FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent drop-outs and very noisy line, even at master socket

Yaris Hater
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 15

TalkTalk OCEs please help.

Recently had an Openreach engineer investigate the line and they replaced the faceplate on the master socket, but this has not solved the problem.

I'm experiencing frequent internet disconnects (dropped out twice three times while writing this!) and the line is very noisy on phone calls. A large amount of crackling mixed with a constant background 'shhhhh' sound.

Recording: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EybIoBK80UaO4cjGH_HWd2us_KQVMDLr

These sounds are all from the line and not from moving things close to the microphone - it really is that bad. The standard dial tone goes off at 0:17 so you can hear the noise more clearly.

I have tried disconnecting everything from the line and plugging the phone directly into the master socket and the line was still just as noisy. I have also plugged the router into the master socket and the connection is still intermittent. Two separate pieces of equipment with a similar problem which points at fault with the line.

I am certain there is a problem with the external line as this has always been an issue that reoccurs (see previous posts). I don't see that trying another modem will help at all (been down this route already in the past with no luck). Instead, I would like someone to come out and fix the line properly.

Weather has an effect on it, especially when windy. Possible broken wire intermittently disconnecting?

Thanks

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Thanks for the explanation.

I've been monitoring the speed and noise for the last few days and it seems to be stable now.

Many thanks for your help. Please feel free to close this.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hi Yaris Hater

Thanks for your reply.

We advise to power down the router for 30 minutes (if the throughput speed is low) as this starts a new session so the speed will often increase.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi Debbie

I didn't leave it for 30 minutes just 30seconds to 1 minute to ensure it had completely discharged. What would leaving it 30 minutes do? Does the network change parameters if a connection is not present for a certain duration?

I've retested it (without restarting it) and it's now up to ~35 MB/s. Have you done anything your side that would explain the sudden increase? I've been testing it every day since the engineer fixed the noise problem and it's always showed a max of 18 MB/s

Regards

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hi Yaris Hater

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Can I just check if you have powered down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi Chris

An extremely helpful OpenReach engineer attended on Friday and managed to reduce the line noise substantially. The connection has been very stable since then and the upload speed is much higher than it was with the fault (now ~9Mb/s vs. 0.4 Mb/s). However, the download speed has reduced to less than half. Until recently, I was getting around 37 Mb/s, but now it's a maximum of 18 Mb/s. The modem shows a downstream line rate of 39997 kb/s and a maximum (sync?) downstream rate of 68688 kb/s, so I'm not sure why its peaking at 18 Mb/s. This was tested with multiple devices, both wired and wireless.

I have also tried power cycling the modem twice, leaving a few hours between each cycle. It's been connected for 2 days and 7 hours at the time of writing.

Is there anything you could do to increase this? Profile change?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

I've received an update from our network team, they've logged this to Openreach as a non-appointed task. We should receive an update within 72 hours so if you don't hear anything by Monday can you bump the thread and we'll check for updates

Thanks

Chris

Message 8 of 15

OK thanks, I'm chasing this up with our network team, I'll let you know when I receive an update

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Just bumping the thread as requested.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

OK thanks. I've logged this over to our network team for further investigation. Can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi Chris

It's quieter without the modem connected. Unfortunately, I don't have another VDSL2 modem to try.

However, this doesn't explain the weather having a big effect on the amount of noise and speed.

I've tried another handset and base station, but the results are the same.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi Yaris Hater,

Just a couple of other things. Do you still hear the noise with the router disconnected and just telephone connected to your test socket? Have you or are you able to test with a 2nd handset just to rule out any issues with your current telephone?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

Hi Chris

I can confirm that I have tried the test socket as well which isolated all internal wiring.

Regards

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 15

Hi Yaris Hater,

Sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems with your service

Can you confirm that you've tested at the Test Socket if you have one, if you have then we'll log this over to our network team for further investigation 

Chris

0 Likes