FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Fibre 500 (Eero & Sagecom) - SLOW wifi speeds

MattSH1982
First Timer
Message 18 of 18

New customer here; I've struggled with the service since it started a couple of weeks ago. 

In short, my Wifi speeds using both the Eero and Sagecom routers are less than 20% of the connection speed from the ONT, with speeds going as low as 12mbps (yes, i said twelve!)!

This has been tested with multiple devices that are rated well above the WiFi speed, and as close as physically next to the router itself.

• Numerous tests with Eero support and TalkTalk technical in Manchester. I've been through the usual spiel of "reboot this, reset that".
  • The Eero has been removed under the advice of TalkTalk Manchester and the old Sagecomm router plugged in. No change to speeds.
  • TalkTalk Manchester have provided me a new Sagecomm router. No change to speeds.
  • I've tested, retested and tested again using every speedtest website given to me. No change.

So that's 3 routers, numerous calls and hours spend on this.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and is there a resolution? I'm struggling to see how a Wifi router can reduce connection speeds by more than 98% at the extreme, or to 200mbps consistently. Whilst the team in Manchester are empathetic I'm losing the will to spend any more time on this!

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi MattSH1982

Optimisation is off for your router.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 18

Probably you'll have to ring them, if you had ordinary fibre the support people on here could do it.

Yes, I want the screenshots where it is bad, that way hopefully I can see what is causing the problem & help you to get it fixed.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Thanks 

at risk of asking a silly question Keith are you asking me to get readings in areas of the house where the Wi-Fi is particularly poor?

ps how do I disable Wi-Fi optimisation - is this via the Manchester call centre ?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 18

If you can get me a new set of screenshots where it is bad, that might change everything.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Thanks - my hunch is there is an underlying problem with the Wi-Fi; those readings were taken roughly 6ft away from the router so a near 50% drop in Wi-Fi speed seems completely unlikely. Unfortunately I can’t draw talktalk into advising me what is a reasonable transmission speed for Wi-Fi. 

Can anything be concluded from the test results ?

in regard to the eero, the Manchester technical support team told me to stop using it as they’d had reports of problems with Wi-Fi speed, that being said I’m not convinced said team is technically able to diagnose this over the phone and are in fact just grasping at straws a little. 

ps I did a hardwire test from the router to the devices. Im getting a stable 450mbps. This is 1000% a Wi-Fi problem.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 6 of 18

Although your 2.4GHz band is busy with other networks, their signal strengths are weak compared to yours which looks fine. You might be slightly better off on channel 1, but it will be marginal. Your 5GHz band though did break up a little bit at about 16:09.25 in the second graph. If that happens more frequently it will need further investigation.

I see that you are using your Sagemcom here not the eero. You really need to ask TT to disable WiFi optimisation.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Kevin / Keith please find below the pictures - my router has a split SSID so i've done a pic for the Signal Strength and the 2.4/5ghz Networks tabs respectively.

4.JPG3.JPG1.JPG2.JPG

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 18

No sorry I will not disclose my email address, you can create a new PM to me & send them like that, but with this bug affecting the PMs, if I receive another PM, after yours, I will not be able to read your one. I am hopeful it will be fixed soon, TalkTalk are working on that.

Keith

0 Likes

MattSH1982
First Timer
Message 9 of 18

@KeithFrench Got your message Keith

If you're happy to PM me your email address i can send you the test info on there if thats more convenient? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 18

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk 

@MattSH1982 I will PM you now.

Keith

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 18

Hi @KeithFrench,

PM's now enabled for @MattSH1982

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 18

Ah, you do not currently have PMs enabled on your account. I will ask TT to enable them for you.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 13 of 18

Hi @MattSH1982 

From the way I understand it Future Fibre isn't currently supported on here, whilst the staff are trained up on the product.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Keith thanks for responding - could you send me the aforementioned guide please?

Also as an FYI, TalkTalk suggested i contact on this forum about my issue so seems like theres a disconnect between that and the fact that FF isnt supported on here.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 15 of 18

Hi @MattSH1982 

Despite the fact that Future Fibre is not currently supported on this forum, your issues are most likely down to WiFi interference. I do not have access to the Eero, but I have had a lot of experience with both the Sagemcom and the subject of WiFi interference & maybe I can help you. This is obviously not a Sagemcom or Eero issue themselves, but can normally be solved by the configuration of them.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? This is not essential at the moment, as the problem is there with the Eero, but will need to be considered if you use the Wi-Fi from the Sagemcom. This has the facility to overwrite any Wi-Fi changes made to the router’s configuration, which will not help rectify this type of problem. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 18

Hi MattSH1982

I'm really sorry to hear this.

You would need to contact our Future Fibre Team so this can looked into. There should be a Live Chat button at the bottom of the page.

FUTURE FIBRE

Thanks

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Hi @MattSH1982 Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon but please remember that the staff here work office hours. In the meantime please check your community profile and add your landline phone number which is used to identify your account.

Are your experiences the same when testing your wired or is it only WiFi? How were things before TT? 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.