24-07-2021 12:59 PM - edited 24-07-2021 01:22 PM
Hello, I have a fibre 65 package and TalkTalk's estimated bandwidth on this package is 40-49Mbps downstream. We previously saw an actual bandwidth of about 50Mbps when using a broadband speed test. Now however we are only getting <35Mbps
We've tried two routers recently, one has shown a max DSL rate of 70Mbps and the other showed a max rate of 50Mbps. On both routers however the actual DSL rate was 35Mbps which is less than we're paying for, less than TalkTalk's estimate and guaranteed speed of 39Mbps.
Why would this be?
Has it been capped by TalkTalk?
We are currently using a Huawei DG8041W router provided by TalkTalk and have tried resolving this via your chat service with a TT representative without any success (questioning just seemed to go around in circles) - really hoping that you can help resolve this here please.
on 30-07-2021 09:41 AM
on 30-07-2021 09:28 AM
Can you confirm that there would be no charge for the TT Engineer's visit (or indeed for the original Openreach engineer visit) as neither is down to any problem of our making.
on 30-07-2021 09:22 AM
Hi Guitar Man
Unfortunately the Openreach engineer will only guarantee a working connection up to the test socket, they don't complete any work on internal wiring (only isolating internal wiring)
I can arrange a TT engineer visit to take a look at the extension wiring, would you like me to arrange this?
on 30-07-2021 08:57 AM
The Openreach engineer ran various tests when he first arrived & the cause of the slow fibre problem was put down to the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system having reduced the speed to stabilise the connection following various dropouts which had happened over the past few weeks with our old router. TT supplied a new router (Black Hub) about 10 days which we had since put in & this had sorted the dropouts. The engineer reset the DLM to restore the speed.
Prior to the engineer visit, TalkTalk had run several line tests all of which showed a possible fault. The last line test you ran was with this new router & phone being plugged into a microfilter in the Master Test socket which also showed the same possible problem thereby eliminating the possibility of internal wiring being a possible cause and suggesting the problem was outside of our property which is what it turned out to be (DLM reset being needed as mentioned above).
Whilst here, the engineer mentioned that the existing NTE faceplate was an older version so he would update it to the latest one but nothing was said about it being fitted to enable isolation of internal wiring. From the previous comments above, it is evident that there was no problem being caused by any of the internal wiring of extension sockets so I do not understand why this was done.
Currently neither of our extensions are now working (through no fault of our own) and we just have 1 phone plugged directly into the new NTE socket.
Ideally I would like the engineer to come back & fix this (with no charge for either the original visit or his return one) otherwise I am left with having to buy new cordless phones to replace the non working extensions.
Look forward to hearing from you soon.
on 30-07-2021 07:30 AM
29-07-2021 03:46 PM - edited 29-07-2021 04:44 PM
No the extension sockets were not causing the original problem with the internet connection. It was the Dynamic Line Management that required reseting due to previous drop outs with the old router as mentioned earlier - the wiring was all good.
on 29-07-2021 03:20 PM
on 29-07-2021 01:36 PM
29-07-2021 10:55 AM - edited 29-07-2021 11:34 AM
Openreach Engineer has just been. Wiring/line tests etc all good.
He reset the sync speed (which had likely been reduced by Dynamic Line Management) due to previous drop outs with the old router and the sync speed at the router has now increased from 35Mbs to 52Mbs.
He also took the opportunity to fit the latest VDSL faceplate to the master socket and has now left however we have just noticed that following this change, our extension phones are no longer working - can you log this please so that an Openreach Engineer can come back to sort this (& confirm that there is no charge as not any fault on our part).
on 28-07-2021 10:45 AM
on 28-07-2021 07:29 AM
27-07-2021 02:37 PM - edited 27-07-2021 02:38 PM
You should see a number near your avatar, but next to an envelope that you need to click on, so in your community profile area, @Guitar Man.
on 27-07-2021 02:27 PM
I'll send you a PM to confirm some details to allow us to progress to an engineer.
Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.
WEAR A MASK - WASH YOUR HANDS - SOCIAL DISTANCE
on 27-07-2021 01:53 PM
on 27-07-2021 01:39 PM
I'm not certain if the microfilter that we used in the Master Test socket was OK.
I have just put a different one in to be sure.
Can you please run the test again & let me know the outcome.