FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre65: consistently slower than guaranteed minimum

thomasl
Chat Champion
Message 20 of 20

For about two weeks now (perhaps longer) I get broadband speeds of ~38 to ~42Mbps, roughly what I got years ago when I was still on Fibre35. However, I am on Fibre65 since about a year and so far used to get ~55 to 60Mbps. The guaranteed minimum in my Welcome mail is 52.7 Mbps, a rate I have not seen once in the last fortnight.

So please can someone have a look into this and reinstate the leveI of service I was receiving before (or at least the minimum). Thanks.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear that and please let us know if you would like us to look into anything for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Please close this issue. The contract term with TalkTalk ends in around 5 months and I will then either downgrade to Fibre35 (if I get a good offer) or (given my recent experiences with prices rises) leave TT altogether. Thanks for looking into this.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Morning,

Can I just confirm, have you recently tested with a different router? If not then I think we should try this next before we arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Sorry for not getting back earlier. Yes, the router is still there. Hasn't been touched since I moved it.

I seem to remember that earlier (when the rates were much better) the UpLink / DownLink SNR Margins were significantly lower than they are right now. So perhaps something or someone changed the profile on the line?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Sorry for not getting back earlier. Yes, the router is still there and has not been touched since I moved it.

I seem to remember that earlier (when the rates were much better) the UpLink / DownLink SNR Margins were significantly lower than they are right now. So perhaps something or someone changed the profile on the line?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Hello,

I've checked again and the sync speed has dropped. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed has started to increase. We will re-check the connection stats again tomorrow to see if their is any further increase in speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

OK, could you connect you router to the test socket and leave it there for at least 48 hours and we'll see if DLM moves you to a faster profile. If it doesn't or your speeds continue to drop then we can look at sending an engineer to investigate further

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

To my knowledge, yes.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

OK thanks, if the socket has the line across then it should have a test socket. Is this the only socket in your home?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Definitely not. The non-NTE seems to have just a plate and the socket in the middle. My socket has a line separating the top third from the bottom and the actual outlet is lower.

At any rate, I've had this socket and this cabling for ages and I had stable ~55Mbps with that setup for amny months. So I am not sure  this is the culprit.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Is it not the same as the first socket, the non-NTE?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

The closest (though not identical) would be NTE5. The socket was in the wall when we moved in (24 years+)

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi thomasl,

Could you take a look at the following help article and let me know which type of socket you have - Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

No, the BT socket has just one outlet which is what I used for my tests. FWIW I have not changed anything in the cabling to the socket  (that's all behind the wall) and from the socket since probably decades.

Also, the phone works perfectly well, as it ever did.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. Does your main socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone directly at the test socket so we can re-check the connection stats again please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Thanks for looking into this. I have been moving around the router (to check it with the BT socket) so perhaps it was offline. As to my checks, it does not make any difference whether the router is where it normally is whether it's directly connected to the socket. I still get only around 40Mbps.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 20

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Is the router currently switched off?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 19 of 20

Hi @thomasl,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there (via a microfilter), that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem (although you may need to leave the router connected at the test socket for 72+ hours before you would start to see a speed increase if this was the cause of the problem).

The TalkTalk Support Team on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.