FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre sync speed to router less than guaranteed speed promised

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 33 of 33

Hello, I have a fibre 65 package and TalkTalk's estimated bandwidth on this package is 40-49Mbps downstream. We previously saw an actual bandwidth of about 50Mbps when using a broadband speed test. Now however we are only getting <35Mbps

We've tried two routers recently, one has shown a max DSL rate of 70Mbps and the other showed a max rate of 50Mbps. On both routers however the actual DSL rate was 35Mbps which is less than we're paying for, less than TalkTalk's estimate and guaranteed speed of 39Mbps.

Why would this be?

Has it been capped by TalkTalk?

We are currently using a Huawei DG8041W router provided by TalkTalk and have tried resolving this via your chat service with a TT representative without any success (questioning just seemed to go around in circles) - really hoping that you can help resolve this here please.

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

Hi Guitar Man

I'm just sending you a Private Message.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 33

Can you confirm that there would be no charge for the TT Engineer's visit (or indeed for the original Openreach engineer visit) as neither is down to any problem of our making.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 33

Hi Guitar Man

Unfortunately the Openreach engineer will only guarantee a working connection up to the test socket, they don't complete any work on internal wiring (only isolating internal wiring)

I can arrange a TT engineer visit to take a look at the extension wiring, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 4 of 33

Hi Debbie,

The Openreach engineer ran various tests when he first arrived & the cause of the slow fibre problem was put down to the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system having reduced the speed to stabilise the connection following various dropouts which had happened over the past few weeks with our old router. TT supplied a new router (Black Hub) about 10 days which we had since put in & this had sorted the dropouts. The engineer reset the DLM to restore the speed.

Prior to the engineer visit, TalkTalk had run several line tests all of which showed a possible fault. The last line test you ran was with this new router & phone being plugged into a microfilter in the Master Test socket which also showed the same possible problem thereby eliminating the possibility of internal wiring being a possible cause and suggesting the problem was outside of our property which is what it turned out to be (DLM reset being needed as mentioned above).

Whilst here, the engineer mentioned that the existing NTE faceplate was an older version so he would update it to the latest one but nothing was said about it being fitted to enable isolation of internal wiring. From the previous comments above, it is evident that there was no problem being caused by any of the internal wiring of extension sockets so I do not understand why this was done. 

Currently neither of our extensions are now working (through no fault of our own) and we just have 1 phone plugged directly into the new NTE socket.

Ideally I would like the engineer to come back & fix this (with no charge for either the original visit or his return one) otherwise I am left with having to buy new cordless phones to replace the non working extensions.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 33

Hi Guitar Man

I've checked and the engineer has left the following notes - NTE not faulty but changed NTE to latest version of NTE to enable isolation of internal wiring

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 6 of 33

No the extension sockets were not causing the original problem with the internet connection. It was the Dynamic Line Management that required reseting due to previous drop outs with the old router as mentioned earlier -  the wiring was all good.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 33

OK thanks, did the engineer mention anything about the extension sockets, about leaving them disconnected in case they are causing interference?

Chris

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 8 of 33

Yes, we have 2 separate extension sockets with phones in and neither now have a dial tone.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 33

Hi Guitar Man,

Thanks for the update, just to confirm, if you connect a telephone to the extension socket is there no dial tone?

Chris

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 10 of 33

Openreach Engineer has just been. Wiring/line tests etc all good.

He reset the sync speed (which had likely been reduced by Dynamic Line Management) due to previous drop outs with the old router and the sync speed at the router has now increased from 35Mbs to 52Mbs.

He also took the opportunity to fit the latest VDSL faceplate to the master socket and has now left however we have just noticed that following this change, our extension phones are no longer working - can you log this please so that an Openreach Engineer can come back to sort this (& confirm that there is no charge as not any fault on our part). 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 33

Hi Guitar Man,

I've booked the appointment for July 29 2021, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 33

Hi Guitar Man,,

Thanks for answering the security questions, I've replied requesting a little more information 

Chris

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 13 of 33

Hi @Karl-TalkTalk - is there any further news regarding possible dates for Engineer visit?

I have completed the requested in the PM that you sent me.

Thanks

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 14 of 33

Thanks @Gliwmaeden2 , I had found it in the meanwhile & replied.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 15 of 33

You should see a number near your avatar, but next to an envelope that you need to click on, so in your community profile area, @Guitar Man.

Top right. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 16 of 33

Thanks Karl,

Where do I access PM's - under Community or bu logging into my TT account?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 33

Hi

I'll send you a PM to confirm some details to allow us to progress to an engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 18 of 33

OK, how di we arrange that then?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 33

Hi,

No problem. I've just run the test again and it's still showing the same fault and recommending we arrange an engineer visit to the property.

Thanks

0 Likes

Guitar Man
Whizz Kid
Message 20 of 33

Hi Michelle,

I'm not certain if the microfilter that we used in the Master Test socket was OK. 

I have just put a different one in to be sure.

Can you please run the test again & let me know the outcome.

Thanks

0 Likes