FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent loss of internet connection

davewp
Popular Poster
Message 24 of 24

A few months ago I upgraded to Fibre 150, with an engineer installing a new master socket and an Openreach g. fast modem at the beginning of September. For the first 10 weeks or so everything was pretty good, although the Wifi speed was slightly slower than I'd hoped for. But from the middle of November we began experiencing short dropouts to our internet connection. It has gradually got worse and we now lose connection many times every day, and sometimes two or three times in quick succession. During these dropouts the white router light stays on, but the green DSL and internet lights on the modem go out. They usually come back on after around 4 or 5 minutes and the internet connection returns.

I reported this to TalkTalk, and after my second phone call an Openreach engineer's visit was arranged. He came last Wednesday (8/12/21) and replaced the old wiring coming in to our property. He gave me his mobile number and told me to text him if this didn't fix the problem. He also advised me to request a new router as he felt the slow wifi speed might indicate a fault. He also said he would keep an eye on our line. 

Unfortunately the loss of connection continued as before, so he returned the next day and replaced the modem. He also removed the faceplate of the master socket and connected our lines to the test socket using a microfilter. But again neither of these worked and the problem persisted.

The next morning (Friday) he texted me to say that he'd got a failed test on our line which he thought might be caused by the ports in the green box in the road outside. He said I should report this to talkTalk as he couldn't work on these without a job number. But when I did this I was told that the failed line test hadn't shown up on their system and so they couldn't do anything.

The new router arrived on Saturday, but while possibly delivering slightly faster wifi speeds it hasn't fixed the problem. This isn't surprising, of course, if as the engineer suspects, the problem is in the green box outside.

So the evidence so far suggests that the problem is not being caused by anything in our house (wiring, modem, router or master socket), but possibly by something in the box outside. So I am wondering what to do next if TalkTalk are unwilling to send an engineer.  Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24
0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Thanks, Michelle. Yes, I'll let you know. 🙂

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Yes, that would be fine. Please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hi Michelle,

Openreach did some work on the green roadside box yesterday afternoon, and since this was completed I'm not aware that we have had any losses of connection. So I am cautiously optimistic that our problem may have been solved. I'll keep a close eye on things over the weekend and let you know how it's gone on Monday.

One other thing, I still have both my old router and the new one you sent me last week when we suspected that a fault with my router might have been the cause of the problem. Of course that now appears not to be the case.  What I would like to do, now that I appear to have a stable connection, is test both routers over the weekend to see if there's any difference in how they perform. I'll then return the one which performs less well (if there is any difference) next week. Please could you confirm that this would be okay. Obviously I don't want to be charged for a new router, lol. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Morning,

Thanks for the update and we will check back in with you on Monday morning.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi Karl,

The Openreach engineer has informed me that the cards in the green roadside box are scheduled to be changed today or tomorrow.  It's still unclear whether this will solve our problem, but let's hope it will!  I'll keep you posted.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Hi

OK, let me know if you hear anything.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Hi Karl,

I'm not sure why I wasn't informed that the appointment had been cancelled. I'm pretty certain if I had failed to have been here I would have been charged.

Anyway, I have just contacted the Openreach engineer who visited me last week. He thinks the fault report may have been rejected because there is a task out for the green box. He said he's going to try and see if the cards in the box have been changed yet. 

So I guess I'll wait to hear back from him before arranging anything with you. Hopefully I'll get back to you later today.  

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Hi davewp

I've checked and Openreach rejected the fault report.  I'll need to book this directly with them. What day is best, or asap ?

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Hi Michelle,

This morning's scheduled visit by the Openreach engineer to my home has not happened. I've been here all day and no one has come to my door or tried to communicate with me via phone, email or text.

During the afternoon I did notice an Openreach engineer working in the green box in the road outside, but he certainly did not come to my house. And if by some chance his work was connected with my problem, it doesn't appear to have been successful as my internet has dropped at least three times since he left the area.

This is all very frustrating and disappointing. I'm on Fibre 150 and should be getting the best internet service I've ever had, but instead I'm continuing to get by far the worst. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Hello,

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Okay, thanks Karl

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi

The Engineer tomorrow is an Openreach engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Hi Debbie,

I've just been informed that an engineer's visit has been scheduled for tomorrow morning. But I thought I should just inform you of some very recent developments. There have been some Openreach engineers working on the green box in the road outside our house today. Coincidentally one of them is the engineer who visited us last week.  I've just spoken with him and he told me that several properties in our immediate area have been  experiencing similar problems. . He thinks it may be to do with a card in the box.  He said he may have to raise a lums (not sure of spelling) case in order to deal with it. He said he was fairly confident that our problem is related to the issues with the green box, and is not likely to be anything in our property. Is the engineer who is coming tomorrow from Openreach?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Okay, thanks. I've just responded.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hi davewp

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Morning Michelle,

Yes, please. That would be great.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

Morning,

Ok thanks for confirming. If the connection is dropping at the modem and the set up hasn't changed since this was set up by the engineer, then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this and we can confirm some details with you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi Michelle,

I think I replied to you in the wrong place earlier, so I'll copy and paste it here...

(btw, the lastest disconnection happened a few minutes ago.)

Only the lights on the modem change, the white light on the router stays on throughout.

On the modem the DSL and internet lights go off. Usually after around 30 seconds to a minute the DSL light starts flashing, and after another 1 to 4 minutes turns solid.  And then after another 10-20 seconds the internet light comes on and is solid.  At this point the internet connection returns.

This happens on average about once an hour, but can vary greatly. Sometimes it doesn't seem to happen for a couple of hours or more, and then on other occasions it can happen 2 or 3 times in quick succession. 

0 Likes

davewp
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 24

Hi Michelle,

Only the lights on the modem change, the white light on the router stays on throughout.

On the modem the DSL and internet lights go off. Usually after around 30 seconds to a minute the DSL light starts flashing, and after another 1 to 4 minutes turns solid.  And then after another 10-20 seconds the internet light comes on and is solid.  At this point the internet connection returns.

This happens on average about once an hour, but can vary greatly. Sometimes it doesn't seem to happen for a couple of hours or more, and then on other occasions it can happen 2 or 3 times in quick succession. 

0 Likes