

Yes sure, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

stevebrum74
Whizz Kid

Bad news, connection dropped completely yesterday for almost an hour. Unplugged router, tried to use phone, connection was dead, smooth silence, swapped phone for router only. Nope not a peep. Red light for over 50 minutes. As soon as router made a connection i tried the phone again, i had a dial tone, with boops crackles and whistles.

My router is reporting massive amounts of foward error corrections too! Also signal level drops.

Latest stats done just five minutes ago.

• IPv4
  •   /  
  • DSL
Line State:Modulation:Annex Mode:DSL (Sync) Uptime:
up
ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)
ANNEX_B
9d:12h:31m:50s
  UpLink / DownLinkSNR Margin:Line Attenuation:Output Power:Data Rate:ES:SES:UAS:FEC:CRC:
6.0 dB / 4.9 dB
0.1 dB / 9.6 dB
4.4 dbm / 4.2 dbm
13004 kbps / 62565 kbps
49 / 4706
0 / 869
90 / 90
4369 / 202688019
89 / 1805197
OCE_Karl

Hi

I do see the drops from yesterday, and this looks to have improved today.  Fibre tests and copper line tests are currently clear with no errors, has the line remained stable after the connection returned.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

stevebrum74
Whizz Kid

Connection hasnt dropped today. (Yet) 

Watching router stats though. SNR margin for downlink is bouncing all over the place. It hits 5.5db then drops to 3.1db.

Telephone sounds normal.

OCE_Karl

Hi

Ok, keep monitoring an let us know if a drop occurs or the noise on the line returns.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE