FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.fast and powerline interference

jamorama
Participant
Message 37 of 37

Hi,

I recently signed up for Faster 150 Broadband, i.e. G.fast. With my previous broadband provider I'd been using a set of powerline adapters to reach a distant room in my house, but after some experimentation I concluded that the two were likely interfering with each other in this new setup. I've now invested in some mesh WiFi equipment, which works very well.

What concerns me is that my line speed (105mbps) is considerably lower than my estimated speed (120-160mbps). I'm still in my stabilisation period, but am worried that interference from the powerline adapters has led to some overly cautious calibration of my line. Is this possible or likely, and is there anything that can be done to improve the speeds I'm getting?

0 Likes
36 REPLIES 36

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 37

Interesting, thanks for letting us know. 

0 Likes

jamorama
Participant
Message 2 of 37

So, I've just had this resolved following a serious outage (Thames Water flooded my local DSLAM). The line had been running on the test socket long term. After the outage was resolved I never managed to speed test above 90mbps. An engineer came over this morning and spotted that my initial install was using the wrong faceplate. Now that I have a new faceplate, this time with "G-FAST" printed on the front, I have a faster sync than I have ever had and am able to use the main socket.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 37

Just to add, faceplate filters have been known to fail. Or perhaps more likely the plug in connectors have gone slightly awry. Luckily the type you have there is easily replaceable. 

Message 4 of 37

Well you can leave the router connected to the test socket indefinitely if it gives you a better connection. It's strange that the speed drops with the faceplate in place if you have no extension wiring. Extension wiring can cause interference but if you have none then this would indicate a potential fault with the faceplate which is a bit unusual.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 37

Thanks Chris,

What are the next steps, beyond waiting?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 37

Thanks for the photos. Your sync speed is back up to 141.0 so it is pointing to some issue with the faceplate  or internal wiring (if there is any)

I think the most likely explanation for the short wire sticking out from the beading is that it's one end of a telephone extension that plugged into the master socket and ran behind the beading to an extension socket

Could you leave the modem connected to the test socket for the time being to make sure that the speed is stable

Thanks
Chris

Message 7 of 37
As you can see, the "BT Style Phone Plug" I refer to, is a cable literally hanging out of the skirting board. Not my doing, but it looks like someone's DIY go at an extension. I am not aware of any sockets fixed or otherwise elsewhere in the house, nor do I want or need any.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 37

Sure, here you go.PXL_20201022_110436323.jpgPXL_20201022_110447964.jpgPXL_20201022_110427740.jpgPXL_20201022_110434407.jpg

0 Likes

Message 9 of 37

OK thanks,

Would you be able to post a photo of the BT style phone plug?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 37

OK, we're back on the test socket now.

So far as I am aware, there is no extension wiring coming out of the master socket, although there is a BT style phone plug emerging from a wire out of the adjacent skirting board, unconnected.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 37

Hi jamorama,

Sync speed has dropped to 113.0, would it be possible to reconnect to he modem to the test socket and we'll see if the speeds come up again

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 37

Hi Fergueson,

This test was conducted under similar conditions to the (faster) tests, the only difference being that DSL was conected to the master socket faceplate rather than the test socket via a microfilter.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 37

Are you using a Cat6 cable for your wired speedtest with every other device disconnected? Otherwise it will like all likely max out at 100. 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 37

Hi Chris,

I've reattached the face-plate. A quick speed test using ookla looks considerably worse, via wired ethernet. 95.95 down, 14.75 up, 3ms ping. How does my sync look, and if it's bad am I just on test socket forever?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 37

OK thanks. Current sync speed is 142.0Mbps. Yes you could try reconnecting the face plate, if it causes the speed to drop you can always go back to the test socket

Chris

Message 16 of 37

Hi Chris,

It's the only socket in the house so far as I am aware. I'm not aware of any other sockets or evidence of wiring.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 37

Hi jamorama,

Thanks for the update. Current sync speed is 146Mbps, do you have any extension sockets or is the master socket the only socket in the house?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 37

OK,

After leaving this to rest for a week 🙂 I've just done two speed tests on two different laptops via wired ethernet:

* 2ms ping, 120.81 down, 17.64 up
* 2ms ping, 118.58 down, 17.68 up

These seem just about in the range of healthy. I am still on the test socket - do I leave it that way forever, or shall I reattach the front plate given that I've made a few other changes  to reduce interference (turning off a DECT cordless phone and removing a pair of powerline adapters)?

It would also be good to know what my sync speed is, since I don't know of any way of getting that from the modem myself. I can see that my measured line speed on the service status portal is up to a comparatively whopping 136mbit/sec!

0 Likes

Message 19 of 37

OK thanks, could you run some speed tests over the weekend and we'll pick this up again on Monday, see if there's been any improvement  

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 37

Yes, it is. I've just left it sitting there connected consistently apart from when I've been asked to restart the router and modem.

0 Likes