FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFAST connection frequently drops

Joffman
Team Player
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

My GFAST connection is becoming increasingly unreliable. The Internet and DSL lights on the GFAST BT modem frequently go out. The problem corrects itself within a few minutes - but it's annoying and very disruptive for my work.

This has been an ongoing problem for a long time. I seem to have periods of relative stability - but then I have periods when the connections drops many times during the day.

Earlier this year, a few Openreach Engineers came to my house because of the same problem and they replaced the cable from the cabinet to my home. They also replaced the master socket. After that was done, it appeared that my connection was stable.

But the problem has started happening again.

Whenever I call Talk Talk support, they test the line and they can find no faults - which is the nature of an intermittent problem. 

I'm using my own router - but the problem is with the GFAST BT modem or with the line to the cabinet - because the problem persists even if I use the Talk Talk router. The fact that the Internet and DSL lights on the GFAST modem keep going out indicates that the problem is with the Modem or line and not the router. 

Since BT Openreach Engineers previously replaced the line, is it possible to please get a replacement BT GFAST Modem - to try eliminate that as a problem ?

Thanks

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi Joffman

I'm so glad to hear this, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Merry Christmas to you too 🙂

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Joffman
Team Player
Message 2 of 8

Hi Debbie,

I just wanted to thank you so much for arranging the Engineer visit. 

The Openreach Engineer who arrived today was probably the best and most thorough I've ever encountered. It took him a long time since he was very methodical but he found a small problem on the cable which enters my home. He replaced the cable and all the system tests seem to indicate that the problem has been resolved. Being an intermittent problem, only time will tell. But I'm hopeful it's now resolved once and for all.

I'll monitor the connection for the next while and provide an update. 

Thanks once again for arranging the Engineer. 

Thanks also for this community forum. Asking for assistance and advice on this forum is so much more efficient than calling Talk Talk.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year !

Message 3 of 8

Hi Joffman

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 21/12 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi Joffman

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi Debbie,

It would be great if you could please arrange an Engineer visit. Hopefully it's only the modem.

I've setup an internet monitor and it recorded at least 5 disconnects over the past 24 hours. Admittedly each disconnect only lasts a minute or two, but it's very annoying and disruptive for my work.

Thanks,

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 8

Hi Joffman

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see reconnections on the line.

Only an Openreach engineer can change the modem. Would you like me to arrange an engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Joffman,

The staff here won't be around until Monday, but they should respond to this post early next week to help.