FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Fibre 500 slow

Morgan2101
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

Hello all,

Brand new to TalkTalk (Tempted away from PlusNet) 

I had my FF500 installed last Thursday and was disappointed by the speeds showing up via Fast.com (94Mb/s) and Speedtest (79Mb/s) so I made a quick call to support who diagnosed that I needed a new WifiHub sending out with "the latest update" on it. That arrived Yesterday and.... no difference. 

Whilst the current speeds are more than double my previous FTTC speed from PlusNet (34Mb/s) they are miles away from the epected speed of around 500Mb/s.

I contacted support again today to explain the problem and was told to wait until the service has been live for 14 days to let it "settle down", get back in touch and they will push an update to my router. Now, I understand the need for DLM on FTTC but was under the impression that FTTP does not need any such "settling" Oh, and my router firmware is what I believe to be the latest : SG4K10002816t.

If I plug my PC directly to the Openreach box on the wall my speeds are instantly up to 490Mb/s, so to my eyes, the bottleneck is clearly the WifiHub.

What should/can I do next?

Thanks in advance

Steve.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi

Glad the speeds have returned to normal levels.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Morgan2101
First Timer
Message 2 of 6

Hmmm. Not sure what's changed, because I haven't had chance to try anything until today due to work, but I carried out a number of speed tests and now they show around 480Mb/s.

As I say, not sure what's happened but my speeds are now reasonably close to the maximum.

Thanks to those who offered help, I appreciate all of you.

Oh, shahid76, I am looking at getting one of those Asus routers you mentioned.

0 Likes

Massi
First Timer
Message 3 of 6

Hi Morgan2101

I also got my FF500 installed few weeks ago. Same router same firmware and speeds always on top 525/Mb/s.

Sound like you bottleneck as suggested might be  your wifi congested channels or try a different ethernet cable.

0 Likes

shahid76
Whizz Kid
Message 4 of 6

OP, were those results over wifi? If so, try selecting a manual uncongested wifi channel on the TT router as you might be in a heavily congested wifi environment. Alternatively, if you don't mind spending money, investing in a quality third party router will almost certainly fix your issues. Something like the Asus RT-AC86U router would be perfect.

TalkTalk Business FTTP 900/115
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Morning,

Can I just confirm when the speeds are slow when connected to the TalkTalk router, are you connected wired or wireless to the router? Have you tried powering down the TalkTalk router only for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speed again?

Thanks

0 Likes