FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed dropping at peak times

fuzeweb
Team Player
Message 39 of 39

I've noticed for the past couple of days that my Fibre 65 download speed is dropping at peak times.

My testing device is connected directly via ethernet. Router has been restarted, I've segregated the device so there's nothing else (either via WiFi or ethernet) that could be affecting it during the tests. I've also changed ethernet cable (not that it should make a difference -- as it's fine outside the evening hours). I live less than a couple of hundred metres from my local exchange.

Based on the fact the upload speed is working fine, and that this only happens during the evening hours, I can assume my download speed is being throttled or oversold (I had no issues with Plusnet who offered the same speeds consistently). I doubt there is a router issue or line issue otherwise it wouldn't be possible to achieve the maximum speeds late in the evening or early in the morning.

I work from home, especially during the evening hours, so I need this issue to be resolved.

Thanks.

Speed.pngsd.png

0 Likes
38 REPLIES 38

Message 1 of 39

Morning,

Just checking in to see if the speeds have remained consistent since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 39

Hello,

I'm really glad to hear this and please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

fuzeweb
Team Player
Message 3 of 39

Hi Michelle,

Finally some good news! 

Last night I ran some tests around a similar time (~20:30) and it has improved drastically. I was able to achieve full download speeds with no slowdown.

I'll do a test each evening this week to make sure it's stable, but if it continues like this then I consider the issue resolved.

I'll post back with an update in a few days to confirm everything continues to work well.

Thanks for your help, and thanks to everyone in the thread who replied.

Message 4 of 39

Morning,

Just checking in to see how the speeds were last night and if you've seen any improvement so far?

Thanks

fuzeweb
Team Player
Message 5 of 39

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the update. I am glad the issue has been found and hopefully it's fixed very soon.

Thanks for chasing it up.

Message 6 of 39

Hello,

I'm really sorry again for the delay with updates. Our Team have advised that they have located the issue and are currently working to resolve. They will let me know once its resolved and will post back to confirm.

Thanks

martswain
Philosopher
Message 7 of 39

@Michelle-TalkTalk  and @fuzeweb  as I keep track of all numbers that have called, I can confirm that 0800 955 5544 is actually a genuine TalkTalk number, so the call may not have been a scam.

It belongs to the technical team, they were located in Manchester when they called me during a fault and it is true that they do not allow direct incoming calls, I asked at the time.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 39

Morning,

I'm really sorry about this. I've escalated this further and I will continue to chase this until I hear back.

Just to add, this will be a scam call as we will never call and ask you to provide any bank details or personal information.

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 9 of 39

For some reason Talktalk have quietly dropped the voice recognition, "with Talktalk my voice is my password"... I did query how secure that was.

Then they seem to have assumed we all knew that we should set up a telephone enquiry password, but they forgot to tell us, so you only find out that it's necessary when you need help.

So that leaves them with the usual routine of personal information details etc - I agree, @fuzeweb, that you can't be too careful. 

I'd stick to forum staff for help, as they are already on your case. Much safer!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

bigkenny
Problem Solver
Message 10 of 39

I think your right fuzeweb I too would not be to keen to give bank details seeing they rang you! There must be another way, other question they can ask without giving bank details/account number stuff

0 Likes

fuzeweb
Team Player
Message 11 of 39

You think this is normal?

• Call the customer on the telephone number listed on their account.
  • Ask them to verify themselves by providing bank details despite initiating the call.
  • Provide no verification or callback opportunity so the customer can trust who you are.

You must be having an absolute laugh.

No offence, but TalkTalk had customer data hacked and stolen three times in a single year; you could hopefully understand why it's fairly normal to be apprehensive of someone who calls me and asks to 'verify' me using my bank account details.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 12 of 39

Perfectly normal questions if you don't have a telephone enquiry password set up on your account.

You've missed an opportunity there.

0 Likes

fuzeweb
Team Player
Message 13 of 39

Just to bump the thread up.

Measured just now at 20:41. 5Mbps download!

For reference at 11:23 this morning I had 57Mbps download speed.

I also had a phone call at 15:22 today from 0800 955 5544 claiming to be TalkTalk who knew my name, said I had a recent issue... but wanted to verify my email address and last 4 digits of my bank account number to proceed?! Said it was impossible to provide a callback number when I mentioned I'd prefer to call back first. If it's not TalkTalk, how do they know I have TalkTalk service and that I have an issue and secondly, if it is TalkTalk, why are they asking for details about my bank account and how much I pay per month? Unbelievable! Needless to say, I didn't furnish those details.

Googling the number provides no consensus on whether it's a legitimate TalkTalk number, or whether it's spoofed.

Shocking. Absolute shambles. Is this yet another data breach/hack on TalkTalk's systems, or is it a very strange customer service practice to ask for bank account numbers when I'm the receiver of the call?

2041-0111.png

0 Likes

Message 14 of 39

Morning,

I'm really sorry for the delay. I've chased this now and I'm hoping to hear back ASAP.

Thanks

0 Likes

fuzeweb
Team Player
Message 15 of 39

Checking in to bump the thread with another evening of farcical speeds on a provider clearly suffering severe contention at peak times.

I'd love to be put out of my misery so I can go to another provider but unfortunately must suffer until someone, somewhere does some 'investigating' as to how this could possibly be happening (despite it being well publicized by similar complaints).

My sarcasm isn't targeted at any of the customer team which post here as I know they're doing their best and are simply held to ransom based on what some mystery back office staff are doing in the background.

But I do look forward to a resolution soon, or to be released from my contract.

2043-3110.png

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 16 of 39

@fuzeweb, staff won't be back on here before Monday. 

0 Likes

fuzeweb
Team Player
Message 17 of 39

Another evening with high ping and slow downloads speeds, 10 days since I first reported the issue.

Nobody from the network team has contacted me. Very poor indeed!

2056 30-10.png

0 Likes

Message 18 of 39

Hi

The network Team emailed last night to advise they are still investigating this issue.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

fuzeweb
Team Player
Message 19 of 39

Morning, are there any updates? Surely the network team can provide an update after 3 days.

I replaced the router yesterday at my own expense to rule it out as a culprit.

This morning, my download speeds are fine (~60mbps - as normal), but last night (at peak usage times) were in the single digits again. So it rules out any issues with the router, the cables, the phone line itself, or my internal network setup. I believe the simplest solution would be for TalkTalk to contact Openreach to ensure the contention ratio is improved significantly as that's the obvious red flag.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 20 of 39

You need to give them 30 days to sort out this sort of issue, before waiving early termination fees can be considered. 

Please check the Ts&Cs, linked at the foot of any TT page, for details of responsibilities to residential customers. 

0 Likes