FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnections causing speed to drop well below guaranteed speed

mikehvy
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 14

I'm trying to help my sister who has fibre broadband with you. Her broadband has always been unstable in her new build council bungalow. Because of this, over time, her speed has dropped to 15mb, her guaranteed speed is over 30mb. She hasn't been bothered about this until recently when streaming a new 4K service would struggle with this low speed.

Over a month ago I looked into her setup. She has two phone sockets and the router was connected to the extension socket with the house phone. I moved the router  to the master socket (5C with one phone outlet) and hoped that would improve things. It didn't so I used the online chat.and answered all their scripted questions. Nothing came of this, I repeated the online chat with the same result, no help there. Finally on Sunday I tried a new filter and used the test socket. It is still disconnecting. Can you help, I have put her phone line number in the profile.

Router stats from Sunday.

Actual Rate           13094

Maximum Rate      66106

Noise Margin         26.80

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 14

Hello,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how both the stability and speed compares 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

My sister said  the engineer came this morning and has reset the line. It is now back at 40mb down, which is the max speed for her contract. He said the phone was not ringing because the test socket was in use and this prevents the extension socket from working. So there was no voice fault. No mention of any faults found so time will tell with the stability.

I can at least remotely check the connection via the service centre which is very useful for this as my sister is not into checking her router stats etc. I did a remote speed test and the speed was showing 38mb down so all good for now. I will monitor it as is TalkTalk. Thanks for the very quick action.

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 14

Hi mikehvy,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

A further update, yesterday evening I logged onto my sisters account and remotely did another test through the service centre. This time it picked up a fault and a txt message was sent to her mobile for her to arrange an Openreach visit. She did this and Openreach are hopefully coming this morning !.

Something has changed from Sunday so I tried ringing her landline and she had no ringing at her end. She never uses the landline, relies on her mobile so may be there is a voice fault which has been affecting the broadband. I had checked her landline before and it was OK but now it's not working. Anyway hopefully Openreach will turn up this morning.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 14

Hi mikehvy,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14
Yes I do know about how the DLM works and that is why her speed has dropped over time (months) I need to find out the cause of the frequent disconnection. So all is as should be on the set up and will see how things go this week thanks.
0 Likes

Message 7 of 14
Great, let us know how you get on.

In the meantime a OCE may pick this up and provide you with further info if required.

Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!

Message 8 of 14
Yes it is.
0 Likes

Message 9 of 14
Is the hub still connected to the Test socket now?
Steve -
0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

On Sunday I did connect the router to the test socket and there has been a further disconnection early Monday morning so I'm not hopeful it will sort the problem. Maybe a different router may help May be see how things go this week.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

As there is a potential issue in the home that maybe causing the disconnections DLM will detect these and will lower the speed in hope to make the line more stable. Once the issue has been resolved DLM will increase her speed once again aslong as theres no frequent discconections and its stable.

When you visist next I would connect straight to test socket and see if this improves the connection. An OCE may also suggest sending a new Hub to rule that out.

EDIT: Just looking back at your first post and the Noise margin is quite high, Usually as a target should be around 6. This would not aid your sisters speed which is why she is facing a reduction.

Steve -
0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

The router was offline for about 20 mins on Sunday, and the phone is connected to the extension socket not he master socket where the router is.I have been into the account and done the line check which resulted in an issue found but then It says the problem is in the home so cannot progress further. I cannot see any problem with her set up now as I've done all the right things.

All I can do is leave it for a week then check again for stability and if stable try switching off for 30 mins. I live 20 miles from my sister so not straight forward sorting this thanks.

0 Likes

Ste_Nix14
Community Star
Message 13 of 14
From what you have tried already - Have you tried leaving the Hub disconnected for a minimum of 30mins connecting straight to test socket and leaving for a day or 2. This normaly triggers DLM to start increasing speeds (if it can).

If that has been tried has your sister ran a Line check through Service centre to see if it can find any issues on the line?

Does the Hub still disconnect when the phone is disconnected?
Steve -
0 Likes