FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre dropping sync several times a day

Luke5
Whizz Kid
Message 64 of 64

Hi all,

Wow I'm dusting off the cobwebs coming back to this forum!

I've just moved out the parents and transferred ownership of my previous account to my mother. I then picked up a new fibre package with Talktalk and the go Live was 7th May.

I have not long finished the 14 day stabilisation period.

Since we went live the connection has been dropping several times aday at various speeds, hitting 80mb D / 20mb Up a few times as well which is the maximum speed.

I'm assuming DLM is 'hard at work' trying to find the most stable connection during this period so obviously I wasn't fussed and DID NOT restart the router at any point.

Unfortunately I'm a few days past the stabilising period and the connection is still dropping throughout the day. For some reason its quite frequent around 1-2pm and then again around 6-7pm.

I'm an FTTC customer and my apartments were built in the last 10 years. My line attenuation should be very good, considering I'm in the city centre almost and I'm not far away from the exchange at all.

I can post various screenshots I took of the sync speeds on different dates but I'm assuming Talktalk are able to read the router logs a little better than how they're presented on the router page. (i.e the amount of drops and when)

I was concerned that DLM would effectively shrink the speed drastically given the daily drop-outs and even when it synced as low as 30mb, a few drops later it strangely went back up to 80D/20U. It held for around 2 days (screens below of the router stats at the time) and then went back to random speeds below 60mb again.

Using the latest Talktalk router plugged into the BT mastersocket Mk3.

At my previous address I didn't have any issues and used powerlines to connect our PCs.

Although I doubt the powerlines are causing an issue I have temporarily removed them as of today (25.05) and we're using ethernet cables directly to the PCs across the carpet... not pretty, but I just need to rule these out 😉

Let me know if you need any further information.
Profile is updated.

A few stats:

Serial Number	N7190294N008301
Hardware Version	FAST5364 3.00
Software Version	SG4K10002600t
GUI Version	3.7.5
System Up Time	06h41m08s

Line 1
Status	UP
Connection Time	06h31m34s
Link Status	UP
Standard	VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
Line Encoding	DMT
Link Encapsulation	ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
Line 1
Downstream	Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps]	61011	11821
Maximum Rate [Kbps]	59863	11821
Noise Margin [dB]	12.00	8.00
Attenuation [dB]	15.10	0.00
Power [dBm]	12.90	2.00

No idea how it manages to get better speeds than the 'maximum' rate sometimes. Bug?

it has always resync'd at various speeds.

See attached images I've taken over the last 2 weeks.

Stats when at max speeds.Stats when at max speeds.stable for 2 days before dropping.stable for 2 days before dropping.Lowspeed.jpglowspeed2.jpglowspeed3.jpg

Thanks folks.

0 Likes
63 REPLIES 63

Message 1 of 64

Hi Luke5

Thanks for keeping us updated, hopefully the work completed by the engineer has fully resolved this fault 🙂

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 64
Hi Debbie
Yes the BT engineer showed up on Monday afternoon.
He was able to access the DP & replaced the cabling in there.
He also went to the cabinet and stated although our line was bundled in with other customers as per standard practice, there was quite a bit of 'crosstalk' and interference.
he has put us on a new line & activated it in the cabinet so we're effectively isolated from other customers (yay ;))

It has been connected for 2 1/2 days so far... there's still time for those naughty drop outs to surface but touch wood that this has finally solved it. I'll be back in a week or so to report a stable connection hopefully 🙂

Thanks.

Message 3 of 64

Hi Luke5

Openreach have advised that this fault should now be resolved following work completed - A Lift and Shift.

Are you still experiencing this fault?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 64

Hi Luke5

I've requested an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 64

Hi Luke5

This fault is back with Openreach. The engineer may just turn up rather than come back to us to book a site visit.

I will monitor this fault ticket for further updates.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 64

Hi Luke5

Thank you. I have advised our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 64
Yes there is access to the room.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 64

Hi Luke5

This fault will be passed back to Openreach. The engineer will need to go to site again and need access to this DP.

The engineer may just turn up rather than come back to us to book a site visit and so we just need confirmation before we raise this out if you have access now on demand to the DP? (utility room)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 64

Hi Luke5

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've contacted our Network Team in regards to this and I will post back on this thread shortly.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 64
Hi folks.
No BT engineer showed up today.
It's getting a little frustrating.
0 Likes

Message 11 of 64
Karl
Thanks for letting me know. Thankfully my other half is in today. I gave availability on Monday on the basis I could get time off work and obviously with it now only being a few hours notice I can't be there personally.
nevermind ...
I guess they will call me if there's any issues and they have access to the utility room now.
0 Likes

Message 12 of 64

Hi

I'm showing an engineer booking for 11th (today) PM - 1-6pm.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 13 of 64
Hi Debbie, do we have any confirmation on times yet?

connection has slowly built back up to max speeds but it has only been connected 20hrs last time i looked so it still seems to be dropping connection.
0 Likes

Message 14 of 64

Hi Luke5

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 64
Thanks Debbie
I have replied to your PM. Please let me know when they will be pencilled in.
Btw - i have been able to gain access to the utility room with the BT box in for when they arrive.

Many thanks.
0 Likes

Message 16 of 64

Hi Luke5

The notes advise that a further engineer visit is required (utility room as you mentioned)

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 64

Hi Luke5

Thanks for your reply.

I've asked our Network Team for an update and also the engineers notes. I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 64
Hi folks
The BT engineer showed up at 7:30am on friday... slightly frustrating because I was still getting some beauty sleep and again there was no notice of appointment.
alas, I wasn't too fussed because if it fixes the internet then thats fine by me... lol

Anyway, the BT engineer came in and replaced the master socket with the latest gen.
He ran several tests and showed me - it was reporting that the line quality was excellent and nothing was necessarily wrong.
he said the socket replacement has the potential to fix the problem.. otherwise its the internal cabling.
Unfortunately we were unable to get to the distribution point within the building so he could look at the cabling in the apartments utility room.
I phoned our property maintenance and they said they need someone on site before we enter... so if we need to do this, we must arrange a suitable time with BT.

In terms of the connection, it has dropped out a few times over the weekend despite his work, the speed has increased steadily so i'm not sure if this is just DLM...
i have a text from friday @ 16:26 which states 'we need to send an engineer to your home to resolve your service issue, call to book on 0345 172 0050'... i am not sure if this is just a delayed text, can you tell me please or this another visit?

either way the best I can do at this stage is probably give it a few more days to monitor it.

the bizarre thing was his tools were saying it was only pulling in around 67mb yet the router was reporting max speeds at the time. he ran a speed test from the wifi and he managed to achieve higher. BT have some amazing equipment but this was completely baffling.

Thanks.
0 Likes

Message 19 of 64

Hi Luke,

Our network team have logged this back out to Openreach for further investigation. If you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check for updates 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 64

Hi Luke5,

I've passed this on to our network team, if you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes