FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre line below guaranteed minimum and dropping out over the last 2 weeks

John-L
Popular Poster
Message 24 of 24

Hi

I've been on Fibre 65 for about 9 months now and have had no issues with it up until recently.

I'm working from home and am required to be connected to my remote PC as well as doing video calls throughout the day.

My guaranteed minimum speed is 43Mbps and I am normally sitting around the 43-44Mbps speed, which doesn't bother me as it's always been reliable.

Over the last 2 weeks however, I am noticing freezes, dropouts, VPN disconnects and video calls stuttering and reducing to the lowest quality settings throughout the working day. The line speed to the router has dropped below 40Mbps.

Nothing has changed in the house. A TalkTalk TV box, Two wired PCs, one wired games console, one wireless laptop and 2 phones which usually use the wireless. It's rare to have more than a couple of devices on simultaneously. The TV is usually OK in the evening but has suffered buffering on a couple of occasions. I'm more concerned about the work disconnects than the buffering.

The router itself is currently showing Link Rate: 17999/40060 Kbps after a power cycle but recent speed tests over the last 2 weeks have had it as low as 16000/37000 Kbps.

I've done the endless support cycles on the website, speed checks, online tests, reset router etc etc. to no avail.

According to the BT checker, the line should be capable of more even if impacted.

VDSL Range B (Impacted) high=72.6 low=48.3

Also according to this site, the upload speed is near the top of what I should expect and the download speed is below the bottom.

I have the latest talk talk router with latest firmware according to you, although I notice it's copyright 2017 on its management page.  I did not receive a new router when I renewed my contract.

I have the BT pre filtered master socket 

Please can you assist 

John LeFebvre
0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi John

That's brilliant, I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

Thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

Message 2 of 24

A final post on this - my line speed this morning is 
50.55 Mbps Download

18.47 Mbps Upload

I've never seen it in the 50's before and it has been rock solid all week.

Thanks once again Debbie, you have been great!

Kind regards

John

John LeFebvre

Message 3 of 24

Hi John

That's great, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

FYI

Engineer has been out and found issues with the BT box outside the house - wires were oxidised.

This has been refreshed and a DLM reset done - result is an increase from 35Mbps to 47MBps.
I'll monitor again for the next 48 hours or so but looking good so far.

- John

John LeFebvre

Message 5 of 24

Hi John

Thanks for confirming your details.

The engineer visit has been arranged for 15/06 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Hi Debbie, yes please.

I work from home so anytime please.

Thanks

John

John LeFebvre
0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Morning John

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased. Apologies for this.

The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you leave the router connected, without rebooting for a couple of days to allow DLM time to monitor the connection.

We will check the connection stats again on Monday to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed/profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Hi Debbie
New router arrived today and I've just plugged it in, to the test socket, using the supplied cables and filters.

Initial connection: -

Download: 34.18 Mbps

Upload: 17.08 Mbps

I will leave for 24 hours in case it resyncs but it is not looking good 😕

If this does not improve, what do you suggest next?

- John

John LeFebvre
0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Hi John

Apologies for this.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Hi Debbie

I've left it a couple of days to see how it settled.

Speed is now 18767/35056 Kbps

Again my issue is with the dropouts. We were watching TV last night and the internet link just dropped completely.  No Sync, then 2 minutes later it came back online.

I find with my phone that when on WiFi, images do not load on Social Media for Twitter, Facebook etc. but load immediately if I switch WiFi off and use mobile data.

It's really rather unusable at present.  Please send replacement router and I will see if that helps at all.

As an aside, do you have access to work logs for ISPs in the area?  Can you see if anything changed around a month ago, has work been done either at the cabinet or the exchange (AINSDALE)

-John

John LeFebvre
0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi John-L

Thanks for your reply.

Are you happy for me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Hi so although there is nothing marked "test" I googled it and it says the test socket is the socket visible when the facebplate is removed.  So I have done that and connected the router to that socket via a TalkTalk supplied microfilter. The router was powered off in between the switch.

Speed before using test socket: 18481 up / 35056 down

Speed using test socket: 18267 up / 35056 down

Pretty much no difference. Over to you.

John LeFebvre
0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Hi John,

If this socket has a horizontal line across the middle then there should be a test socket behind the faceplate. If there is no test socket then I think we should send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out and to see how the speed compares.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

I replied via email.  Looks like those don't autopost here - may be helpful if that is stated on the email received?

Anyway, as stated in the original post I have the Openreach Mk2 socket. This has the modem port vertically above the phone port - the FTTC socket according to your linked site.

I don't have a spare modem/router from you as I never received one when I renewed my contract.  I have a Sagemcom one from my previous supplier PlusNet.  If you email me the settings for the Sagemcom I can see if I can get those changed on the router.  If you can't send me them or don't think that will work, then please send me a new router to test.

I still want an answer to what you are intending to do about my speed being below your guaranteed minimum for the month of May.

Thanks

John

John LeFebvre
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 24

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, does the main socket look like any of the below? Do you also have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Your guide to main phone sockets

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

This has settled on an even slower speed of 

17980/35056 Kbps

Obviously I am not happy with this state of affairs. Please let me know what your next steps are.

I will be looking to get future bills at the lower rate for the slower fibre service as this is what I have been receiving this last month.

John

John LeFebvre
0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi, no test socket under the faceplate. It's the openreach MK2 type with the RJ11 above the phone socket. 

I've unplugged the phones and powered the router off and on again, but same speed of 18 up and 40 down.

As this is below guaranteed minimum and has only happened this month, what are your suggested next steps please?

Thanks, John

John LeFebvre
0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Hi John,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped. Does your socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket for 48hrs so we can see if DLM increases the sync speed again?

Thanks

0 Likes