FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed halved (16Mb/s to 9Mb/s)

sam-cross
Team Player
Message 14 of 14

Long time no see... same old problems though.

To preface, I've installed a new router and bridged an older model of TalkTalk router (HG633 which can handle the bandwidth) as a modem. The new router, for reference, is a MikroTik hAP AC Lite.

When installed 12 days ago, I tested it thoroughly with speedtests and ping/jitter tests. Same results as before the install, perfect, so I set up some traffic queues which drastically improved the connection stability (typically, the connection would start dropping when upload bandwidth was saturated).

Today, I get home, and I can barely watch a YouTube video. So I do what any sane person would do, disable the queues and test again. And then again. And once more to be sure. The results? Really, really poor. Our "fibre" is slow anyway but this takes the cake:

- 9.0 Mbps 24ms down | 990 Kbps 2.7s up

- 7.9 Mbps 26ms down | 1.2Mbps 1.9s up

- 7.1 Mbps 15ms down | 910 Kbps 2.1s up

Keep in mind these results are with my traffic queues disabled and no other limiting factors on the connection, at all. Also done on Ethernet directly to the router, of course.

Usually, our connection peaks at 16 Mbps and settles around 14 Mbps download, and ~3 Mbps upload. This speed is obviously not anywhere close to that.

The worst part is I start a new job on Monday and I'll be working from home 5 days a week. It's an IT job, which means remote desktop, which means I need a stable connection at the very least. If I can't watch YouTube on this broadband connection, I sure won't be able to work.

My question is if there are any oddities on our line stats (phone number is on the account but I'm not the bill payer), such as disconnections, issues with the line, etc.? I wish there were a way to look at the raw line stats myself but there isn't.

Thanks

Edit: Line stats from HG633:

Screenshot 2021-10-14 101235.jpg

Here to help (and moan). | If you found me helpful, please click the Like button!
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Morning,

Thanks for the update. How has the connection/speed been over the weekend?

Thanks

0 Likes

sam-cross
Team Player
Message 2 of 14

Hello again

So, this morning I plugged the old TalkTalk WiFi Hub back in and ran a couple more speedtests, the results of which were ~3Mbps and ~610Kbps. So...worse.

We were out most of the day so I removed that and plugged my kit back in, but left my modem switched off.

We just got back a few minutes ago and turned it back on. Ran a speedtest, which resulted in 13Mb/s.

Looks like the problem may have been related to DLM as that resets every 15 mins. Definitely something I need to read more about, because it's very interesting!

Anyway, for now this is solved, but I'm still peeved that we were told our average speed would be 35Mbps and we only get 19Mbps line rate.

Here to help (and moan). | If you found me helpful, please click the Like button!
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

No problem Sam, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

sam-cross
Team Player
Message 4 of 14

Hi Chris,

That's really annoying - it'd be nice to see a history of the issue so I could get an idea of when it started happening. I ought to run smokepings...

Anyway, we had some drains blocked along our road a week ago, which caused some flooding. Nothing got in the house, but I wonder if that may be related. I need to find out where our cabinet is located - if I remember correctly it's at least 1km away.

Today's connection, specifically in the last 4-5 hours, has been absolutely diabolical. It's taking over a minute to load up pages on this forum, loading up any images on Amazon brings everything else to a standstill, and YouTube in 720p buffers every few seconds! There's no way I can work on this.

I'll keep digging. Next step, I suppose, will be switching back to the TT router and running a speedtest on that. I imagine it'll have the same result, though.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Sam

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi sam-cross,

Yes Openreach generally do charge if they don't find a fault - please see - Engineers charges

Unfortunately the line test just shows 'Regular Interference Observed Daily', it doesn't give any further information

Chris

0 Likes

sam-cross
Team Player
Message 6 of 14

Openreach charge for visits if they don't find a fault, don't they?

Would it be possible for you to tell me the date/time the interference started to occur, so I can try to match it up with events? If you've got a list of the statistics over time, that would be even more helpful. And is there a way for me to check this myself in the future?

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Sam

We can request an Openreach engineer visit but if the sync speed is still within range for your line then this may not increase any further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

sam-cross
Team Player
Message 8 of 14

It's quite an old property so there's no test socket. The only socket in the house is a 2/2A with no extension.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Sam

Thanks for your reply.

The line test hasn't detected any line faults it has only detected the interference but doesn't specify the exact location.

Is the router at the test socket or at the faceplate at the moment?

0 Likes

sam-cross
Team Player
Message 10 of 14

Hi Debbie,

No, the router's in exactly the same place it was before. Nothing new to cause any interference.

We only have the one phone socket, which the router's plugged into, and yes it's using a microfilter.

I assume the interference could be located anywhere between the cabinet and the property? We're quite a ways from the cabinet and exchange but haven't seen speeds this low since we came off ADSL2! Any way to localise the root of the interference?

Many thanks,

Sam

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi sam-cross

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the line is in sync at 13.9mb and the line test is detecting regular Interference observed daily.

Is the router located near to any devices that may cause any interference. Are all sockets using a microfilter?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

sam-cross
Team Player
Message 12 of 14

Hi Michelle,

The speed has only dropped in the last few days. I set up my MikroTik router 12 days ago and ran speedtests on the same day. Those speedtests resulted in the same speeds as the TalkTalk router we were using before it (the huge Hub thing).

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 14

Hello,

Apologies for the confusion, can I  just confirm, do you mean that the speed dropped after setting up the new router set up?

Thanks

0 Likes